Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage X SS Startup Questions

Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 AM
bhughes89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage X SS Startup Questions

I've just started breaking in my Savage XSSkit with K4.6 engine, and being a newbie to nitro,I've got a few engine questions for you Savage owners. So here's the story:

When Ifirst went to start the K4.6 brand new, I had some issues. Iconsulted the internets and my LHSfor advice, and eventually got it running. Turns outthe clutch shoewas screwed to tight onto the crankshaft of the engine andthe shoe couldn't rotate freely, creating too much torque for the engine to overcome when starting up.

However, when Iwas at the LHS, theysaid they usuallyrecommend an O.S. #8 (medium)plug for 20% nitro (which I am using in my K4.6 engine) rather than the R5 (cold) plug that comes with the engine. I have noticed that the only way to get my engine started is to heat it up to above 200F, which leads me to believe that perhaps they are correct and Ido need a hotter glow plug. So what glow plugs do you guys use in your K4.6 engines?Should I be using a different glow plug than the R5during break-in?

As a side note, a couple buddies of mine who are pretty knowledgeable about real car engines mentioned that it sounded like the engine wasn't firing on every compression, and might be skipping a beat so to speak. Is this even possible for a nitro engine?Ifeel like the glow plug would not stay hot enough tocombust the fuel if it missed a compression cycle.

Lastly, once Iget the engine started, I notice that the idle speed is quite fast.If I adjust the throttle trim on the controller to counter this, theenginestalls.Is it okay to adjust the idle needle on the carb before having set any other needles, just so the car can sit on the ground without tearing away at neutral throttle?Will I see any issues later on in the tuning process while trying to set the other needles?I know the directions say to adjust the idle needle after the HSN has been adjusted, but I'm wondering how important it is to follow these steps verbatim.

Too long, didn't read? Here's the summary of questions:
    [*]What glow plugs do you guys use in your K4.6 engines?During break-in, should Ibe using a different glow plug than the stockR5 cold plug supplied with the engine?[*]Is it possible for a nitro engine to "skip a beat" and consistently misfire?[*]If idle speed is high and adjusting the trim on the throttle causes engine to stall, is it OK to adjust the idle needle before any other needle to counteract high idle speed?Will Isee any issues later in the tuning process if I do this?[/list]Thanks!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 AM
stedyone
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Savage X SS Startup Questions

There are some great break-in videos from HPI on Youtube. Check them all out.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:10 AM
bhughes89

Default RE: Savage X SS Startup Questions

ORIGINAL: stedyone

There are some great break-in videos from HPI on Youtube. Check them all out.
Yeah the kit actually came with all those videos on a DVD and I've watched them multiple times, but they don't really address a whole lot of detail. They give you a very comprehensive step-by-step procedure type thing, but it doesn't really give you much in the way of troubleshooting or deviating from the norm when the norms not working...