Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Savage Flux, to XL or 5T Conversion....that is the question...

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Flux, to XL or 5T Conversion....that is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Kylar
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Flux, to XL or 5T Conversion....that is the question...

Hey Guys, looking for some opinions. I have a Savage Flux, and I want to either make it an XL with the TCS Chassis here
Or go real crazy and get this TCS Flux 5T conversion kit here
Some background info:
I have a pretty sick brushless Summit, so I'm looking for something different then just another big MT which i am worried the XL might be too much like.
I also have a 1/5th gasser so I have a large gas powered rig for the true 1/5th feel.
I kind of want something in the middle between the summit and 1/5th gasser, thats brushless powered for when i dont want to worry about the noise of gas.
The Flux will keep 1/8th Monster truck wheels to cut down on the weight of 1/5th tires if i do the TCS 5t conversion. It also has all rpm arms, alum front and rear uprights, super hd axles, stubs, etc. Alum HPI big bores, etc. I do also already have a 5t body i can use.
What do you all think? Will the XL be big enough? Or go crazy and get the TSC 5t kit and hope it holds up?
Opinions and thoughts are appreciated
Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 PM
CR500rider

Default RE: Savage Flux, to XL or 5T Conversion....that is the question...

Honestly the flux in XL length is awsome! I converted mine with the TCS extended TVPs, XL wide axles, XL wheels, tires and body. It flat out rocks! Much easier to drive than the standard flux. I would not go 1/5th scale with the flux, I hear it is really hard on tranny gears because of the extra weight and the fact that it would hook up more. The tranny gears are pretty weak even for the standard flux. I also heard the HD tranny gears will not last with the 1/5th conversion either. Just something to think about.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I would go for the XL conversion personally. I did it and loved it. I have a 5T and a 5B and I think the Savage drivetrain has no place in a 1/5 scale.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Kylar

Ok, so two votes for the XL!! Thanks for the advice so far!! Lets hear some more comments

ORIGINAL: CR500rider

Honestly the flux in XL length is awsome! I converted mine with the TCS extended TVPs, XL wide axles, XL wheels, tires and body. It flat out rocks! Much easier to drive than the standard flux. I would not go 1/5th scale with the flux, I hear it is really hard on tranny gears because of the extra weight and the fact that it would hook up more. The tranny gears are pretty weak even for the standard flux. I also heard the HD tranny gears will not last with the 1/5th conversion either. Just something to think about.

Hmmmm i dont like the sound of weak tranny gears, are there any upgraded gears available?

Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM
CR500rider

ORIGINAL: Kylar

Ok, so two votes for the XL!! Thanks for the advice so far!! Lets hear some more comments [img][/img]

Hmmmm i dont like the sound of weak tranny gears, are there any upgraded gears available?

Yes there are upgrades available, I have them in my XL Flux. However they are really thin gears. I havent had a problem with them yet, but have heard they will not stand up to a 5th scale conversion.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Kylar

Ok, so two votes for the XL!! Thanks for the advice so far!! Lets hear some more comments [img][/img]

Yes there are upgrades available, I have them in my XL Flux. However they are really thin gears. I havent had a problem with them yet, but have heard they will not stand up to a 5th scale conversion.
I have the newest available flux tranny. Which gears did you upgrade? is it these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

Old 02-09-2012, 03:12 PM
CR500rider

I have the newest available flux tranny. Which gears did you upgrade? is it these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

The flux trannys have not changed since they came out, so you have the same tranny everyone else has. Yes that is the gear i got, and also this one: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/HPI-Light...5-p-17622.html And this one: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/HPI-Light...4-p-17567.html
Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Kylar

Just an update, I decided to get the TCS XL TVP Plates. I decided i wanted a more manuveral basher, and i though the 5T super stretched chassis would be too long for doing alot of crazy jumps, bashing, etc.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics....pics....pics....
Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Kylar

Still waiting for everything in the mail, once i get it and build it i'll post some pics
Old 02-14-2012, 11:25 AM
t9dragon

Does TCS sell the TVP's and center axles together or did you have to buy them seperate?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Kylar

Their Kit uses the stock HPI SHD XL rear shaft, i think its like $6-8 and they sell it on their site. I like this because if I ever need a spare i dont have to worry about finding some custom length driveshaft. You never know when custom places/small shops might go out of business, then you are SOL.

I was able to order pretty much everything i wanted there, even a HPI Gigante Body. Best part was having everything at one place saved me a ton in shipping! For everything the shipping was only like $10!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:53 PM
CR500rider

Did you get the ESC mount to go with the XL TVPs?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Kylar

Yes I did, I got a bunch of other goodies as well. all HD gears for the tranny, velcro straps for the battery cases, plus other stuff
Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 AM
t9dragon

Come Kylar.... we need some pics....pics....pics....
Old 02-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Kylar

Patience my friend...lol I should be getting everything in the mail today. If i get done building it tonight i will post some pics
Old 02-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Kylar

Ok, Finally got some pics. Sorry for the delay. No body pics yet, but I got a brand new HPI Gigante Body which needs to be painted. unfortunately cant do that until it gets alot warmer around here

Lucky for me, all my wheel hexes looked like this, quality used parts here guys.....Also had two bent front dog bones, a bent lower arm pin, and a bent shock shaft that leaked like a sieve

Yeah thats the center completely broken out

So i got these Integy Adapters, gives me a pretty nice offset and real 17mm hex, had to modify the mounting hardware for the larger thread, but they fit like a glove now.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:46 PM
t9dragon

Looks nice... just paint the body in your garage?