Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

HS5645MG Gear Play

Old 09-02-2006, 07:05 PM
StubbornSwiss
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HS5645MG Gear Play

Greetings!

I'm using Hitec 5645MG all round on a Funtana 90 - except throttle - on 6volts. My setup is good, no slop in linkage (I also fly heli's), but I noticed that with with power turned on, there is some play in the surfaces. I have traced this back to what appears to be some "gear play" INSIDE the servos. By the way, this is happening with ALL the 5645 servos, and they are all brand new.

I have not yet experienced any unusual happenings during flight, but I was wondering if this was kind of normal with these servos, and if not, what might I do to remedy it.

Thank you.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:54 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HS5645MG Gear Play

Typically metal geared servos have more play initially than the nylon brethren. That said IF you hold the servo arm fast and you don't realize any play or flex in the linkage system? Sometimes the linkage ratio exasperates the play realized. What size servo and control arms are used as well as the ATV percentages?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:54 PM
StubbornSwiss

Thanks for your quick reply!

To kind of clarify furthar, even with all the linkage disconnected, you can feel the gear play by moving the servo arm. I am using the largest arm that ships with the servo.

When you say "metal geared servos have more play initially", does this mean that eventually this play goes away? I'd appreciate if you'd explain this further to me.

Again, thank you.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:21 PM
tkilwein

removed.
Tony
Old 09-05-2006, 08:57 AM
StubbornSwiss

ORIGINAL: tkilwein

removed.
Tony
[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 09-05-2006, 09:13 AM
mglavin

ORIGINAL: justflying

To kind of clarify furthar, even with all the linkage disconnected, you can feel the gear play by moving the servo arm. I am using the largest arm that ships with the servo.

When you say "metal geared servos have more play initially", does this mean that eventually this play goes away? I'd appreciate if you'd explain this further to me.
The gear play is atypical of metal-geared servos of any manufacture. It’s simply the nature of the beast. NO the gear play will not "go away" or get better. The 5645 sport digital servos like all metal geared units will likely become looser as time goes on.

Our premium digital servos (59** series) are typically tighter when new, especially our Titanium geared units. If the gear slop is of concern you might consider stepping up to premium servos.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:38 AM
StubbornSwiss

Again, thanks for your response. And do forgive my ignorance.... I prefer to ask and learn, than to pretend I know.

Ok..... so this is a normal situation, and I guess with use and normal wear and tear the play actually increases. At that point can the servos be sent in to have the gears changed, or is this something one can do oneself? Is this expensive?

At this point in my flying - regular sport, just getting into aerobatics and hopefully some 3D () - do you think a Srvo Programmer would be of any benefit to me?

Again many thanks!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:07 PM
mglavin

The Programmer is a valuable tool and is unequaled in our industry from programming Hitec Digital servos to model set-up, servo testing, RX signal output and more (servo testing and RX outputs is available on any brand). Do you really need the programmer, no! The Programmer does allow you to match your TX and model specific setup without ancillary gadgets. The Programmer is an invaluable IMO; I would recommend it as an addition to your tool box.

Gears are replaced by Hitec Service for a flat fee of $15.00 parts and labor...
Old 09-05-2006, 01:32 PM
StubbornSwiss

Michael,

I do appreciate all your help. I'll be watching the servo's and when I think the play is excessive I'll send them in.

I'll also be looking at getting a programmer...... I generally can't resist another gadget anyway!!

Till next time.......

Albert