Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

New HFP-10 Programmer will not Reset 5645

Old 01-01-2007, 08:21 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HFP-10 Programmer will not Reset 5645

I have a new HFP-10(from tower) and am trying to program a 5645 servo. The servo is a v1.4.

1) Step 1 of directions say to reset the servo.

2)When I push the input button with programer set to Program reset the programer says searching for about 1 sec and then loops back to reset servo insead of showing the up and down arrow screen so I can proceed to push up and down at the same time.

3)I know the servo is plugged in to the programmer correctly because I can go into manual mode and move the servo around.

Where can I find help on troubleshooting this? I have tried 2 5645's with the same result.

Thanks,

STG

Edit: Does the receiver have to be plugged into the programmer and operating with transmitter on in order to reset the servo and program a servo reverse? If so, this may be why I am getting no results.

Edit: I plugged in a receiver and have the same results. Watched the DOD instructional vid 1 and have it set up the same way.http://www.downonthedeck.com/videos_instruction.htm (I notice he does not show to reset before programming)

I think I have it plugged in correctly because now I can test the voltage--says 6.1v. Again, when the programmer goes to search in Reset or program CCW/CW it just loops back to the beginning about a 1sec after starting the search

My programmer should be updated as with the latest. I just received it from tower and it was on back order. When I power it up it does not say what ver software.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:51 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New HFP-10 Programmer will not Reset 5645

The servo must be plugged in directly to the Programmer, the RX is not in play for the RESET function or anything other than the PULSE test and rail voltage .
Old 01-02-2007, 01:58 PM
STG

ORIGINAL: mglavin

The servo must be plugged in directly to the Programmer, the RX is not in play for the RESET function or anything other than the PULSE test and rail voltage .
3)I know the servo is plugged in to the programmer correctly because I can go into manual mode and move the servo around.
This is what I thought until I watched the DOD vids and then thought maybe I should follow his set-up

Yes, I have been plugging the servo directly into the programmer servo output--I know I am connected correctly because I can go into manual mode(on programmer) and move the servo around.

When the programmer searched in Reset or program CCW/CW it just loops back to the beginning about a 1sec after starting the search.

When in the CCW/cw mode it does not move to show direction it just loops back just like reset.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:36 AM
STG

Is it the case that I have a bad programmer? Should I send it back to Tower? Can I be missing something here? Are there any troubleshooting guidelines that I can follow?

I am willing to make a movie clip of my problem and send it to an email address if you think that may help.

It would show:

1) The servo hooked up to the programmer and the servo arm moving in the S-Test manual mode
2) Change menu to Program reset
3) Pushing input button and programmer searching for a few sec
4) Programmer looping back to the Program Reset screen and not moving to the next screen where servo can be reset with UP and Down button together.
5) Change menu to Program cw/ccw
6) Pushing input button and programmer searching for a few sec
7) Programmer looping back to the Program cw/ccw screen and not moving to the next screen where servo rotation can be adjusted.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Bobby Folsom

STG, I have the same problem with the servo rotation portion of the programer. I kept going in circles until I hit the right combination of key pushes. Unfortunately, I didn't record exactly what I did to get it to work but it finally did work.

One major problem I have with the programmer is a lack of installation pictures and clear instructions. I think Hitec needs to do a better job on the instruction sheet!! Once you get something to work, it works pretty well - but it takes more effort than it should.

Bobby
Old 01-03-2007, 02:57 PM
STG

ORIGINAL: Bobby Folsom

STG, I have the same problem with the servo rotation portion of the programer. I kept going in circles until I hit the right combination of key pushes. Unfortunately, I didn't record exactly what I did to get it to work but it finally did work.

One major problem I have with the programmer is a lack of installation pictures and clear instructions. I think Hitec needs to do a better job on the instruction sheet!! Once you get something to work, it works pretty well - but it takes more effort than it should.

Bobby
The instructions and the DOD video make the right combination of key pushes easy for Reset Servo and Servo Rotation. Have you watched the video's? They are just like the instructions.

http://www.downonthedeck.com/videos_instruction.htm (I notice he does not show to reset before programming)

I have a newer version of software on this programmer than what DOD has. Is it possible that the keystrokes are different for the V1.4 software than is written in the instructions?

Old 01-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Bobby Folsom

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to watch the video for the fourth time to see what I missed.

Bobby
Old 01-04-2007, 09:42 AM
mglavin

I'll have to pull out a servo and utilize the RESET function and report back. MY recollection is the v1.04 equipped Programmers differ from the published operating manuals in that they no longer rotate lock <> lock during the RESET function as noted in the manual.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:51 AM
STG

I'll have to pull out a servo and utilize the RESET function and report back. MY recollection is the v1.04 equipped Programmers differ from the published operating manuals in that they no longer rotate lock <> lock during the RESET function as noted in the manual.
Thank you very much for your help mglavin. I will monitor the thread.

