RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hitec-multiplex-radios-ask-hitec-customer-service-53/)
-   -   Telemetry Not Working (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hitec-multiplex-radios-ask-hitec-customer-service-53/10031843-telemetry-not-working.html)

Michel 09-27-2010 07:20 PM

Telemetry Not Working

Hi

Need a little helping hand here , if someone could .please .

I,ve connected up the telemetry , double checked all the connections . The little blue LED on the senser station is flashing very quickly . Then , went in to the sensor program and . it says SENSORS NOT CONNECTED . I even tryed rebinding the system ,.............. nothing . Checked the instructions ,.................... it says nothing about this .

Not that I know anything about this , but , the wire for the DATA , going into the receiver , has the RED wire on the outside and the black wire on the opposite side with the yellow in the middle . ( is this right ? ) If the connecter is flipped around can the sensor atation be damaged ?. I don,t see any designation point for this terminal , except where it goes in to the sensor station .

Am I doing something wrong here ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Michel

jonkoppisch 09-27-2010 07:32 PM

RE: Telemetry Not Working

I'm getting the same thing. I checked the data link wire and it's the same as yours. Black, yellow, red instead of black, red, yellow???

There's no instructions so... Nothing on the website either?

Is the telemetry module powered by another flight pack & if so, is it 4.8v or???

Michel 09-27-2010 07:34 PM

Hi

It,s nice not to be alone , thanks for youre reply . Didn,t think of that voltage thing neither

Michel

MikeMayberry 09-27-2010 07:39 PM

Did you power it with the male/male connector from an open channel to the connector on the top?

We should have the user guide up in a couple of days; just getting the artwork finalized.

e-mail me at [email protected] and I can send you the text for it which should help.

Mike.

Brendan Lugo 09-28-2010 10:28 AM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10022276/tm.htm

jonkoppisch 09-28-2010 10:33 AM

Yep, Mike asked if I updated everything. I thought that I had but there was a couple of new receivers and... Anyway, updated and now it's working. It is strange seeing the reversed wires though...

How do you interface the unit with a laptop (trying to figure out a good way to hang the hpp22 off of the aurora or???) and do you need additional software to see the data on the laptop?

Also, how are you securing the temp sensors? In the vid it looks like they're using a little hi temp rtv?

MikeMayberry 09-28-2010 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

Yep, Mike asked if I updated everything. I thought that I had but there was a couple of new receivers and... Anyway, updated and now it's working. It is strange seeing the reversed wires though...

How do you interface the unit with a laptop (trying to figure out a good way to hang the hpp22 off of the aurora or???) and do you need additional software to see the data on the laptop?

Also, how are you securing the temp sensors? In the vid it looks like they're using a little hi temp rtv?
Due to be posted in .pdf shortly with pictures to go with it.

2.4GZ Telemetry Product Installation Guide

Beginning with the Ver. 1.07 software Aurora transmitters will be fully capable of advanced 2.4G downlink data telemetry.

When using a combination of sensors and Hitecs micro “Sensor Station”, all of the following functions can be displayed on the Aurora screen during the flight, and viewed on a PC in real time!

 On-Board Battery Voltage, (this is displayed without the use of sensors when the Auroras SPC function is used).
 Up to four different temperatures
 Measure RPM with either magnetic or optical encoders.
 Monitor liquid fuel usage
 Gather GPS data to see speed, altitude and location information

This installation guide will cover the physical installation of the Sensor Stations and sensors in airplanes and helicopters including the related Aurora software screens and their features.
At the end of this manual is a description of how the HPP-22 PC interface can be used to display in real time, record and play data collected during a flight.

Contents;
1) Are you updated?
2) On-Board battery voltage
3) Sensor Station
4) Temperature
5) RPM
6) Fuel level
7) GPS
8) HPP-22 interface

Available Telemetry Products:

o Full Telemetry Pack: Includes Sensor Station, two RPM Sensors (Optical & Magnetic), four Temp. Sensors, GPS and Fuel Sensor Stock# 55830
o Basic Telemetry Pack w/Optical RPM Sensor: Includes Sensor Station, Optical-RPM Sensor & two Temp. Sensors Stock# 55831
o Basic Telemetry Pack w/Magnetic RPM Sensor: Includes Sensor Station, Magnetic RPM Sensor & two Temp. Sensors Stock# 55845
o Sensor Station: HTS-SS 2.4GHz Stock# 55832
o Optical RPM Sensor: HTS-ORPM Stock# 55833
o Magnetic RPM Sensor: HTS-MRPM Stock# 55842
o Temperature Sensor: Includes two Temp. Sensors HTS-TEMP Stock# 55834
o Fuel Level Sensor, HTS-FUEL Stock# 55835
o GPS Sensor, HTS-GPS Stock# 55836

Are You Updated?

