Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

New Inquiry.. last one I promise :). Your input would be helpful

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New Inquiry.. last one I promise :). Your input would be helpful

Old 10-04-2010, 04:03 PM
ArancioC5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Inquiry.. last one I promise :). Your input would be helpful

OK.. as you guys know I have an itch to design a conversion kit / new truck platform. I have a history in 1:1 design, not engineering, however I do not intend to design any new driveline parts. I do understand chassis design, and that is really what I am focusing on.

With that said, I began my ideas by taking a Savage and trying to make it better. Well, scratch that idea. It simply is not worth it, by the end of it all not much Savage would be left, and the useable Savage parts are simply too heavy to retain. So I am not seeking any commitments at this time, just feedback and I will be doing the same with many other forums.

So here is what I am looking to know to decipher if my efforts will be worth it or not:

1. I am thinking about designing an extended chassis that would mount a popular/ durable/ track tested 3 differential driveline designed for brushless electric and nitro applications. Brushless technology being first and foremost, parts support would be very easy as the driveline and secondary chassis parts would be borrowed from an existing manufacturer.

2. the concept is to take a race proven platform, extend it and add extra light-weight structural integrity. If MT racing was still a popular class, this would certainly be the right platform. The idea here is "if you could only afford one RC car/truck, what traits would it have?", and I want to combine speed, durability, offroad, and handling.

3. Are you interested in a "new" platform? Savage money ish, truggy quality +. This would be for those of you who have no intentions of racing, but would like a race machine converted into a "basher" that comes with all hop ups needed. Example, many of you spend hundreds on your Savage to essentially gain little ground. This roller would come with CNC machined towers, knuckles, CVDs, hellical cut diffs, 16 mm aluminum big bore shocks, 7075 aluminum chassis, adjustable wheelbase, rollcenter etc etc... everything you would expect from a top notch race machine. Would it be Savage "tough?" Yes, however it will be designed to break cheap parts as a give point, VS expensive parts and the driveline will be more robust then any savage where it counts.

4. Truggies are great, but they are relatively short wheelbased to handle tight tracks. I am extending this to handle rough surfaces VS "blue groove" that they are designed for. A hybrid design so to speak. I guess this is the territory the Revo tried to conquer, however that is not a conventional setup, nor is it not as good as a standard truggy setup. The chassis length minus front/ rear bullbars/ bumpers will be in the 20.5" range, so about 0.7-1" shorter than an XL with bumpers. The weight with gear will vary pending on nitro VS electric. Figure Nitro weight to be around 8 lbs, electric up to 10 lbs high est.

5. So is there a market for those seeking a truck that is a brushless design from the start that went from truggy>MT versus MT>good performer? Give me your feedback, what else do you have to do lol? This forum goes SLOW, so burn away your time reading this and giving me your thoughts.

Yes I know, easier to think about with a design in place. Well, this does not require much from the imagination. Take any high end truggy, extend it, and give it CNC battery tray/ motor mount. Add your own wheels, motor/ esc/engine/pipe, radio gear, and body. The peices I design will only be beneficial to structural strength (via braces) and really do not need to be revealed at this time. Would you replace/ add to your RC stable a truck with the qualities listed for a sub $500.00 price point (much less if you already have the donor truggy to be named later)??? That is sub $500.00 street price with all of the hop ups included. Made in USA baby (my parts LOL).

Give me your thoughts, and let me know if I typed this too fast and wasnt clear enough in my explaination. Thanks.

Edit: Oh yeah silly me, this would kill the 2 battery setup in favor of one 4S or 6S lipo. Much smarter.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:00 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: New Inquiry.. last one I promise :). Your input would be helpful

Arancio...you realize most truggies are long as hell right?

the modern crop of truggies are longer than Freezetron's dreams.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:04 PM
supertib

Sorry to say this...but you need to educate yourself on a Truggy a little bit...... They are quite different then you are speculating they are.....
Old 10-04-2010, 05:18 PM
ArancioC5

yeah, I am giving estimate numbers for my own reasons , but yes I realize they are long, but if you see an MBX6T take deep ruts you will see it's light weight makes it unsettled. I plan to extend that, place a few parts differently, and slight added weight should make a revised chassis handle "real world" offroading better just by moving a weight around slightly, also the extension will help with battery location for brushless. I'll PM you later, I have a guy I"m working with who makes really nice CNC parts and I already have the battery box and motor mount taken care of (no, not monster mikes stuff to those who may be nosy ).

I may just make custom parts for race truggies instead if this idea falls through, actually I can guarantee that I will but I'd like to do this as a personal thing just to say I did it. I think "monster trucks" are a dying breed because what is the real advantage of them if they arent realistic? I guess people can buy a truggy, but I am trying to beef up a truggy and design it more for the basher/ everyday guy.

Bad idea? TBJ is like the Bo Jackson of RC

Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 PM
ArancioC5

ORIGINAL: supertib

Sorry to say this...but you need to educate yourself on a Truggy a little bit...... They are quite different then you are speculating they are.....

In what way? If I'm wrong then I am wrong, but I have spent a little time looking into this. Some of my estimates are not dead on for a few reasons. If it.s my numbers, then yes I know, if it is something else..???? I am beingt a little vague on purpose, I just feedback on the idea.

edit: I know a stock truggy is around 22" l X 17" w. To be less vague, I am considering an inch or so extension, beefier chassis + bracing, revised placement of running gear. Nothing major, nothing mind blowing just something priced well, better than the current crop of MTs. But hey, tell me where I am wrong..