-- Knowing that the 1.04 may be differnt from what is published and DOD movies I may have another go at it here as well.

Is there anywhere else that you can think of that I might find some updated info on this?

Old 01-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Bobby Folsom

I went round and around wtih the programmer this morning trying to get the settings to "take". The neither the servo dB width nor the servo speed would stay from what I had dialed in. I tried the input button, the M button, both together - nothing worked. Everytime I turned the know with a different program, the settings changed. I followed the instruction sheet that came with the programmer exactly. What gives?

I appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Thanks.

Bobby
Old 01-07-2007, 10:04 AM
STG

I went round and around wtih the programmer this morning trying to get the settings to "take". The neither the servo dB width nor the servo speed would stay from what I had dialed in. I tried the input button, the M button, both together - nothing worked. Everytime I turned the know with a different program, the settings changed. I followed the instruction sheet that came with the programmer exactly. What gives?

Thanks.

Bobby
Bobby does your Reset or Program cw/ccw function work on your programmer? Do you have the newer software loaded on yours(V1.4).

I spent about 1/2 hour trying to get something to happen this morning, but came away with nothing new. Only function seems to be S-test manual, voltage & measure pulse(last two with radio in the loop). Everything else starts searching and loops back to beginning without moving on. [&:]
Old 01-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Bobby Folsom

ORIGINAL: STG

Thanks.

Bobby
Bobby does your Reset or Program cw/ccw function work on your programmer? Do you have the newer software loaded on yours(V1.4).

I spent about 1/2 hour trying to get something to happen this morning, but came away with nothing new. Only function seems to be S-test manual, voltage & measure pulse(last two with radio in the loop). Everything else starts searching and loops back to beginning without moving on. [&:]
STG, the number on the end of the programmer is 06.3. I haven't seen any menu where the version number showed up. One thing though, I think the settings take because they show up in the "X" side of the reading. The key strokes are confusing to get there but I think it does finally work.

Persevere and hang in there.

Bobby

Bobby
Old 01-07-2007, 09:07 PM
SU29
My Feedback: (20)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check you connections between the servo and programmer. If you are using an extension between the programmer and servo it could be defective. Also make sure the lead going into the programmer is matched with the polarity that is written on the side of the programmer. If you haven't yet, try another servo and see if you get the same results. My 2c worth.

Hope I haven't step over the line by posting here?

Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2007, 12:06 AM
STG

ORIGINAL: SU29

Check you connections between the servo and programmer. If you are using an extension between the programmer and servo it could be defective. Also make sure the lead going into the programmer is matched with the polarity that is written on the side of the programmer. If you haven't yet, try another servo and see if you get the same results. My 2c worth.

Hope I haven't step over the line by posting here?

Good Luck!
Where can I find help on troubleshooting this? I have tried 2 5645's with the same result.
Thanks for trying, but you must not have read my original posts?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:11 PM
SU29
My Feedback: (20)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read your origianl post, I had the same issue with two aileron servos that were mounted in the plane and I was using a long extension between the programmer and servos and decided to change it out and when I need things came to life. Good luck, hope you figure it out and don't have to go through the trouble of sending it in.

Later
Old 01-08-2007, 11:17 PM
bentgear

Bobby, if you don't get it figured out with your programmer let me know and you are welcome to use mine, I'll even help out if you need it.

BTW, do you think Vicksburg will get an IMAC event this year?

Ed M.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:26 AM
STG

Ok, now I have tried 2 other servo's (5625's) with the same results. No extensions. Servo's plugged directly into programmer and I can go into manual mode to move the servo around so I must be plugged in correctly.

On Reset and CW/CCW the menu just loops back to the main menu after searching for a couple sec.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:17 AM
mglavin

Step by step directions to perform the RESET function below..

UP/L or DN/R key to scroll to >Program Reset

Push the INPUT button to activate Reset search.

Reset "up <> down" should now be displayed

Push and hold down the "UP" and "DN" keys simultaneously.

Reset Success should splash across the screen, therafter >Program Reset should be displayed.

The servo output shaft/horn does not rotate in the RESET mode with the revision v1.04 programmers. All other programmers to the best of my recollection rotate the servo output shaft/horn in the RESEST mode lock to lock.

Programmer revision version numbers are splashed across the screen momentarily on early units at start-up, i.e., v1.02-v1.03.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:25 AM
mglavin

Step by step directions to perform CW/CCW function below..

UP/L or DN/R key to scroll to >Program cw/ccw.

Push the INPUT button to activate cc/ccw search.

cw/ccw and the programmed parameter “cw” or “ccw” should now be displayed.