One of the great features of the Aurora transmitter, Spectra 2.4 module and the Optima receivers is their ability to “be up-dated” with new software. The HTS-SS sensor station now joins the product line with its software up-date capability.

To take advantage of the sensor telemetry we need to be sure your equipment has the latest software.

Step 1.
Does your Aurora have Software V. 1.07 or greater? Check in the Aurora system menu – info menu screen, for your Aurora software version. If not, You will need to update the Aurora software using the HPP-22 device.

Step 2.
Does your Spectra 2.4 module have Software V. 2.0 or greater? If not, You will need to update the module software using the HPP-22 device.

Step 3.
Does your Optima receiver have Software V. 2.0 or greater? If not, You will need to update the Aurora software using the HPP-22 device.

On-Board Battery Voltage

A key advantage to electric aircraft pilots is knowing the voltage of their on-board motor battery. This is done by using the Auroras SPC function. When the SPC is connected, the motor battery voltage is shown on the Auroras home screen and in the Cockpit mode.

Please note the SPC connection directions as found in the Aurora manual.

The voltage of your on-board battery can be viewed in real time on the Aurora’s screen three ways;

1. The first is on the home screen.
2. The second is to Select the Sensor icon at the System menu and press Battery.
3. The adjustable function on this screen is the ability to set a Low Voltage Warning. Depending on the number of cells used in the on-board battery, use the +RST- icon to set a low voltage warning point. It is not good practice to allow a Lipo cell to fall below 3 volts, therefor we recommend using at least 3.3v per cell for the warning.
That’s 6.6 volts for a 2 cell, 9.9 volts for 3 cell pack etc….
4. Note the Min and Max values of the battery voltage shown on this screen.
5. The third way to view the battery voltage is on the Cockpit screen.

Sensor Station

The on-board Sensor Station (HTS-SS) - collects all the data from each sensor, sending it back to your transmitter via the Optima 7 or Optima 9 receivers.

Installation
Don’t install the Sensor Station right away. It is best to fit the sensors you will use into the aircraft first. Take the length of the sensor wire leads into consideration before permanently mounting. Then, install the Sensor Station in your model using the supplied Velcro material.

Temperature Sensor

The Temperature Sensors (HTS-TEMP) can measure temperatures from -40 to 392 degrees Fahrenheit. Up to four temp sensors can be used. These will most commonly be used in combination to read the temperatures of the following model accessories;

Electric motor
ESC
Glow and Gas engine cylinder head
Battery
Muffler
Voltage regulator
B.E.C.
Tailpipe
Ambient air

Installation
Installation will vary on the different applications. Note it is important to have the loop of the sensor wire held tightly against the device. Consider using zip ties, a piece of tape and/or small dabs of silicone to hold the wire in place.

Aurora transmitter interface
To access the temp screen menu the aircraft must be turned “on” and the temp sensors installed in the Sensor Station properly attached to the receiver.
a. Access the System menu
b. Select Sensor
c. Press TEMP
d. Press F (arrow) to select between (F) Fahrenheit and (C) Celsius readings.
e. To customize the name of the temp sensor, press Temp-1, then the Rename icon. Use the keyboard to rename the sensor to reflect its purpose. Repeat this process for the other temp sensors used.
f. To view the minimum, average and maximum temp readings for any of your installed temp sensors, note the numbers when any one of the sensors is selected on the screen.
g. Exit this screen using the door icon in the upper left of the screen.
h. To view all the sensor data in real time, press Cockpit.

RPM Sensors

There are two different RPM sensors available for use on the Hitec telemetry system.

1. Optical RPM Sensor (HTS-ORPM) - provides RPM information using a optic sensor. This is used for outdoor heli head speed RPM values.

NOTE: Indoor lighting and outdoor lighting variations can affect the readings of the optic sensor.

2. Magnetic RPM Sensor (HTS-MRPM) - provides RPM information using a magnetic sensor. This is used for aircraft with propellers, ducted fans, and heli tail rotors and main gears.

NOTE: The edit function as described at the end of this document in the HPP-22 data display. To use the Magnetic sensor with heli main gear / head speed ratios

There are two slots in the Sensor Station for RPM sensors. Any combination of optical or magnetic sensors can be used.

Optic sensor installation
A. Note the shaped case of the sensor. Install around the tail boom of your heli using the supplied zip ties. Point it straight up at the rotor disk avoiding any fly bar paddles that will skew the results.

Magnetic sensor installation
A. The magnetic sensor consists of two main parts, the sensor and magnet. Three small magnets are supplied with the unit.

