Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Programer-Don't want Mike's answer

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 02:01 PM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Programer-Don't want Mike's answer

Has anyone jumped the diode in the programmer, or maybe put a charge wire hanging out? Anything? This is a Royal PITA. Hitec put a 1100 ma nicad in the thing, and literally there is no way to reasonably charge the battery. Although Hitec claims you can fast charge the unit, this appears to be my only real options.

1. Charge the battery using a standard 50 ma wall transformer for something like two days. Frustrating when the first indication you get is "battery is low" and just stops working.

2. Get out your tools and completely disassemble the unit to get to the battery then peak charge.

Almost all of our fast chargers today are peak detection chargers that require the charger to read the voltage of the battery. At least with our transmitters we can open the battery door and charge.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:51 PM
bentgear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wings, I hate to tell you this, but all my fast chargers work fine on the programmer. Just can't discharge.
Ed M.

Tried it with:
Dymond Super Turbo Charger
Novak Mellenium
Tekin 112
CE Turbo 30
Old 06-15-2003, 08:12 PM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bentgear,
I have a super turbo also & It won't charge it... In fact it can't see any voltage from the charge Jack.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	86732_1548.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	50582  
Old 06-15-2003, 09:38 PM
bentgear

Just for a quick test, don't have my voltmeter available now, plugged it into the Dymond and pushed enter to start a charge. Also did it on a regular 4.8 volt pack. Startup time was similar with both so I don't think mine is doing anything special. Also tried again to discharge and failed so it does have a diode in it. Don't know what to tell you.
Ed M.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:32 AM
golf_lake

The diode is to prevent reverse polarity being applied to the unit and destroying it and the servo’s, your charger should still detect peak charge as usual, bearing in mind if you charge at a rate higher than the diode can handle you will destroy the diode anyway. Refer to your manual.

If you are prepared to accept responsibility for any mistakes you make just jumper the diode.

It was put there to protect the unit from the end user.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:00 AM
Mr T.

Todays fast chargers have reverse polarity detection and they don't even start charging and beep like hell if polarity is reverse.
The only real danger is when you unplug charging cable which has banana plugs at charger end and you do it first on that end. One moment of carelesness bananas come in contact and puff goes the PCB lead and/or battery wire. Leaving your device essentially dead but not fried, all you have to do then is repair the wire or PCB which is a major PITA.

Moral of the story;

First disconnect the cable at the device you were charging and only after that disconnect banana plugs from charger