RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hitec-multiplex-radios-ask-hitec-customer-service-53/)
-   -   BODA antenna (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/hitec-multiplex-radios-ask-hitec-customer-service-53/9879997-boda-antenna.html)

plaurence 07-21-2010 09:00 PM

BODA antenna

I've been out of the hobby for 15 years and recently returned. A friend gave me his Futaba 72MH Tx and rx to get back up in the air.
I'm trying to decide which 2.4 G system to purchase. Hitec has one antenna on the rx, Futaba has two and Spektrum has two rx! What's up with that?

It seems that there are issues with Spekrtum rx'ers. I saw a vid where the LED would start flashing(fail) when the gas (weedwacker) motor on the airplane was cranked up and running.
BTW, the rx and battery was out of the plane and placed 3 feet away!

So.... why are the other companies taking the multiple antenna and receiver route to deal with multiple signal paths and Hitec is not. How can Hitec use one antenna and get a good lock with signals that can ghost?
<br type="_moz" />

JIMF14D 07-22-2010 05:34 AM

RE: BODA antenna

I don't know how Hitec does it but Ihave an Aurora 9 system and six Rxs in models Ihave flown for almost 5 months now. Never any sign of a glitch. Range check on ground is over 200 paces!

I have my Spektrum DX6i system and two other Spektrum Rx on Ebay now as Iam convinced the A9 is the way to go. Also, A9 Rx downlinks your Rx system battery voltage and shows nominal and high low values on the Tx display in flight and after flight. No extra junk in your plane for that. And the Hitec A9 Rx are lower cost:$42 for 6 channel.

Why do Ineed a radio that has many antennas and/or extra Rx plugged into the main Rx. Just extra cost and more things to fail to make up for a weak design Ithink.

Jim D

Brendan Lugo 07-22-2010 09:35 AM

The short answer is because of the different technology used with our 2.4 AFHSS system and the boda antenna. We dont need multiple antennas or multiple satelite receivers to get a good signal and to have the radio locked in. These are just bandaids for poorly designed systems. Now you may ask then why does our 9 channel receiver have two antennas? Because at the time we entered the market with our 2.4 system all receivers had multiple antennas and customers believed that 2.4 systems had to have them. So the second antenna was added more for piece of mind. [8D]

plaurence 07-22-2010 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Brendan Lugo

The short answer is because of the different technology used with our 2.4 AFHSS system and the boda antenna. We dont need multiple antennas or multiple satelite receivers to get a good signal and to have the radio locked in. These are just bandaids for poorly designed systems. Now you may ask then why does our 9 channel receiver have two antennas? Because at the time we entered the market with our 2.4 system all receivers had multiple antennas and customers believed that 2.4 systems had to have them. So the second antenna was added more for piece of mind. [8D]
Thanks for the responce. I going to purchase the Aurora 9

Peter
<br type="_moz" />

sgillmore 07-22-2010 11:22 AM

I think you're making a great choice. I been a loyal JR/Spektrum user since my first trainer over 6 years ago. I recently purchased an Aurora 9 and have been using it for a couple months now. I plan to continue to use my X9303 and the Aurora side-by-side for a year...about half my planes on each. The Aurora offers so many great features, it's hard to pick out my favorites.

I also find the programming to be very easy and intuitive. For example, I keep a H9 UltraStick 60 around for a Sunday basher. I've had the plane for a while, through several JR/Spektrum radios. It started on an 8103 PCM and I later moved it to a DX7, then to my X9303. Every time, I had to follow a 2-page, step-by-step guide or I was completely lost. I'm not ashamed to say that I would have never figured out how to set-up the crow function (ailerons up/flaps down) on my own. Just for fun, I mocked-up my US60 setup on the workbench with an Optima 7 and some extra servos. It took me about 15 minutes to set it up on the Aurora without a guide. :D

There are only two things binding (pun intended) me to my X9303, a HUGE investment in DSM/2 receivers (including several 9100s and a 7100R) and small indoor Bind-n-Fly stuff from Horizon. It's amazing how much fun you have with those stupid little Vapors! [8D]

Cpt Crash 07-29-2010 11:27 PM

We did a range test recently with a Hitec Optic 6 with the Spectra module and an Optima 7 in the plane. My buddy walked out until there were two large metal hangars between him and the plane, with six full scale aircraft parked in the hangars. He was over 300 paces away with lots of metal in between the BODA and the transmitter. Not a jitter was noted. Nice job.