Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

newbie has questions on first nitro truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 05:43 PM
osidebro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie has questions on first nitro truck

a couple of months ago I purchased my first truck a traxxas electric stampede. I am thinking of getting a tower terror or hpi 1/12 monster king nitro. I realize that the engine breakin is important but how time consuming and difficult is the on going maintance? Is one easier than the other? The proper tools and supplies and time are not a problem I just don't want to get in over my head. Price point is also a consideration. I realize that I am at a hpi forum but any any info would be appreciated
Old 11-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: newbie has questions on first nitro truck

The Tower Terror is an intersting truck. Chassis desing similiar to the HPI Savage. I would have bought one in a heartbeat, but didn't want to have to go back to Tower every time I needed parts.
It's probably best to stick with something your local hobby shop carries parts, like HPI, Traxxas, etc.

Nitro engines arn't a huge maintenance issue,, but the learning curve is. Tuning takes a while to feel comfortable doing it. New engines can be finickity until they are at least partially broken in. It can be a challenge, but in my opinion, a very rewarding one.

If you're keen on nitro, and you have problems, that's what these forums are for....ask, ask, ask. Having a friend that knows can speed up the learning curve a lot. So can reading the Instructions a few times and Googling RC Nitro Engine Tuning as well.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:19 PM
osidebro

ARGRESS,

Good idea about the LHS. I hadn't thought about. Also I like the fact that I can go this forum and ask,ask,ask!
Thanks for the input!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:10 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

An unfortunate part of what you want is a lot of shops don't carry parts for the Wheely King and its platform mates. Can't speak for your local shops, but neither of these trucks are going to be good for local parts support.

Too bad HPI doesn't sell the Bullet in the US[:@]
Old 11-18-2010, 11:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Too bad HPI doesn't sell the Bullet in the US[:@]
X2
I was hyped when I heard about it (Specially the electric one) than was bummed when they said no future plans of release in the US(rest of the world has it though...). Europe is lucky they get like every new release right away, vs we only got 2.4ghz radios in the same old RC's (ok there was also that mini trophy truck truck that I've not heard a hell of alot of people buying)...
Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 AM
wolfie1

out ot all my cars the easiest and most reliable i own has to be without any shadow of a doubt is the hpi trophy truggy i would say it is a brilliant platform to learn on
Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Argess

Well.....I have to say a first time nitro vehicle would be a 4wd buggy. Relatively cheap, uncomplicated, easy to work on, and you can race or bash. OFNA offers some good stuff at reasonable prices. The Ravager and Ultra come to mind.

I feel the Savage is a great nitro basher, but I wouldn't call it easy to work on. I guess the newer ones are easier than my Savage 25 though.

I wonder why HPI doesn't do buggies? Maybe because too many other companies do it?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:52 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Argess
I wonder why HPI doesn't do buggies? Maybe because too many other companies do it?
They do actually. Just not in the US...
They also have truggies, and a few other things, again not in the US...
The American continent is not well liked by HPI.

Vehicles not in the US(and won't be) but in europe.
http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.ph...o=101401〈=en Nitro Bullet 3.0 MT (also the ST version listed as a different model)
http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.ph...o=101323〈=en Pulse 4.6 Buggy
http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.ph...No=10508〈=en Trophy 3.5 Buggy (yes the 2 are different)
http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.ph...o=101153〈=en Trophy 4.6 Truggy
http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.php?partNo=882〈=en Savage 3.5 (seems its design is based off the .21, and not the X)
http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.ph...o=101403〈=en Bullet MT Flux (also a ST version listed separate)
http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.ph...o=101580〈=en HPI Switch (front wheel drive electric)
From what I remember there also going to get a mini savage that is based of the HB Minizilla
Those are current there was 1 or 2 that were discontinued already (Savage 5T was one, ok that one kinda sucked)
Japan has even more goodies I just don't feel like navigating that nightmare of a site to find em.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Only advice I can give on a first nitro is take the time and READ about basic nitro facts.  Dont just browse the manual and start turning needles.  If you don't educate yourself on how a nitro engine works at least the basics, it will bring a lot of frustration.  Forums are great for answering questions, but when your in the learning process nothing can be more irritating than posting a question...waiting for a response....trying it out....failing to fix your problem.....posting again....waiting for a response.....trying it out....etc....you will get burned out on nitro very quickly if try and fly into it "blind".  If you dont have the patience to troubleshoot a problem, and if you dont enjoy taking the time to go through extensive trial and error to learn then you may be in for a frustrating ride.

Everyones different and have their own idea of what is "too much" maintenence for an rc car.  I think its minimal, but you read over and over from folks that are "fed up" with the "constant tuning, repairing, messes, more tuning, more repairing", etc....that it shows the polorizing differences between what one calls leisure and another calls "work".

Seeing what the LHS stocks for parts is a good idea, but dont let it make the decision for you.....all parts can be had online if you can wait for them, and most likely at a cheaper cost than your LHS.....but...LHS's are fantastically convenient when you need something small thats gonna ruin your weekend of driving if you dont get it.....and theyre fun to browse for things you dont need, but wanna blow money on anyway
Old 11-19-2010, 12:56 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Argess

I feel the Savage is a great nitro basher, but I wouldn't call it easy to work on. I guess the newer ones are easier than my Savage 25 though.
The X generation of Savages is MUCH easier to work on than the old 21/25/SS. That's the entire reason ThunderbirdJunkie never picked up a Savage until the first X came out [&:]

It's so easy it should be illegal[8D]
Old 11-19-2010, 04:18 PM
osidebro

Thanks everyone for your input! it helped a lot. Now what is a good web site to begin to learn about nitro engines?
Old 11-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Argess

Well....I've just spent way to much time looking for a certain website that really explained it all very well. No luck though. Maybe it's no longer there.

But if you Google RC Nitro Engine Tuning you'll find quite a bit. Same with doing a YouTube search.

However, since you are beginning, and if you have a a few bucks, I strongly recommend you get this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Nitro...0216066&sr=1-2

It's a handy reference and covers more than jsut the engines....clutches and tuned exhaust too.

If I can find that site, I'll post a link.