Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

so confused

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 03:18 PM
JCOYNE
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so confused

Was all set to get the Savage X 4.6 until I went to my local hobbie store and they suggested that the Revo 3.3 was more dependable and better for a newbi. What do youy think?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:27 PM
SMOKEFAN

Default RE: so confused

I think your hobby store is padding their pockets knowing youll be back for alot of parts if you buy the traxxas.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:59 PM
meminiau

I have a Savage XL and a Revo 3.3. Bought the Savage around August and the Revo about October. The savage was my first ever Nitro.

After buying the Revo, I had wished that I had bought it before the Savage. A much easier truck to tune in my experience.

I bash then both pretty hard.... haven't broken anything yet on the Revo... had those rods pop out that hold them straight(technically I suppose the part is broken coz the thread is probably damaged, but I just screwed them back in and I haven't worried about them too much) which happens when I cartwheel a dozen or so times. The Savage I had the steering servo stuff up coz it wasn't water proof.

The starting system on the Revo is great, especially for a beginner. I use the Savage for play and my 10 year old son uses the Revo. He like me was new to all this and it was just so simple for him.

If you really really want a Savage, get it. It really is a tough truck(I probably do bash the Savage harder coz it has a great reputation for toughness), but if you are on the fence, I'd go the Revo.

hope this helps :-)
Old 01-23-2011, 04:13 PM
JCOYNE
My Feedback: (1)

I think he was just giving his opinion cause he sold both he said the savage was less reliable. He wasn't even trying to sell me the 3.3 he was also talking about the lower model. Also said that a lot of people are switching to electric.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:18 PM
SMOKEFAN

The revo is tough to, not as tough as the Savage and my starting system frankly sucked on my revo. OWB issues the 1st day and I had radio issues. Traxxas had to send me a New RX. Took 6 days to get. After the bugs were worked out it was a good truck. Luckily I wasn't a newbie or I would have been pissed and had no clue what to do. Also my connecting rod broke after about 2 gallons so I had to send that back to Traxxas which cost me 100.00 for a replacement.

I do have a 4.6, an MGT, and a losi LST all are great truck and have been much more reliable and tough then what my revo was. If I was going to race MT I would have a revo, but not as a basher. There is a considerable cost difference between the savage you were getting and the revo I believe also. Around 100.00?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 PM
sharkattack99

I would go with the savage 4.6 that is a easy to tune truck and easy to work on as well.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:11 AM
cswtornado

You posted this in the SAVAGE forum.... What do you THINK you'll get as a response? Get a Savage, you won't regret it. Nitro OR electric.

The Savage X 4.6 is far superior to the Revo. Not out of box though.

Savage = $410
Revo = $530

Here's what is better and worse about the two -

Savage- Bigger engine
Tougher design
More upgrades (better upgrades)
Better shocks

Revo- Better handling
Faster because lighter
More like a truggy

however with the $120 price differential you can buy a good steering servo ($40), sell the stock F4.6 (I wish I did sort of) for $140 on ebay, use that money to get a 200 dollar Picco .28 P3, and use the $20 left over to get a FlySky GT-2 2.4 ghz transmitter off HobbyKing and you've got a fairly good handling immensely overpowered 2.4 ghz truck for the same price. AND you can get a three speed, new shocks, yadayadayada. Way better

Old 01-24-2011, 06:28 AM
steed2-inactive

It doesnt matter which one you get, it will cost you money, and you will become a fanboy of the one you choose, watch some video's, go through the manufacturer's website's, read everthing you can and make the decision yourself, i own them both and they are both great trucks, my only thing i have against the revo is the engine, a monster truck should have torque, and the revo doesnt, it screams, and its pretty quick, but the 3.3 has no bottom end.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 AM
cswtornado

^^ Yeah they're both good but the Savage is more for less. New servo costs less than new engine.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:38 PM
meminiau

ORIGINAL: steed2

It doesnt matter which one you get, it will cost you money, and you will become a fanboy of the one you choose, watch some video's, go through the manufacturer's website's, read everthing you can and make the decision yourself, i own them both and they are both great trucks, my only thing i have against the revo is the engine, a monster truck should have torque, and the revo doesnt, it screams, and its pretty quick, but the 3.3 has no bottom end.
I think this is spot on.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 PM
moezer

my first nitro was a duratrax RAZE buggy, **** was that thing fun, i traded it for a brushless 4x4 slash 1/16.

I am still learning about nitro and such, the savage X was suggested to me, and i went and grabed one, yes i watched alot of vids on how this truck is, and thats what made me want it even more, not only does the savage come from a long family of MT in the savage family but the savage X was the top of the line, aside from the XL and i did dump alot of money in to itto make it even stronger then it really is, and i live in canada and the weather here is ****ty, so i replaced all the orginal plastic parts that where on the truck and now i couldnt be more happyer.

im not saying this cuz i own a savage X or might be a fan of HPI MT, but i think traxxas is too big of a company and its overly hyped, yes they make good RCS but there prices are a bit high also any ways what ever u choose to get make sure u have fun with it
Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 AM
SLAYERDUDE

Savage > Revo

Try this with a Revo and drive away.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM
SMOKEFAN

EXACTLY!!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:29 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

Savage > Revo

IMPRESSIVE JUMPS> I do the same and stand behind the toughness of the Savage....BUT the Revo is a GREAT truck too. In reality you CAN NOT go wrong buying either one! I say watch some vids, if you want to race it buy the Revo, if you want to BASH it, buy the SAVAGE. Boht were easy to tune, jsut watch some vids and take your time and you'll be fine, it's not rocket science..... you will love either truck!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:55 PM
cswtornado

Savage > Revo.

