Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

4.6 rebuild tips

Old 06-26-2013, 06:19 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.6 rebuild tips

Hey all, in the next few weeks I'm going to rebuild my Savage X 4.6. A few quick notes and then my questions. ;-)

1. I know the Savage the least out my vehicles. I've performed someroutine maintenance....but have yet to tear it 100% and look for weak areas, perform all maintenance, test upgrade parts, etc. (as I do with my buggies/truggies).

2, My goals for the rebuild are:
a) Durability. It's durable, but I'm seeing some weak areas that can be improved on - see my questions below in #3.
b) Quick terrain setup. In other words, I'd like a fast way to set it up for asphalt (stability) and then change outto off-road, where I run it most of the time. My off-road setup is decent now, but once I hit 2nd gear on asphalt it will flip on a dime. Instead of finding a "hybrid" choice, I'm thinking screw it. Have two setupsthat kick-ass oneach terrain I can swap out in less than an hour. I understand tire choice, ride height, shock setup etc. but looking for tips to where I can run it on the street at high speeds (reducing chassis roll) but then run it high speeds off-road and it dominate as it does now. Give me your on-road and off-road setups, please and I'll figure out how to quickly change them. ;-)
c). Linear acceleration. This goes along with (b) above. I enjoy the ability to pop a wheelie, but also want to ensure it captures all usable RPM so want to explore clutch setups for it

3. My questions:
a). Which areas are known weak-points? To-date I've only had: steering link pop off the spindle. rear bumper come loose, popped a rear upper arm due the brace's hardware coming out, pressure line come off exhaust. This is not bad considering all the sh*t we've done with it. However, I don't like popping arms like this....so need to figure out a way to better secureit. I am not worried about weight. This is a basher. I'll offset extra weight by beefing up the drive-train if I have to....but it's fast enough for me as is.
b). What's a good clutch setup for on-road and off-road? I have the stock 3-shoes and believe 1.0 springs. I have no problem having different shoe/spring setups I swap out
c. Are the diffs grease filled? If so, what is a good setup for swapping to oil? I'm almost wondering if the front oil should be heavier than the center?
d). What other things should I look for when rebuilding it, speciific to the Savage or MTs in general?

Note: I'm still a newbie but can catch on quickly so appreciate your advice here. Thanks
Old 06-27-2013, 12:47 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 4.6 rebuild tips

C'mon Savage experts - I appreciate your help. ;-)

I realize my post above was long. Here is the the succinct version:
1. Tip for better securing the rear upper arm brace.
2. What clutch setups are you running with the stock engine?
3. I assume the diffs are grease filled? If so, what diff oil weight do you recommend I switch to?
4. Any other upgrade parts I should look at while rebuilding it (mainly for durabilty). I know "it's a Savage and it's hard" etc etc, but you can always make it stronger. ;-) 

Thanks!