B. The typical installation will have the sensor mounted on the motor mount or airframe, and one magnet attached to the spinner backing plate or prop hub in such a way as to “trigger” a signal every time the rotating magnet passes in front of the stationary sensor.

C. It is suggested a small hole be drilled in the spinner backing plate, or prop hub into which the magnet is set flush using hobby CA.

D. Note the tolerances here are very tight, the distance between the sensor and spinning magnet need to be 1mm.

a. Access the System menu and select Sensor
b. Press RPM to enter the RPM sensor menu
c. Press the RPM-1 icon and then RENAME to give the RPM-1 value a custom name. Repeat to change the RPM-2 name.
d. When using an optic sensor, you must select the number of prop or heli blades.
Select, O / Prop-2 (arrow) to scroll through the choices.

Liquid Fuel Level Sensor
Fuel Level Sensor (HTS-FUEL) - provides an accurate 5-step reading of your remaining fuel level when simply attached to the outside of the fuel tank.

Installation
1. Three different fuel sensors are included for small, medium and large tanks. Select the appropriate sensor for your tank.
2. Confirm the sensor orientation is correct with the sensors four “bars” being “stacked” from top to bottom of the tank and install the sensor into the circuit board by gently lifting the ivory colored tab on each side of the port, inserting either sensor tab, “circuit side” “up” or towards you. Which sensor tab you use is dependent on the circuit board placement, either one will work.
3. Gently press the ivory locking tabs into place securing the sensor in the circuit board.
4. Use the Velcro to attach the circuit board to the tank or other structure.
5. Use the supplied foam tape to attach the sensor to the tank.

Special use instructions;

A. Turn on transmitter and select transmit
B. Power-up the aircraft
C. Fuel aircraft

NOTE:If power to the aircraft is lost or interrupted prior to the flight, the fuel meter will not operate. De-fuel and start the fueling process over.

The single display of the fuel level sensor is shown as graphic bars on the “fuel dispenser” icon in the Cockpit display found in the System / Sensor / Cockpit menu.

GPS Sensor
GPS Sensor (HTS-GPS) – feeds variable directional information such as: altitude, position and airspeed to the Aurora transmitter. This information is displayed in real time on the Auroras Cockpit screen.

Installation
Install the GPS sensor using the supplied Velcro on any appropriate surface of the airframe.

a. As with most all sensor data, the Speed and Altitude information derived from the GPS is shown on the Auroras Cockpit screen. This is reached in the System / Sensor / Cockpit menu.
b. The specific Latitude and Longitude position data is only shown in the System / Sensor / GPS menu. Along with this information is other pertinent data, GPS strength bars, date, time, altitude and speed.
c. To change the date, Unit of measurement and to select ABSOLUTE, (above-ground-level) or RELATIVE, (above sea level) altitude values, press the Setting icon.
d. Pressing the +RST- icon will change the time values. Select the door icon to exit the menu.

Michel 09-28-2010 03:36 PM

Hi

Thanks Mike , thats the info I needed .

Michel

err0r4o4 11-01-2010 01:33 AM

I just finished installing everything. My TX and RX are freshly updated and the telemetry module is flashing. The blue led on my tx is flashing too and the TX is beeping every few seconds but i get the "no sensors connected" error. Verified the connection 10 times. The data connector on the telemetry module have his red and black wires inverted compared to the rpm connectors under is it normal?

A.T. 11-01-2010 03:54 AM

ORIGINAL: err0r4o4 I just finished installing everything. My TX and RX are freshly updated and the telemetry module is flashing. The blue led on my tx is flashing too and the TX is beeping every few seconds but i get the "no sensors connected" error. Verified the connection 10 times. The data connector on the telemetry module have his red and black wires inverted compared to the rpm connectors under is it normal?
Please refer
<font color="#22229c">Telemetry - Instruction Sheets </font>&amp; User Guide. (with enhanced pictures )

<span style="font-size: smaller">[alternate thread "</span><span style="font-size: smaller"><u><font face="Verdana">Aurora 9 HTS telemetry not working</font></u> "
</span>
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro &amp; Optima - FAQ &amp; Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links

Brendan Lugo 11-01-2010 10:25 AM

ORIGINAL: err0r4o4

I just finished installing everything. My TX and RX are freshly updated and the telemetry module is flashing. The blue led on my tx is flashing too and the TX is beeping every few seconds but i get the ''no sensors connected'' error. Verified the connection 10 times. The data connector on the telemetry module have his red and black wires inverted compared to the rpm connectors under is it normal?

Did you remember to also update the module firmware?

err0r4o4 11-01-2010 12:13 PM

doh! i did'nt know that the module behind the TX was updatable separately! Its done and there's joy ! lol

thank you guys<br type="_moz" />