Cheaper, bigger, better engine, more durable....... handles like crap....... but whatever.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 PM
steed2-inactive

you'd be surprised the abuse a revo will take!...its no tmaxx thats for sure!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:52 PM
SMOKEFAN

The revo will take abuse but not like the savage. My revo killed the Tmaxx 2.5 in every catagory. Best trucks IMO for the money MGT 4.60se 349.00. Then the savage x, Until you have had an LST2 you have not lived. it's a sweet ride and I consistanly beat moddedrevos at ET with it and my MGT.

In the last 7 years I have had
2 MGT's
1 lst-aftershock
1lst2
1 Savage x4.6
1Tmaxx 2.5
and a revo 3.3.

Now properly setup the revo is a racer, but the guys I race with dont have a clue. It is a well engineered truck. Tough yes....Basher Tough No. The 3.3 engine is a flat piece of garbage no torque not a lasting engine unless you swap rods and bearings with something from RB mods.

As a beginner you will succeed with the revo, but you will find something lacking shortly after getting into this hobby with it.

The HPI is very tough, fast, reliable, parts support and has endless mods possibilities.

So my Picks are the MGT 4.60se, The savage X 4.6, and if your spensing the money on a Revo then I opt for the Losi LST2 or XXL. The Rvo and HPI probably currently hae the best parts support at your LHS, But I wouldn't discount the MGT for the money
Old 01-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Snook Man

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

Savage > Revo

OK...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDC6EBnTW8E

Both trucks have their up and down sides. You will be happy with which ever one you choose.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:08 PM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: SMOKEFAN

The revo will take abuse but not like the savage. My revo killed the Tmaxx 2.5 in every catagory. Best trucks IMO for the money MGT 4.60se 349.00. Then the savage x, Until you have had an LST2 you have not lived. it's a sweet ride and I consistanly beat modded revos at ET with it and my MGT.

In the last 7 years I have had
2 MGT's
1 lst-aftershock
1lst2
1 Savage x 4.6
1Tmaxx 2.5
and a revo 3.3.

Now properly setup the revo is a racer, but the guys I race with dont have a clue. It is a well engineered truck. Tough yes....Basher Tough No. The 3.3 engine is a flat piece of garbage no torque not a lasting engine unless you swap rods and bearings with something from RB mods.

As a beginner you will succeed with the revo, but you will find something lacking shortly after getting into this hobby with it.

The HPI is very tough, fast, reliable, parts support and has endless mods possibilities.

So my Picks are the MGT 4.60se, The savage X 4.6, and if your spensing the money on a Revo then I opt for the Losi LST2 or XXL. The Rvo and HPI probably currently hae the best parts support at your LHS, But I wouldn't discount the MGT for the money
i dont know what the lst-2 is like but my buddy's aftershock does not compare to a savage in any way. i think they made the a arms with popsicle sticks
Old 01-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Mclovin350z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sEop...yer_detailpage

Snook said it right, and my vote is REVO.
Savages are good, but they are the meathead of rc monster trucks IMO.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 PM
SLAYERDUDE

The Revo isn't a Monster Truck IMHO.

I guess Traxxas just felt the need to have the Tmaxx (1/10 Monster Truck) AND the Revo (1/10 Monster Truck).
Or is the Revo supposed to be 1/8?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:09 PM
SMOKEFAN

You are correct slayer, the aftershock does not compare to the savage. The aftershock is a great truck but IS only an LST 1 not the LST2 or XXL. Have your buddy do the LST2 upgrade on his aftershock and he will be very happy.

The Revo is considered 1/8 scale but by anymean is it a monster truck. IMO it's more like a truggy and drives more like a truggy
Old 01-25-2011, 07:12 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traxxas is over priced new, so i would opt for a savage. both are good trucks 3.3 motors are kinda ho-hum in every aspect.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 PM
steed2-inactive

also, keep in mind the revo is very 1/10ish. plastic driveshafts, plastic axles,small differentials with plastic differential cases, smaller transmission with all plastic gears, allthough this is all fine when paired with the lighter 1/10 vehicle and lower torque, softer hitting 3.3. But this all comes back to stuff you can find if you do some research on the manufacturers websites. good luck-scott
Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: SMOKEFAN

You are correct slayer, the aftershock does not compare to the savage. The aftershock is a great truck but IS only an LST 1 not the LST2 or XXL. Have your buddy do the LST2 upgrade on his aftershock and he will be very happy.

The Revo is considered 1/8 scale but by anymean is it a monster truck. IMO it's more like a truggy and drives more like a truggy
swore the revos technically classified as a 1/10th, but closer to what a 1/9th would be in size.
The revo's a nice looking truck but honestly for a 1/10th its way too expensive IMO. I honestly don't see why it costs $200 more than an HPI MT2 which is what its not far off of scale and purpose wise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.