Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Optic 6, 3-D Heli Throttle Setup?

Old 08-26-2006, 11:55 PM
2xWhiskey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optic 6, 3-D Heli Throttle Setup?

I have an Optic 6 that I'm trying to set up for a T-Rex 450SE. The model type is set for HELI with 120' swashplate. The heli is an brushless electric and the ESC has settings for with and without governor.

Going through the radio manual, I can't figure how to set up the throttle function. When I bring the throttle stick up from the lowest position, the main blade pitch angle adjust accordingly, but the throttle increases from zero and up proportionally with the pitch. This doesn't make sense to me as how are you supposed to perform inverted flight with negative pitch and 50% to 0% throttle. Not to mention that at full negative pitch the throttle WILL be zero.

This is my first first time setting up a heli. Shouldn't there be a 3 position switch for; no throttle, mid-throttle, and full throttle? I was thinking that it would be switch 4, but that seems to be just for different rudder mix settings per throttle settings. I also thought that the left up/down stick for heli's should be pitch only, not along with throttle.

Please, explain to me how to figure this dilemma out.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:30 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Optic 6, 3-D Heli Throttle Setup?

Take a look at the Optic manual page 49 bottom right corner, inverted flight mode condition requires SW-1 in the down position.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:48 AM
2xWhiskey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I get the left up/down stick to control main blade pitch only? I don't want throttle control in that stick at all.

How do I get SW-4 to operate the throttle for; 0%, a midset value, and a full value? This is how I want to operate throttle.

I think what is confusing me is I've been using the Greatplanes Realflight sim and this is how the throttle and main blade's pitch is controlled. I think this would be the 'governed' mode in the ESC, but with it activated my situation doesn't change to what I was looking for.

Okay, I figured how to do the above by setting the throttle curve for the different switch positions of SW-4. I've set NOR(SW-4) for 0% in all 5 points, but the throttle kicks up when the left stick is in exact mid position. All other stick positions(with SW-4 in NOR) react with no throttle, which is what I'm looking for. Any clue as to what I'm doing wrong?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:17 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do I get the left up/down stick to control main blade pitch only? I don't want throttle control in that stick at all.
This can be accomplished in a flight condition. NOR would employ throttle coupled with pitch, user defined conditions can be setup for your whims.

How do I get SW-4 to operate the throttle for; 0%, a midset value, and a full value? This is how I want to operate throttle.

I don’t think this is plausible, I’ll look into same.

I think what is confusing me is I've been using the Greatplanes Realflight sim and this is how the throttle and main blade's pitch is controlled. I think this would be the 'governed' mode in the ESC, but with it activated my situation doesn't change to what I was looking for.
I’d suggest posting an inquiry in the Electric Heli Forum on model specific setup recommendations. I suspect there is a wealth of info available for your specific electric heli (TREX 450SE).