Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Servo recommendation, please

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:03 AM
BillHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo recommendation, please

I've read everything available, but I think I've hit "information overload" and have gotten indecisive...

I'm building a 1/4 scale PZL Wilga, which is a civilian STOL plane, with a weight of about 27 pounds and a wingspan of 110", to be powered by a 4.8 c.i. gas engine. It will be flown "scale", which means STOL, high-alpha landings, and the flaps will get a workout.

The control surface areas are:

Ailerons: 105 sq_in (each)
Flaps: 130 sq_in (each)
Rudder: 85 sq_in
Elevator: 200 sq_in (100 per half, split elevator and dual servos to be used)

My first inclination is to use HS 5625 MG (HS 5645 MG on the flaps), but I'm wondering if I can justify coreless digital (ie, the 59xx series)?

Rather than use a complicated tailwheel linkage, I've decided to operate the tailwhel with a separate mini-servo, such as an HS 85 MG. The tailwheel linkage will be pull-pull with shock-absorbing springs.

I've not decided what to use for the throttle (Walbro carb with return spring). I'm inclined to think an HS 5475 HB, but also recall a caution about Karbonite gears and gassers.

Last thing: I'm planning to use a Fusion 9 Synth IPD Rx on the plane. For years the recommendation has been to use dual receivers on large scale, but receivers have become very reliable in the past few years, and some think that a dual Rx is needlessly redundant. Dual batteries/switches, yes. Would a dual Fusion setup be necessary?

This is my Major Super-detailed Large Scale project, and although I don't want to skimp on anything, I also don't want to build myself into the poorhouse...

Thanks,

--Bill

Old 04-11-2008, 02:29 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo recommendation, please

Sorry for the delay in this reply as I have been out of the office. It sould like you are on the right track but I would definately consider the coreless motor servos; to be honest, the analog 985MG would be a great choice. You really don't need digital for this application.

I'd probably steer you away from the digital on the throttle too but the Karbonite should be okay... the 475HB or 635HB would be good choices.

I hope this helps!

Mike.