RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hitec-multiplex-radios-ask-hitec-customer-service-53/)
-   -   A9 cut off voltage (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hitec-multiplex-radios-ask-hitec-customer-service-53/9714796-a9-cut-off-voltage.html)

Born2Fly 05-06-2010 11:27 AM

A9 cut off voltage

Mike,

I just got my new A9 and i am reading all the posts you have here to find an answer for 1 question. I am not sure if it was answered already, at least I could not find it. Anyway, when using 2 cell LiPo with Aurora 9 and setting cut off voltage for example 6.5V; will the radio just simply turn off at this voltage or it will give you a warning and continue to operate till battery is completely depleted? Thank you in advance.

A.T. 05-06-2010 02:56 PM

RE: A9 cut off voltage

ORIGINAL: Born2Fly Mike, I just got my new A9 and i am reading all the posts you have here to find an answer for 1 question. I am not sure if it was answered already, at least I could not find it. Anyway, when using 2 cell LiPo with Aurora 9 and setting cut off voltage for example 6.5V; will the radio just simply turn off at this voltage or it will give you a warning and continue to operate till battery is completely depleted? Thank you in advance.
As per "Power Menu"Manual page 62 when selecting LiPo user may also select own "OFF Voltage"., this providing Auto Power Off is left as never as per
"<font color="#22229c">Aurora A9 - Warning Alarms</font> Battery types, voltage levels and consumption - with Power/Battery Management Screen Shots. <font color="#ff0000">CAUTION - Leave Auto Power Off as "Never" when using Lipo Battery. "Auto Power Off" is Hibernation Mode only (as with laptops). TX Does Not Switch Completely OFF</font> and batteries will be completely drained if TX switch is not manually moved to the off position in good time. Will read as 'Auto Hibernation mode' with next update. As with all similar items, Hitec RCD recommend battery be removed and stored separately if TX is to be stored or unused for a period." seethe attachements also.

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro &amp; Optima - FAQ &amp; Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips.<span style="font-size: smaller"> {individual links often updated}
</span>
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links

Born2Fly 05-06-2010 04:29 PM

A.T. thank you for the answer, but to make it clear; "Cut off voltage" option will not power off the TX, it will only gives you a warning that you are at the set limit by flashing red and 3 beeps. Correct?

A.T. 05-06-2010 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Born2Fly A.T. thank you for the answer, but to make it clear; "Cut off voltage" option will not power off the TX, it will only gives you a warning that you are at the set limit by flashing red and 3 beeps. Correct?
Personally would not use a Lipo in any TX,so have performed no cut off test to confirm TX reaction and quote:
Power Safety Cut Off
"When using Lipos you can set the cut off voltage in the power menu from 6 -6.6v but be aware this is the safety cut off and your radio will turn off at that voltage to prevent the Lipo from being discharging too low. Also... NEVER try to charge it in the radio. - Mike. "

Manual was written at time of V1.03 and later versions show some changes from manual, but nothing seen relating to TXCut Off voltage change, nor anything in todays update from factory.
Aurora A9 - Firmware Update V1.07 Planned Details known to date, full version expected within a month.

regards
Alan T.

Born2Fly 05-07-2010 09:01 AM

Thanks again, I am going to use LI-Ion not LIpo, I agree with you on this Lipo batts are unpredictable. But I am using Li-Ion for the last 3 years in my Futaba 9CAPs without any problems. It gives me enough time for the entire day of flying, adjusting etc when you need your radio on for extended period of time. Thanks again.