Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

A9 Stick tension

Old 05-23-2010, 04:07 AM
Grex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A9 Stick tension

This is my first radio so please forgive me if i dont use the correct terms.

The radio was in mode 1 when I purchased it and had no problem changing the software and the stick over to mode 2. Now I have the trottle on the left and the stick is "loose". If I tilt the radio unit the stick will move. I would like a little bit of resistance so it will just hold its position.

Now according the the documentation and the FAQ I should just need to use J3 to adjust the stick tension. Ive used a small screwdriver as specified but nothing seems to happen, regardless of which way I turn it. If even tried the other adjuster screws i.e. J1,j2,j4 - same result, no apparent change in stick tension.

What am I doing wrong? Im sure its me and not the radio..

Cheers
Grex
Old 05-23-2010, 05:51 AM
JIMF14D

Default RE: A9 Stick tension

Look at it closely. Some people here have reported they are hex (allen) head screws. Also search here for Aurora stick tension. There have been several posts.
Jim D
Old 05-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Grex

Its hard to see.. Ive tried all my allen keys, various screw drivers to no avail. What I cant understand is why they would decide to make it so difficult. Changing the modes uses phillips head screw driver, the acro/heli adjuster are phillips head but for some reason the decide to use some wierdo screw for the stick adjusters..

I suspect Ihave Japanese phillips head screws in mine.. Trying to find some place that sells a screw driver for them is going to be a task, especially here in AU.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:07 AM
JIMF14D

Maybe take a look with a magnifying glass. I am old and that works for me!
Old 05-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Grex

Ok i admit im a idiot.. You are correct they are hex screw heads...

Ithink I need to visit the optometrist ASAP.

Oh, it gets worse. In my excitement at finally being able to actually move the screws I promptly unscrewed one of them. Inow have a radio that rattles and another floppy stick.. arrrgh... I knew I should have just taken it to the LHSand get them to do it for me..

Ive unplugged the battery so hopefully nothing shorted.. Hopefully the LHS can fix it for me and the radio doesnt have to be sent away..

(One embarrassed newbie..)

Cheers
Grex

Old 05-23-2010, 09:35 AM
JIMF14D

Welcome to RC. If that is the worst that happens to you in the hobby, you will be lucky!

Have fun
Old 05-23-2010, 02:51 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Grex Ok i admit im a idiot.. You are correct they are hex screw heads...
Ithink I need to visit the optometrist ASAP. Oh, it gets worse. In my excitement at finally being able to actually move the screws I promptly unscrewed one of them. Inow have a radio that rattles and another floppy stick.. arrrgh... I knew I should have just taken it to the LHSand get them to do it for me..
Ive unplugged the battery so hopefully nothing shorted.. Hopefully the LHS can fix it for me and the radio doesnt have to be sent away.. (One embarrassed newbie..) Cheers Grex
Aurora Transmitter Mode & Stick Tension Change. has full detail and pictures. Easy DIY fix but do not fully remove side covers - refer text.
more under
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 05-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Brendan Lugo

J3 adjusts the spring loaded stick tension. Since you are mode 2 now you want to adjust J4 to screw down the ratchet bar against the back of the gimbal for pressure to keep the stick from flopping around.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Grex

Thanks everyone for the advice.. I took the transmitter to my LHS who are going to send it to the service centre to put the screw back in. I know its probably a very straightforward process but didnt want to take the risk of doing any major damage.

After CAREFULLY reading the FAQ and looking at the diagrams I think I realise where i was going wrong. Ichanged it to mode 2, using the two mode screws(M1/3 and M2/4) which disengages the spring/rachet mechanism on the throttle stick on the L/hand side, which is why I wasnt getting any tension change when turning the J3/J4).

My understanding now is that I should leave the the M2 screw set as if I am in mode 1, therefore enabling the springs, allowing me to make adjustments to the tension with the appropriate J3/J4 screws?