RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hitec-multiplex-radios-ask-hitec-customer-service-53/)
-   -   Optima Rx's and cold weather problems (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hitec-multiplex-radios-ask-hitec-customer-service-53/10136408-optima-rxs-cold-weather-problems.html)

flyingtomg 11-15-2010 10:44 AM

Optima Rx's and cold weather problems

I have two planes with Optima 6 Rx's that I took flying this weekend. I should note that both of these planes have been spot-on reliable since this summer.

Both planes stayed in my car in the garage over night. My garage got to around 40 degrees that night. All batteries and the Tx (Aurora 9) stayed inside overnight.

I went out flying in the morning. It was 25 degrees out at the field. Neither plane would respond when I powered them up. In both cases, the control surfaces just moved on their own every second or so. The Tx could do nothing.

I took both planes home. When I got home, I promptly used the Tx with a different plane that I was not using that day. It also has an Optima Rx. It worked fine right away. No problems.

I waited a couple of hours to let the Rx's on the original two planes warm-up. They still wouldn't work. Then I had the idea that maybe they lost their binds. After I re-did the bind procedure on each Rx, they worked fine.

So, it seems that getting the Rx's cold makes them lose their binds. Is that possible? Should I be worried about flying this winter? This can't happen if I'm in the air.

Thanks,
flyingtomg

Brendan Lugo 11-15-2010 11:51 AM

RE: Optima Rx's and cold weather problems

Had you changed between normal and scan mode in the radio? If so then you would need to rebind previously bound receivers to the Tx again.

flyingtomg 11-15-2010 11:56 AM

No, I did not make any changes to the modes. Also, the plane I had at home worked just fine without any re-binding.

flyingtomg

JIMF14D 11-15-2010 12:52 PM

So take one of those Rx and bind it and then put it in your fridge (40 degrees) over night. Then see if works without rebinding or? If it is ok, put it in your freezer overnight and repeat the test. Report the results!

Good luck.

A.T. 11-15-2010 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: flyingtomg I have two planes with Optima 6 Rx's that I took flying this weekend. I should note that both of these planes have been spot-on reliable since this summer. Both planes stayed in my car in the garage over night. My garage got to around 40 degrees that night. All batteries and the Tx (Aurora 9) stayed inside overnight. I went out flying in the morning. It was 25 degrees out at the field. Neither plane would respond when I powered them up. In both cases, the control surfaces just moved on their own every second or so. The Tx could do nothing. I took both planes home. When I got home, I promptly used the Tx with a different plane that I was not using that day. It also has an Optima Rx. It worked fine right away. No problems. I waited a couple of hours to let the Rx's on the original two planes warm-up. They still wouldn't work. Then I had the idea that maybe they lost their binds. After I re-did the bind procedure on each Rx, they worked fine. So, it seems that getting the Rx's cold makes them lose their binds. Is that possible? Should I be worried about flying this winter? This can't happen if I'm in the air. Thanks, flyingtomg
"I took both planes home. When I got home, I promptly used the Tx with a different plane that I was not using that day. It also has an Optima Rx. It worked fine right away. No problems."

Did you have Aurora and that third RX working togetherthe previous evening or at any time after the last flights of the two models which had lost their link? perhaps link was changed then which is why the others did not work at the field.
AFHSS - ID-Setup A.K.A, binding or linking & Range Testing Spectra Pro Module <> Optima Receiver

<span style="font-size: smaller">Aurora A9, Spectra Pro &amp; Optima - FAQ &amp; Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}
</span>
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links

flyingtomg 11-15-2010 02:44 PM

Did you have Aurora and that third RX working together the previous evening or at any time after the last flights of the two models which had lost their link? perhaps link was changed then which is why the others did not work at the field.

No, that plane hasn't been flown in a month or so. The two I took to the field fly almost every weekend.

As for the switching of modes, I honestly don't even know how to do that. I read about it in the manual once and promptly forgot it as something I'd probably never need.

Thanks,
flyingtomg

Brendan Lugo 11-16-2010 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: flyingtomg

Did you have Aurora and that third RX working together the previous evening or at any time after the last flights of the two models which had lost their link? perhaps link was changed then which is why the others did not work at the field.

No, that plane hasn't been flown in a month or so. The two I took to the field fly almost every weekend.

As for the switching of modes, I honestly don't even know how to do that. I read about it in the manual once and promptly forgot it as something I'd probably never need.

Thanks,
flyingtomg
A common issue I have come across is when you go to the power down mode to range check, if you hold the link button a little too long to enter this mode, you will change from normal to scan mode. So it's fairly easy to do and not realize you have done it.

So take one of those Rx and bind it and then put it in your fridge (40 degrees) over night. Then see if works without rebinding or? If it is ok, put it in your freezer overnight and repeat the test. Report the results!
If you do this put the receiver in a plastic bag to keep moisture out of it. If the freezer is used it only needs to be in there for an hour or so to reach minimum temp.

JIMF14D 11-16-2010 11:09 AM

When I first got my sysytem Ihad the same problem of switching modes while trying to get into a range check by holding the button down a little too long.

Jim D

plasticman 11-16-2010 11:11 AM

I wrote myself a mental note on something very similar to this (and I though it might be due to cold weather). I believe my issue might have been that I added a new "Flight Mode" to two planes. I had to rebind both Rx's. So, does adding a FM force a re-bind and could that be the issue here?

P-Man.

flyingtomg 11-16-2010 11:13 AM

Brendan,
I think you may have found my problem.

I was concerned about the moisture as well, so I put the plane in my car again overnight in the garage. It's still cold here, so this is a retest of the conditions I had over the weekend. The plane works fine this morning. Cold doesn't seem to be an issue.

I looked at the LEDs on the module and the Rx's and sure enough, I'm in Scan mode. As I mentioned earlier, I don't even know how to do that, so I know I didn't do it on purpose. But, I did do a range check (or at least I thought I did) the other day. I must have done that check wrong and actually switched modes.

Argh. Thanks for the help. Sorry for wasting people's time.

flyingtomg

Brendan Lugo 11-16-2010 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: plasticman

I wrote myself a mental note on something very similar to this (and I though it might be due to cold weather). I believe my issue might have been that I added a new ''Flight Mode'' to two planes. I had to rebind both Rx's. So, does adding a FM force a re-bind and could that be the issue here?

P-Man.
Adding a flight mode does not require a re-bind.

JIMF14D 11-16-2010 02:48 PM

When you hold the button down for range check, let go as soon as the leds change to flashing and Ithink beeping starts. If you hold down longer (6sec) you are on your way to mode change. See the manual on power down and mode changes for more details.

jooNorway 11-28-2010 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: flyingtomg

Argh. Thanks for the help. Sorry for wasting people's time.

flyingtomg
Don`t say sorry. Glad this problem is mentioned and solved! This can happend to all of us, and now we have an idea of why. Thank you flyingtomg ;)