Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

replacing 5945 servo case

Old 12-11-2006, 10:19 AM
RVBlack
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing 5945 servo case

The top half of my 5945 servo case is damaged where the little pin goes into the hole (the top hole is damaged). The bottom hole does not appear to be damaged, the top half is easy to replace, is there a trick to take the guts out of the bottom half case? or should I just replace the top half case. I would like to replace the whole case since I have it. Experienced answer's only. Thanks
Old 12-11-2006, 11:12 AM
badfish

Default RE: replacing 5945 servo case

http://www.servocity.com/html/hitec_...case_sets.html
10 bucks at servo city. you get the whole case plus the 4 screws.
steve
Old 12-11-2006, 11:17 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just replace the top halve of the case, removing the bottom halve is little more complicated.

Was the servo involved in an altercation i.e., crash damage or hangar rash? I'm specifically interested in the how and why the top case gear axle pin boss was damaged?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:09 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Changing the bottom half of the servo case is a bit more involved but when I went to repair my servo's I fould that the pin boss in the bottom half of the case was slightly out of round and that was enough to cause the gears to bind so the bottom half had to be replaced along with the top. When replacing the bottom half you will probably expose the pot wiper for the motor circuit and will have to be really careful to get everything put back in place but it isn't all that difficult if you take your time.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 PM
mglavin

In the case of our digital servos you’ll have to break three solder joints to remove the internals from the bottom case halve. I’d recommend sending the servo to Hitec Service cost is minimal if anything.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:21 PM
RVBlack

ORIGINAL: mglavin

I would just replace the top halve of the case, removing the bottom halve is little more complicated.

Was the servo involved in an altercation i.e., crash damage or hangar rash? I'm specifically interested in the how and why the top case gear axle pin boss was damaged?
Yes the servo was in a little crash, but the pin boss was not broke, the hole is elongated. I would like to replace the bottom case too, if someone can walk me through it. (any little "do this or don't do that") would help
Old 12-11-2006, 06:29 PM
mglavin

Crash damage results in elongating the pin boss hole, the shock loads imposed from the surface are transferred into the gear train on impact seen it many times.

I'll see if I can get you specific info for do it yourself work, I assume your astute with a soldering iron, SMT PC boards and have a low power soldering iron?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:45 PM
RVBlack

ORIGINAL: mglavin

Crash damage results in elongating the pin boss hole, the shock loads imposed from the surface are transferred into the gear train on impact seen it many times.

I'll see if I can get you specific info for do it yourself work, I assume your astute with a soldering iron, SMT PC boards and have a low power soldering iron?
please give me the do it yourself info, I'll take a good look at it then decide to do it or not. What should I look for when inspecting the bottom half ? If there is no obvious damage and the pin hole looks good do you think the bottom half is ok? I thank you again.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:00 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

In my experience the servo's that had damage to the bottom pin boss had gear mesh problems when I just put on a new top. The gears would bind and that let me know that the bottom pin hole was off. Once I replaced the bottom case the gear mesh problem went away. On the servo's with no bottom hole problem, replacing just the top case was all that was necessary.