Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Recommend engine/exhaust for Savage 5.9 XL

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:11 PM
ncostes
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend engine/exhaust for Savage 5.9 XL

I picked up a used Savage 5.9 XL that has a blown engine (piston shattered) and no exhaust header or muffler.

I've read through some of the other threads regarding "upgrade" engines etc.

I'm not looking for a better engine, I'm looking to complete the truck in the most economical way, but with decent parts.

I could probably get away w/a piston + sleeve for the 5.9 engine but that's like $90, the HPI engine exchange is like $179. The stock muffler & header looks like $38 or so, I don't recall.

Any suggestions? I've seen people mention Picco 28, LRP or something 28, OS30, etc.

I'm not looking for more power or anything, I'd normally rebuild the stock engine but I've read some complaints about the HPI 5.9 engine so I'm looking for other economical solutions.

Thanks for yoru time.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:42 PM
SavagedXXL

Default RE: Recommend engine/exhaust for Savage 5.9 XL

ORIGINAL: ncostes

I picked up a used Savage 5.9 XL that has a blown engine (piston shattered) and no exhaust header or muffler.

I've read through some of the other threads regarding "upgrade" engines etc.

I'm not looking for a better engine, I'm looking to complete the truck in the most economical way, but with decent parts.

I could probably get away w/a piston + sleeve for the 5.9 engine but that's like $90, the HPI engine exchange is like $179. The stock muffler & header looks like $38 or so, I don't recall.

Any suggestions? I've seen people mention Picco 28, LRP or something 28, OS30, etc.

I'm not looking for more power or anything, I'd normally rebuild the stock engine but I've read some complaints about the HPI 5.9 engine so I'm looking for other economical solutions.

Thanks for yoru time.

For the money, the Losi Mach 454 would probably be the cheapest good engine you can get. It made by SH, and basically the same engine as the LRP Z28R, SH .28, Dynamite Mach 28, XTM457, etc. You can pick them on ebay usually for $120 - $130. It is very good engine, and is way betterthan the 5.9. Even theF4.6 is a better stronger engine than the 5.9, but they about the sameprice as the 454, and the454 is a lot better engine, IMO, and definitely stronger.You can spend 30 or 40 and get a Picco 28 for around 170 and it is the about strongest engine you can get for less than $200.Whichever way you go, you are going to end up with abetter enginethan the 5.9 by default.
On the pipe, once again ebay will probably be your best bet on the best price.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:32 AM
ncostes

Thanks for the quick reply.

In terms of the exhaust header and pipe, assuming I go with the Mach 454 recommended, what would you recommend for the exhaust header and pipe? Quieter is better for us running in our neighborhood.

Thanks again for your time.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:05 PM
SavagedXXL

ORIGINAL: ncostes

Thanks for the quick reply.

In terms of the exhaust header and pipe, assuming I go with the Mach 454 recommended, what would you recommend for the exhaust header and pipe? Quieter is better for us running in our neighborhood.

Thanks again for your time.
The Dynamite or OFNA086 is probably one of the quietest pipes I have and it performs the best on the Mach 454. The only thing is that they are a little pricer than a stock HPI polished pipe, but worth the extra money, IMO. The Mach 454 will still run plenty god with the stock HPI polished pipe though.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:18 PM
ncostes

Thanks again for taking the time to answer. Ended up with a Dynamit Mach .28 Big Red monster from the LHS for $139 (I like to support them). They didn't have the losi. They said I can put the $6 losi backplate on to get the roto-start back.

Post breakin question here regarding pipe.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10534982

Thanks again for the advice.