Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

HFP10 programmer

Old 02-10-2008, 04:20 PM
rceagle
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HFP10 programmer

I would like to find out if I could send in my HFP10 programmer and have it upgraded to a HFP20. I think it REALLY SUCKS BAD if Hitec decides to not offer this service to loyal Hitec customers that own a HFP10 that won't work with the new series servo's without having to have to buy another over 100.00 programmer when a software update to the HFP10 would make it the same exact unit.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Capt Midnight

Default RE: HFP10 programmer

Get used to it my friend. I already tried to get my dealer (the largest in Illinois) to have Hitec upgrade the firmware from V1.0 to V2.0 Guess what came back 2 months later from Hitec with a very terse note attached stating that "they" don't upgrade their programmers...

Right on!

So I'm out $150 bucks because Hitec does not offer an upgrade path to their good customers for the new HFP-20 programmer, because they want you to buy a brand-new one instead, at full list price (have you checked Tower's prices lately?). Never mind that the new HFP-20 is backwards-compatible with the old 59XX series digital servos, because by mid-summer, the "old" 59XX series servos will be declared officially obsoleted by the new 79XX series servos, and will ultimately be discontinued by all the major dealers and distributors.

How so, you ask???

Simple! Who in their right mind would pay $89.99 for a 59XX series servo, when for $5.00 more, one could buy a 79XX series servo with EXACTLY the same speed and torque ratings, PLUS get 2X the resolution and a current limiter function for just about the same price. So sales of the 59XX series servo will decline, and the servo will be discontinued shortly thereafter.

Don't believe me? Check the prices of the major dealers and distributors on the West Coast. They've already tumbled to whats going on, and are starting to discount the 59XX series in order to clear out inventory. Most tell me they will be carrying the 79XX series servo at the same price as the 59XX.

As far as Tower is concerned... When they first listed the 7965 servo (the new replacement for the 5965 servo) they did so with the same $89.99 price. Within the last week, they raised the price of the 7965 to $94.99, thereby making the 5965 seem like a "good deal" at $89.99. Regarding the programmers, Tower is listing BOTH at $154.99, with no disclaimer that the HFP-10 will not work with with the newer servos, and nothing at all about the HFP-20 being backwards-compatible with the older servos (it is).

So I'm sitting here with $600.00 worth of servos that I bought in August, that I WOULD NOT have had I known about the 79XX servos, and a $154.99 boat anchor that I bought at the same time, wondering if I should stay with Hitec in the future.

You are right my friend, it SUCKS BAD, and it is definitely "Buyer Beware" time with Hitec.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:11 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Unfortunatley, the new HFP-20 uses a new board; it is not just a software update so the HFP-10 cannot be updated. You will however still be able to use the HFP-10 programmer with the new 79XX series servos but you will not be able to utilize the servo overload protection feature or reduce the resolution from High to STD if you want to program the servo travel for greater than 90 total degrees of travel.

So you are not being forced to upgrade your programmer with the new servos as the HFP-10 will still program them just like they were the 5XXX series with the exception of the extended EPA due to the default High Resolution setting. Not that if you do program the new 7XXX series servos beyond 90 degrees (45 deg. each direction) with the HFP-20 you will have to go back to the standard resolution.

I agree if would have been nice to be able to update the HFP-10, but unfortunatley it was maxed out with the processor it uses, so the HFP-20 had to be made in order to advance our servo technology.

Mike
Old 02-19-2008, 06:21 AM
rceagle
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Mike, Thanks for the reply. I see where it would be impossible to up grade the programmer software wise. If my HFP-10 failed what would it cost to have the HFP-20 board installed by you guys? Surely it would be less than a whole HFP-20 since my case and battery would be fine.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Brendan Lugo

ORIGINAL: rceagle

Hey Mike, Thanks for the reply. I see where it would be impossible to up grade the programmer software wise. If my HFP-10 failed what would it cost to have the HFP-20 board installed by you guys? Surely it would be less than a whole HFP-20 since my case and battery would be fine.

$90 is the flat rate repair fee for the programmer if it were not repairable.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:35 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Is the $90 for the 10, or to replace the 10 board with a 20?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Brendan Lugo

The 10 is discontinued and I believe out of stock. So, it would have to be replaced with the 20.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:44 AM
wowie

Does anybody know where to find the video that shows the HFP10 in action? There used to be a three part video of a guy showing how to use the HFP10 servo programmer. It was a great video and was originally on the web site "Down On The Deck". If anybody could send me a link to the video I would really appreciate it. About a year ago a guy sent me the link to the video but somehow I lost it. So if anybody could remember where to find the video, please let me know. My email address is "[email protected]"
Best regards,,, Phil
Old 11-11-2010, 04:00 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wowie Does anybody know where to find the video that shows the HFP10 in action? There used to be a three part video of a guy showing how to use the HFP10 servo programmer. It was a great video and was originally on the web site "Down On The Deck". If anybody could send me a link to the video I would really appreciate it. About a year ago a guy sent me the link to the video but somehow I lost it. So if anybody could remember where to find the video, please let me know. My email address is "[email protected]" Best regards,,, Phil
<dt>Digital Servo Instruction Videos - Programming with HFP-10
( following post #10 may also assist)
see also sub section "Servo - Digital Servo, Programmers and Software" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T. </dt>
Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 PM
wowie

ORIGINAL: A.T.

ORIGINAL: wowie Does anybody know where to find the video that shows the HFP10 in action? There used to be a three part video of a guy showing how to use the HFP10 servo programmer. It was a great video and was originally on the web site ''Down On The Deck''. If anybody could send me a link to the video I would really appreciate it. About a year ago a guy sent me the link to the video but somehow I lost it. So if anybody could remember where to find the video, please let me know. My email address is ''[email protected]'' Best regards,,, Phil
<dt>http://Digital Servo Instruction Vid...ng with HFP-10
( following post #10 may also assist)
see also sub section ''Servo - Digital Servo, Programmers and Software'' at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T. </dt>

Hi Alan,
Thanks for sending me the link to the videos, and they were exactly what I was searching for. I don't know how you guy's do it. I must have spent at least an hour searching for them, until I finally gave up in disgust. My brain just couldn't function anymore so I threw in the towle and asked for help. Maybe I should have asked for help in the first place, and could have saved myself all that aggrivation. Isn't that just like us RC jocks? Its like when we go to the flying field, and we've brought the plane that we slaved over for a few months. First, we take out all the parts to the plane and walk it over to our favorite set up stand. At first we have this cocky look of confidence as we start to assemble the plane, but as time goes on we start to slow everything down because its never this easy, right? Then, once the plane is all together, we stand back and take a good look at it,,, and if we were smart, we'd take a few pictures of it before that first flight, because we might not see it again, at least all in one piece. It wouldn't be the first time its happened. We all know that feeling all to well. That's why I try to pick a day when nobody else will be at the flying field, so that if it does happen, nobody else will whitness the disaster. Its one thing to crash, but it really stinks when it happens in front of other people. And its never my fault because I know I hooked up all the linkages to the ailerons,, right?,,, uhh O,,, I might have forgotten to hook up the left one,,, maybe that's why it wouldn't come out of that right hand spin. Oh boy,,, here we go again. Its back to the barn to start the repairs. Maybe I'll have it fixed up by next weekend,,, we'll see. Anyway,,,, Thanks again Alan for the video link. If I pay attention this time maybe I'll get it right and I'll have a nice plane to fly for the summer. Take care everybody,,, enjoy the cooler weather,,,, spring is just around the corner.