Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Terrible chatter from Eclipse 7s (mine and friends)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 01:58 PM
kwelz
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrible chatter from Eclipse 7s (mine and friends)

Everyone in my flying circle except a couple very advanced flyers use Eclipse 7 Radios as our mains. We all love them so I almost hate to complain.

However a couple of us have noticed we get a lot more servo Chatter when we use the Eclipse.
I tested it out this weekend. and here is what happened.

Caliber 30 Helicopter.
JR 6 channel Reciever on channel 17.
Helicopter was not running..
When the Eclipse was turned on the servos would chatter for a second then stop. At random times throughout the next 5 minutes or so they would do it again..

Tried it out with my Friends Eclipse with the same results..

I grabed my my old JR 662 and tried it out.
Not the slightest twitch from any servo.

Now in a plane this is really just an annoyance since even when it has happened on landings it hasn't killed anyone.

However in a Helicopter it has caused 3 crashes as far as we can tell.

I used to think it was just me doing a bad job but when a Competition level Helicopter pilot augers in from a rock steady hover about 3 feet off the ground we knew something must be up. That is what led us to start testing and checking things..

We have experimented with three Eclipse 7 Radios, many different recievers, different airframes, etc. And we still get the chatter.

Is the Eclipse more suceptable to outside interferance? Is this why it has problems when our JRs do not?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:46 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not an expert here but I have been using the Hitec Eclipse for the last 2 years -- no unusual occurences have been noted, compared to both my Futaba 8AU and Futaba 9C. I do, however, use Hitec and Futaba RXs.

I'm thinking there is some problem with your Hitec/JR TX/RX combination. If my understanding is correct, the JR RX is a single conversion setup. The rest of industry has gone with dual-conversion. This might be the cause of your chatter. Hitec and Futaba RXs sample the signal twice to elliminate spurious signals. I'm not sure but I think the TX depends on this.

Someone who understands this better should chime in.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:15 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

There shouldn't be problem but I too am thinking it may have something to do with the RX. Are you using the Spectra module?

Mike.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:32 PM
kwelz
My Feedback: (6)

Originally posted by MikeMayberry
There shouldn't be problem but I too am thinking it may have something to do with the RX. Are you using the Spectra module?

Mike.
I should have been more clear.

Yes I am using the Spectra module as are all my friends.
THe only non JR rx we used was a much older Hitec.

Should I perhaps pick up a Futaba or newer hitec reciever to test with?

The only other reciever I own is a hitech 4 channel featherweight. I can check on it tonight.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:34 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

I have seen in the past that some of the older JR receivers acted wierd when using the Spectra but worked fine with the single freq. module. We might be able to tweek the Spectra to work better with that RX but you would need to send the Transmitter with the Spectra and the JR RX in.

Mike.