Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

First Savage

Old 10-03-2013, 05:34 AM
Bigbadbronx72
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Savage

So I finally broke down and scored a first gen Savage roller for cheap. Gonna make a brushless beater out of it. I will swap out the diffs and everything else I need to, don't worry lol. My question is, what is the compatibility with the new kits. What fits what? In terms of replacement and/or upgrading. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:20 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK
my recommendation sell it lol

Seriously I did what you are planning, and if you don't own a brushless system yet you will pay more to make it capable then a savage flux costs new in box

Things you will need Savage flux (or XL) Diffs, HD cups, HD driveshafts/dogbones all around, HD Axles, Flux TVP's (or a aftermarket one I used a 5mm thick one), Flux motor plate, flux motor mount, flux battery compartments, flux idler gear, savage X radio box, savage X roll bar, and also a Savage X screw kit (available on ebay usually cheap)

Things you will have to do sand the front and rear skid plates down to fit the new differentials, put the idler gear in the tranny, and throw almost everything else out except the arms, steering knuckles, and shocks (although the savage X shocks are better, and kinda cheap). Nexxt after you assemble all the new parts take the motor mount out, and be prepared to damage a dremel along with a pile of bits as you will have to grind the motor mount down to fit whatever motor you want snuggly. I used a HW 2200kv 1/8th motor and it took me over 4 hours of grinding (and like 8 bits) to fit the motor perfectly.

Now if you were just gonna use it as a nitro savage then I would have said sure you could replace crap as it broke as not much changed up till the flux, and even then the flux parts would fit, but to make it run BL you NEED all those upgrades I listed. I tried running mine without them, and it didn't even last 5 minutes before breaking 4 dogbones...

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 10-03-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:17 PM
llkoolskillet

Plan on about $500-600 plus in total cost for the conversion. I've done it twice now with two nitro savages and that's scoring crap super cheap off eBay. A new flux with batteries and charger will set you back $800 but the new fluxs come out if the box now with the HD upgrades.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Bigbadbronx72

Im using an aftermarket conversion kit. Im not trying to build a Flux. I just want to know, for upgrades in the future or easily sourced replacement parts in case I can't find Gen 1 parts.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ohh ok basically yea only issues would be say putting the old diffs on a new chassis(they will fit just takes a quite a bit of finesse, and sometimes a hammer). Outside that you basically can get a newer truck manual, and just look at what part you need swapped. Even the greater majority of aftermarket parts will fit excluding the RPM center skid plate for the newer savages those require a certain curve in the TVP's.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Bigbadbronx72

Cool. Thank you brother.