Push and hold down the "UP" or "DN" to change the rotation respectively.

Use the INPUT button to exit the cw/ccw mode.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:41 AM
STG

At this point my programmer searches for a couple sec and then loops back to the Program cw/ccw screen. It never makes it to the cw/ccw and the programmed parameter “cw” or “ccw” should now be displayed.
----------------------
Same goes for Reset funtion. Again, after it searches for a couple sec it never makes it to the Reset "up <> down" should now be displayed screen. It just loops back to the previous screen.

I have tried two 5645's and two 5625's with the same results. No extensions. Servo's plugged directly into programmer and I can go into manual mode to move the servo around so I must be plugged in correctly.
----------------------

Programmer revision version numbers are splashed across the screen momentarily on early units at start-up, i.e., v1.02-v1.03.
This does not happen with mine because it is new and is v1.04?

---------------------

Sounds like this new unit is not working properly. How do I go about getting this programmer working correctly? Does it go back to Tower or to Hitec?

Old 01-09-2007, 10:48 AM
mglavin

Send the Programmer to Hitec Service for free inspection and return shipping and or to Tower for a replacement.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:27 PM
STG

Send the Programmer to Hitec Service for free inspection and return shipping and or to Tower for a replacement.
I did send it back to tower and have received what is supposed to be a new unit back and once again I have exactly the same programing results.

I have no trouble following the operating manual going into S-test Auto and S-Test Manual and following through all the steps--everything works fine with the servo. This should ensure that I have the servo (5645's and 5625's no extensions) plugged into the programmer correctly--correct?

When I go from the S-test mode to Reset or CW/CCW

AT THIS POINT AFTER SERCHING FOR A FEW SEC IT LOOPS BACK TO Program cw/ccw SCREEN

Results are the same with Program Reset.

Could it be the case that all 4 servos I am trying to program 5625's and 5645's v1.4 are not compatible with this programmer?

Maybe tower sent the same programmer back to me?[&:]

This is very frustrating, as I need to get some servos reversed. [:@]
Old 01-27-2007, 12:34 PM
skydiver

I had the same problem. Borrowed a friend's unit and everything worked as advertised.

Sent mine back to Hitec and they've had it for over two weeks. Called and was told they have a back-order on "program chips" and they expect to receive them next week. This is not a complicated device to operate, yet some feel you aren't following instructions.

Good Luck
Old 01-27-2007, 12:55 PM
STG

ORIGINAL: skydiver

I had the same problem. Borrowed a friend's unit and everything worked as advertised.

Sent mine back to Hitec and they've had it for over two weeks. Called and was told they have a back-order on "program chips" and they expect to receive them next week. This is not a complicated device to operate, yet some feel you aren't following instructions.

Good Luck
This is the only answer that makes any sense. I make my living working with complex software that requires me to find "work arounds" that are not included in any directions and I can't follow these simple instructions? They did a very good job making this programmer very simple to operate.

It does get my blood going a little bit to think that I am wasting my time and shipping costs on a unit that is supposed to be delivered to me new and in working condition. Don't get me wrong, I am in manufacturing and I know that the best still don't get everything right the first time. It just would have been nice to know that sending this back to Tower for a new unit could have quite possible landed me the same defective "program chip".

Old 02-15-2007, 11:29 PM
toprudder

STG,

Don't feel bad, I have a brand new unit with exactly the same symptoms as yours.

The version number does not flash on the display during power up.

There is a sticker with 06.10 on the end of the programmer.

I have tried multiple brand new 5955 and 5985 servos plugged directly into the programmer. I can operate the servos manually with no problem, so I know it is not a bad connection to the servo.

The reset goes to "search.." for a couple of seconds, then blank for a split second, then back to the ">program reset". I never get to any other screen for pressing "up/L" "DN/R" or the "success" display.

The cw/ccw function does exactly as you described - cycles back to the original display. I can plug the servo in or not, it acts the same either way. It acts like a bad connection, but if that were the case then I would not be able to operate the servo manually.

The instructions that came with mine differ from the manual that can be downloaded from the HitecRCD website. Under the Program Reset function, steps C and D are covered with a sticker, with a new step C (and no step D) which reads:

"C. After completion the screen will read "success". Now the servo is set to the exact setting it had when it was new."

The difference is that the old step C is gone, which says the servo will cycle to both extremes. Guess a few people broke some linkages while resetting their servos. ;-)

It sounds to me like Hitec shipped some defective units. Makes me wonder about their quality control, and I just bought 10 of their digital servos, too. Hmmm.

I'm not really worried, a couple of guys in the club have had good service from Hitec. This is just going to set me back a little, timewise.

Bob R.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.