Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Savage X 4.6 RTR Slipper Clutch Proper Setup?

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage X 4.6 RTR Slipper Clutch Proper Setup?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:53 PM
RazurBlackz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage X 4.6 RTR Slipper Clutch Proper Setup?

I still running plastic spur and standard clutch bell on my Savage X4.6 RTR. I haven't had any issues to force me to upgrade to steel yet. I was wondering how tight is everyone running their slipper clutch nut/spring. The guys at local hobby shop says it's fine to tightened all the way down for bashing. The manual says all the way down and back quarter to half turn loose. What have you guys learned from your experience? I'm still learning myself. My Savage has the F4.6 and BP Diffs. front and rear, stock rims and tires.
RB
Old 02-13-2011, 05:36 PM
rc awesome

Default RE: Savage X 4.6 RTR Slipper Clutch Proper Setup?

Just keep it stock
Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

I have mine all the way tight. Other wise it starts to back its self off or it will chew up the slipper pad. HPI's savage slipper pad seutp isnt the best. The down side to cranking it clear down is the spur gear starts to develop a wabble. That is why I run a metal one.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:06 PM
RazurBlackz

JBOOKER82, When you run the metal onedo you tightened all the way down?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:35 PM
jbooker82

yea. I run it so the gear doesnt warp due to the pressure. Dont go super tight so the spring is all deformed. Just snug.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:34 PM
RazurBlackz

Tight on metal gear too?By snug you mean no slip at at all, gear too?Then why have the slipper clutch??

Old 02-14-2011, 12:32 AM
jbooker82

Yea tight on the metal gear too. If there was a slipper gear eliminator kit I would probably be running it. It seem like if I try to use the slipper I spend more time taking the spur gear off and putting a new slipper pad on and resetting the mesh, than if I just crank it down tight and replace a broken drive line part every once in a while.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:41 AM
RazurBlackz

JBOOKER82, Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Thanks for all your advice with this and my BP diffs tweaking. Do you use grease or silicon diff oil in your diffs?
Old 02-14-2011, 02:24 AM
jbooker82

Just good ol wheel bearing or multipurpose grease. If you want the diffs on the stiff side get a tube of Lucas Red n Tacky. It is a little thicker than most greases. I just bash and there is no need for me to "tweek the diff fluid with different weights. I dont like tearing it to them if I dont have to. I really am not going to tear them appart just to change oil. You grease the diff once it is good until you break something or submerge it under water for a length of time. I don't want to have to deal with the silicone diff fluid leaking out and needed to be replaced.

It would be a different story if it was an on track truggy or buggy.