Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Waterproofing a servo

Old 01-05-2006, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterproofing a servo

Hello,

I am using a Hitec HS645MG servo for steering my rc truck. I would like to know how water-resistant the stock servo is ( ie does it have rubber seals etc.. ).

Also, how could I make it more waterproof? I was thinking of sealing the case with sillicone, putting sillicone grease on the threads of the servos screws, and putting sillicone grease around the output gear.

My goal isn't to completely submerge the vehicle under water, but I want to play outside and here it's Winter... Some snow might get around the servo ( not much but some snow ).

I'm not worried about voiding the warranty... This servo is a "retired" airplane servo, and already out-of-warranty.

Thank you very much for any info you can provide.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:58 AM
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Waterproofing a servo

Silicone adhesives and sealers outgas and will damage electronics, stay away from these products...

Grease around the output gear sounds like a reasonable approach for this area.

Other products that are electronics safe (PFM and similar) are viable for the screws and servo pigtail grommet.

FWIW: Several companies offer an aerosol spray that is specifically designed to be sprayed on electronics to protect same from water damage.