Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Steering servo linkage question

Old 07-04-2011, 04:46 AM
6stringer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering servo linkage question

Hey,

I keep blowing out the part of the steering linkage that attaches directly to the servo. I stripped outthe stock plastic linkage and upgraded to an aluminum one. Well, that one stripped out as well.On each item the inner teeth get stripped out.The servo does not get damaged, but the linkage does.

The stock plastic piece broke whenI hit a curb, and the aluminum one broke on a pretty big tumble down a hill at a construciton site.

Is this condition possibly linked to somethingI am doing wrong as far as construction goes?Or is this just part of the hobby and sort of a weak spot in the general design?

Old 07-04-2011, 07:07 AM
llkoolskillet

Default RE: Steering servo linkage question

Stop crashing hehe
Old 07-04-2011, 07:29 AM
6stringer

what fun is that!?

I hear ya though, the curb was rookie error. But the construction site was having fun
Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Foxy

It is almost unheard of to strip the spline of an alloy servo horn without damaging the servo or other parts of the steering mechanism. I would suggest that the alloy horn wasn't 'quite' the right spline size. After that of course, set the servo saveer a bit softer, but really, I doubt that was the problem, as the servo saver is just that, a 'servo' saver, it works under the assumption that your servo will die before the spline of your servo horn. Of course it's possible that the alloy horn you had was cheap alloy and soft as fresh poo.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:32 AM
steed2-inactive

i agree with foxy, i have always run the stock plastic horn and never had an issue. the only time i stripped one was on a clodbuster and it turned out i had installed a 24 slpine horn on a 23 spline servo. cheers and good luck!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Freezetron

Install the HD servo saver spring
Old 07-04-2011, 06:56 PM
6stringer

I'M Tthinkin I am installing the wrong # servo horn. Iripped the front end off and verified the servo saver was working, so it's not that. The servo came with some horns and I'll try those instead of the HPI ones and see if that helps.

Regards.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:11 PM
6stringer

okay, this is probably a dumb question, but for future reference... I have a Hitec servo (HS-645MG). The web site indicates it as a C1 spline. The savage kit comes horns labeledwith 23 and 24 and 25. I am not sure how to do the conversion between the two, or how the numbers work.

Can someone wrap my head around this numbers work forfuture reference?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Freezetron

Use the 24 horn