Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

lrp 30?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:38 AM
steed2-inactive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lrp 30?

well i finally took the plunge and ordered an lrp 30 and a dynamite 086, i think i am ready to throw that axial 32 rr-1 (still like new) in the garbage!
anyways i get the engine on thrusday, and was wondering if there is any special break in procedures you lrp guys do? the site has downloadable manuals but the break in procedure they give isnt very specific. this is what it says

Procedure:
• Start the engine and set the main-needle very rich, i.e. excessive smoke coming from the
muffler.
• Let the engine idle for 2mins first to warm it up.
• Now start driving your car till the fuel tank is empty. It will be slow and sluggish, but this is
an important step.
• Do not allow the engine to rev-up too high and only apply half throttle during this run-in period.
• The engine should not be too cold, but also not too hot during run-in. 70-90°C (160-195°F) is
perfect.
• Let the engine cool down for 15mins after each tank during the run-in period.
• We recommend running with this rich setting for 5 complete tanks of fuel before you start
tuning your engine.
LRP electronic GmbH
Wilhelm-Enssle-Str. 132-134
73630 Remshalden
Germany
[email protected]
www.LRP.cc

Also are these engines very powerful? are they good at holding a tune?
thanks again guys-scott
Old 02-28-2011, 11:51 AM
moezer

Default RE: lrp 30?

send me your axial engine if u dont want it lol, as for the break in it says it very clear to me, also just becuase its a bigger engine doesnt mean its going to be faster, and u already bought the engine dont u think its too late to ask how good it is or so? did u do ur research
Old 02-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

I run that same combo.  I used a cross between heat cycle and "Squirrels" break in method....got the engine tuned to run at 200-220F..ran a tank at quarter throttle, then a few at half throttle, few at 3/4 throttle, then opened it up and tuned it down more..  I saw performance gains all the way up to 1 gallon fuel, so it does take some time to truly break in.

IMO it makes great power, but I dont have much in terms of personal experience to compare it to...only other engines iv run are the stocker k4.6, modded k4.6, traxxas 3.3, and a losi 454.

It has a pretty broad tuning window, but setting the idle was a bit tricky for me....could have been due to inexperience though.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 PM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: moezer

send me your axial engine if u dont want it lol, as for the break in it says it very clear to me, also just becuase its a bigger engine doesnt mean its going to be faster, and u already bought the engine dont u think its too late to ask how good it is or so? did u do ur research
yes what they tell you to do in that break in is very straight forward and obviously understandable, what i meant was, does anybody with experience with the engines have any tips or tricks while performing the break in process. I am sure its just like any other bb nitro engine but i figured it doesnt hurt to ask. yes i did my research, and what the general concensus on here seems to be the lrp and picco are members favourites for big power engines. just kinda wonder how much better they are over the f 4.6. i am not even going to compare it to the k series/ axial engines that my lhs told me were the most powerfull engines for the savage-[:@]
Old 02-28-2011, 01:19 PM
llkoolskillet

I love my LRP 30! I too am running an 086 pipe combo. As for break in i break all my motors in the same way. First tank it sits and idles, second i drive in circles at 1/4 throttle, third i do the same but give it a tiny more gas, fourth tank i open it up more but not full throttle. by the 5th tank im running full throttle. Yes i let the motor cool back down between tanks. After the 5th tank i start tuning.

LRP's performance... well its amazing! Ive raced the motor againt the axial 32RR (suppossedly hopped up fron axial, the guy claimed) in another savage and the LRP eats it alive, more bottom end and a stronger top end. Its my favorite motor when it comes to reliablity and tuneability. I have an F4.6, 2 axial 28 1s's, LRP 30, Collari 32, Picco 28 ABmodded. The LRP is the second fastest in my lineup but it still out performs everything else but the picco. Your money was well spent my friend. Ive put at least 8 gallons thru mine. Only recomendation i can make is put integy alluminum shoes on her with a vented CB. Have fun!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:34 PM
sparky 25

The break in procedure i went by was similar to what the lrp site says,

just get the engine up to a good operating temp @ around 220 degree f

then just run the truck around in a large oval giving it 1/4 throttle on the straights and letting it coast while turning the corner,

i repeated this for about 3 tanks and then went up to 1/2 throttle on the straight for the next two tanks,

now got around 4 gallon run time on my motor and the pinch is still great,

after you turn the engine off to cool always set the piston at the bottom of the liner,

here is my lrp30 running the stock hpi polished pipe,

after the vid i bought the dynamite 053 pipe, it made a big difference to how the lrp ran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuNrZhxqg5c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cooPKHubQc4
Old 02-28-2011, 03:27 PM
steed2-inactive

thanks guys, really appreciate the insight, thats what i was looking for, ok umm next question, how do you run the 086 pipe? will the header hit the rear shock?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:58 PM
llkoolskillet

If your running in an X then Yes it will have clearence issues, however if you use the header for the F4.6 and zip tie the 086 pipe to it like its stock it will work. Thats what i did, just need some zip ties, you should already have the rubber spacer already. If your running in the XL you obviously wont have any issues with clearence. Also if your going to run a roto plate you will have to file the botton of the header flange flat in order for it to fit properly. I want to say the same for the pull start plate

Old 02-28-2011, 05:06 PM
cswtornado

With a stock length X it will, you will need Flux big bores/aluminum BBS or an extension. With a dynamite 086 you need to do some grinding to get the header to fit on the right side.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 PM
sparky 25

I run a proper spring mounted header pipe,

joining a 2 piece pipe with a rubber coupler is not agreat idea,

this type header eliminates any pipe blow offs with the 053/086 pipes.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RD-Logics-Hpi-...item5883fbdff1
Old 03-01-2011, 12:36 PM
BudBud

My first 30 was exceptionally tight and took a long time to break in. I am a Picco guy, but I really enjoy the 30. I tried the 086 and swapped it for the 053. You can run the double bend buggy style header. It will rub the shock springs at full suspension extension, I never could tell that the shock failed any faster because of the rub. Take your time, run it like you stole it, have fun. Glen
Old 03-01-2011, 01:15 PM
steed2-inactive

you always have good advise- glad to see you back glen-scott
Old 03-01-2011, 01:31 PM
llkoolskillet

I think i had the pipe come off twice but its super easy to fix. i made it work with what i had, runnin the truck and not spendin a crap load is what its all about!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:11 PM
jeepster820

Hi there how is the force 28 a lot of people are waiting for your verdict thanks Andy

Old 03-02-2011, 08:00 AM
BudBud

The Force is a dream engine, easy to tune, good power. The carb is silky smooth. I need to run it more, but it was really promising when I was running it. I have a new video camera now after somebody helped themselves to mine. I just need to get busy. Glen