Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Optic 6

Old 06-11-2006, 03:36 AM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optic 6

Thinking of picking up an Optic 6. Was wondering if all the problems this radio had when first released are fixed now?? The problems I have heard of range from bad glitching to the tramsmitter just stop working. I want to use it with a 3d foamy and even though the foamy planes are not expensive I dont want to crash due to a radio problem nor do I want to have it sent off to fix in a months time. I have noticed more complaints about the Optic 6 than any other radios manufactured. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Blake
Old 06-12-2006, 06:21 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Optic 6

The Optic is one of the most popular radios on the market thus more people talking about it. Be aware that only a very small percentage have any problems what so ever with it.

Mike.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Bone

Hi Blake,

I purchased an Optic 6 in July 2005 & am very pleased. Currently using it for 2 different aircraft, it has performed with any problems. I'd certainly buy another & highly recommend it.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:01 PM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having glitching problems with both Optic 6 radios I have. There is something wrong with the way the contact is made between the transmitter and the Spectra module. One of mine will stop transmitting completely. This is not some isolated problem.

One of them is 4 months old and the other is 2 months old. Both were purchased at Hobby People in Hesperia, CA
Old 06-20-2006, 08:05 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: still4given

I am having glitching problems with both Optic 6 radios I have. There is something wrong with the way the contact is made between the transmitter and the Spectra module. One of mine will stop transmitting completely. This is not some isolated problem.

One of them is 4 months old and the other is 2 months old. Both were purchased at Hobby People in Hesperia, CA
If the Spectra module does not fit snuggly in the TX pocket for same it can b e a problematic area. We've determined this of late as some Spectra module cases appear to be smaller physically than others. It would be prudent to send your gear to Hitec Service so any short comings can be addressed.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:50 AM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mglavin

ORIGINAL: still4given

If the Spectra module does not fit snuggly in the TX pocket for same it can b e a problematic area. We've determined this of late as some Spectra module cases appear to be smaller physically than others. It would be prudent to send your gear to Hitec Service so any short comings can be addressed.

Hi mglavin,

Thanks for the response. I have spoken with Hitec service and he told me to send in the radio. Unfortunately, I can't find my sales receipt. Not sure what to do about that. Do you know if Hitec has found a fix for this problem? I am having it with two separate transmitters so it's not just a fluke. I read where they have replaced them with new units for some folks but is there something different with the replacements than the unit I have, or are they going to be subject the same illness? If there is a known problem, shouldn't they be recalling these and fixing them BEFORE more people lose control of their planes? I lost 4 planes before I realized that it was my transmitter. Fortunately, the planes crashed in the field and not the pits.

Thanks, Terry
Old 09-07-2006, 06:17 PM
jhsg

i have owned a optic 6 for about 18 months now and run 5 models with it from a 140 size Katana through to my foamie.

I am surprised people are having problems with it as I have never had any what so ever even after spilling petrol on it and dropping it twice.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:24 PM
mylamo
My Feedback: (1)

My module fits very snugly in the pocket and
if it was any tighter fit I couldn't remove it to
change chanels. The contacts are definitely not
right. The trouble is in the spectra module,if
not for that I would love it. All my HiTec stuff
is top notch except for that.
Ralph
Old 09-08-2006, 08:26 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ralph,

If your having trouble with your module please forward it to Hitec Service for free inspection and repair...
Old 09-08-2006, 09:19 AM
billz

I've had my Optic 6 with a Spectra module for over a year now and have not had any problems. I been flying exclusively electric airplanes of various sorts. I'm even considering purchasing another (as a buddy box with computer mixing) as the Optic 6 still seems to have the most features I need for the money.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:11 PM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two - both with Spectra modules and haven't had any issues. Other than the small model memory (why I need two) and the inability to do Aileron Differential in Elevon mode, perfectly happy with them!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:25 PM
BMonee
Banned

From my personal experience with the Optic 6, no, the known glitches, faults and outright poor quality have not been fixed. I just sent mine in to the manufacturer in June and they replaced a bunch of guts in it. I just had to sent it back again because it completely died (when my plane was at 200 feet up).

If you want a radio to be unreliable and become unresponsive while your planes are in the air, this is probably the radio for you. If you need something more reliable, I would steer clear of this product like the plague.

BMonee