RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hitec-multiplex-radios-ask-hitec-customer-service-53/)
-   -   Gyro (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hitec-multiplex-radios-ask-hitec-customer-service-53/10066011-gyro.html)

chuck l 10-13-2010 10:19 AM

Gyro

I have a quarter scale plane that is tough for me to keep straight on takeoffs and I want to put a gyro on the rudder as an aid to keep the plane straight. The intent would be to gradually wean myself from it as my rudder skills improve. Which of your gyros would you recommend in this situation? The plane has Hitec digital servos.

Chuck

ScottMcM 10-31-2010 05:13 PM

RE: Gyro

I bought one of the Hobby King 401b gyros ($13.00) for that very same problem. I don't normally have any problem with ground handling, but i've got this one bipe that refuses to roll straight down the runway. With the gyro, I simply point it in the right direction and don't touch the rudder at all, and it rolls straight every time. Just make sure to switch it off of heading hold once you are in the air. It will force you to use the rudder to coordinate your turns however. If you are accustomed to using the rudder anyway, it really isn't a big deal. I figured for thirteen bucks, I could take a chance.......

vasek 10-31-2010 07:52 PM

I would argue this Turnigy TG-380 Aeroplane Gyro - Channel Controlled - also from HK @ $17.95 is better suited for the rudder on a plane.

BEAR-AvHistory 11-13-2010 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: vasek

I would argue this Turnigy TG-380 Aeroplane Gyro - Channel Controlled - also from HK @ $17.95 is better suited for the rudder on a plane.
I have both gyros & would like to try an install on a 1/4 scale PA-12 tail dragger. Could you please explain the difference & how they are set/hooked up to the rx? (DX8 with a AR7000 RX)

As a breadboard test I hooked the 401B to the rudder channel & the single wire to the gear channel to turn the gyro on & off. Seemed to work OK. Tried the same with the TG-380 but did not really get much rudder movement out of it.

Was hoping to get to the field tomorrow morning, today is a giant scale fly-in, to do some ground testing.

ScottMcM 11-15-2010 04:26 PM

I was so pleased with the gyro on the rudder, that I decided to use one for the rudder, and one on the elevator of my H9 Frenzy.....just for kicks....well, it cost me a plane[:o] To begin with, right after takeoff, the plane began to porpoise badly. I came around and landed, and adjusted the gyro a bit, thinking it was too sensitive. Took off again...same thing...I had just turned on final approach, when the elevator suddenly went full down....there was nothing I could do....except pick up the peices. [X(] Lesson learned. The gyro worked great on just the rudder, but not so great on the elevator.

vasek 11-16-2010 04:13 AM

sorry for your loss,

mostly, if people use an extra gyro it would go on the ailerons. maybe there's a reason not putting one on the elev. (?)

ScottMcM 11-16-2010 04:25 AM

Oh yeah, there's definitely a reason...[:o]