Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

HFP-10 Battery Drain

Old 10-16-2005, 02:37 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HFP-10 Battery Drain

I've had my programmer for a few years now and it works great. However, I've always been annoyed with how quick the battery pack will drain when it's not in use. I've changed the battery with a brand new one with the same results. I cycled both the original and the new battery pack and they both show full capacity. Today I finally decided to check for any current draw with my digital multi-meter. I had a feeling it's been discharging the battery when it's turned off. I'm reading a .56mah discharge rate when it's turned off! At that rate, it'll completely discharge a charged 600 mah battery in about 45 days or an 1100mah battery in about 81 days. I knew something was up with that thing. Is this "normal"? Has anyone else out there notice how quick the battery goes down when the programmer is not in use? I'd like to know if this is due to the design, or if my unit has a problem.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:58 PM
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HFP-10 Battery Drain

This is an unfortunate realization of the power routing of the HFP-10 and is atypical of all units... If you intend to store the unit for extended periods of time many simply disconnect the battery.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the reply.

What exactly do you mean by "atypical of all units"? Does this mean some HFP-10's have this issue and some don't? Or are you telling me that all HFP-10's have this problem and it's something all HFP-10 owners have to live with?

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:56 PM
My Feedback: (62)

If it's any consolation, I leave mine plugged in to an old trickle charger.

Works fine_bob
Old 10-18-2005, 03:12 PM

That is how they all operate.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Bob. I actually have a few old trickle chargers that I built years ago. That's definately an easier way to go. Another thought I had was to add a micro switch to the end plate to isolate the battery, but I'd rather not modify the unit. In any case, I certainly didn't want to have to open it up and connect/disconnect the battery everytime I use it. (I don't use it all that often)

Michael,
"unfortunate realization of the power routing " sounds like a nice way of saying "faulty design". I can't imagine how the engineers missed this. Isolating battery power from circuitry with a switch is pretty simple stuff. Well, at least I know it's not defective.