Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage x spur gear problems

Old 09-19-2014, 02:46 PM
jason4g63t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage x spur gear problems

I am having issues with my savage x eating spur gears. It keeps eating the middle out of them and leaving 2 edges. This has happened to the previous one and started to happen to the new one so I shut it down before toasting it . Talked to the guy at the lhs and he said it was because my idle was to high so I lowered it and that didnt have a effect on it. The motor mount bolts are all nice and tight I know that for sure yet the motor flexes a little bit when it is floored I am wondering if this is the source of my issue and how I could stop that. The mesh is set with the good old notebook paper trick so I don't believe that to be off. I have owned nitro rc's in the past just never a hpi product so I am new to the issues with it. Have to replace the rear diff as well as that is on the way out also . But other than that its a decent truck haven't really had a chance to have fun with it yet. I attached a picture of the gear that has the teeth ate away in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_182511.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	700.9 KB
ID:	2033587  
Old 09-19-2014, 06:56 PM
-SomeGuy-

If you're sure your mesh is good then only one thing comes to mind. Might be your clutch shoes slipping and heating the bell to the point of melting the spur gear. Check to see if the surfaces are smooth, if so a light sanding should do the trick.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:04 PM
jason4g63t

Which surfaces are you talking about?
Old 09-19-2014, 07:07 PM
-SomeGuy-

Inside the bell and clutch shoes.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:22 PM
jason4g63t

ok will check that out.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:16 AM
jason4g63t

So the clutch was nice and smoothed over so I roughed it up with some 80 grit but still had issues with the spur stripping but I haven't tried a new one.. It just killed the spur the rest of the way the same way it ate the otherone pictured before.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:47 AM
jason4g63t

Still experiencing spur gear failure issues I have gone through 3 spur gears now in less than half a tank of fuel this is getting out of hand. At this point I don't think I will ever own another hpi product again from my experience so far they are trash. I have set the mesh perfect made sure the idle wasn't set to high and everything and still I am experiencing this issue. This time it took chunks of gear off I am seriously thinking about going to a metal spur gear or getting rid of this thing and going back to traxxas where I never had a single issue with spur gears unless the motor mount came loose which in this case is not the issue.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:41 AM
NOSInjected00GT

i dont want to hi-jack but im having the exact issue as you with my X. so far i have replaced the engine mount plate which was cracked with the thicker version, replaced the clutch bell with a vented one, adjusted the idle so it doesnt move, noticed the spur gear had a little wobble to it so i replaced the top shaft on the trans and the metal hub the slipper and spur are tightened against. i use stock tires and gearing. next thing im going to do is replace the clutch shoes and springs. maybe they are worn and weak have you come up with anything for your fix yet? i do know they have an updated engine mount with a set screw that touches the end of the block to keep it from moving, maybe try that next?
Old 09-28-2014, 06:42 AM
NOSInjected00GT

also what terrain does your eat gears in? mine seems to do ok in the street but in the short grass and dirt at the park it will kill them in 1.5 tanks.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:45 PM
jason4g63t

I try to drive in the grass in my yard and it is eating them. No cracks in my engine plate honestly I picked this thing up for 40 dollars and now I am over 160 into it trying to get it running with no luck. Just keep going through spur gears and is driving me up the wall with why its happening.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:40 AM
NOSInjected00GT

i just picked up a set of dynamite clutch shoes and stiffer springs to see if that will help. i will post back after i get it to run again. i sealed the engine so all the carb settings are crazy.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:25 AM
jason4g63t

Ok sounds good let me know and to seal it you just use some good old rtv right
Old 10-07-2014, 01:09 AM
megamaxx

also if you have the slipper clutch nut cranked all the way down,you can have this issue......
Old 11-24-2014, 05:49 PM
NOSInjected00GT

it seems like the aluminum dynamite shoes and 1.0mm clutch springs helped the problem. i ran the truck again almost 2 tanks of fuel and no melted gear. will post again after next run,
Old 11-26-2014, 01:47 PM
lilbrett

Originally Posted by jason4g63t View Post
The motor mount bolts are all nice and tight I know that for sure yet the motor flexes a little bit
Are you saying that the engine moves a little? If so, it's going to change the gear mesh and lead to stripped gears. You've got to figure out what's causing the flex.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:29 AM
burnfuel

Have you checked the bearings in the clutch bell and the bearings in the transmission,also make sure the screws are in the engine mount plate to the transmission . Any fluxing at all causes spur teeth to give up...
Old 01-12-2015, 09:37 PM
-SomeGuy-

I wish I could get my hands on your truck, I'm confident I could set the perfect mesh for you. Its so hard to explain in text form how to do it right. I had the same issues at first. Then I switched to steel spur and hardened bell out of frustration. It allowed me to have more fun and less down time. Eventually I developed an affinity for meshing. When I switched back to plastic I had no more problems that were not due to how abusive I was with my savage.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lg-96380.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	2063489  
Old 11-15-2017, 08:59 PM
X savage

TE=jason4g63t;11887033]So the clutch was nice and smoothed over so I roughed it up with some 80 grit but still had issues with the spur stripping but I haven't tried a new one.. It just killed the spur the rest of the way the same way it ate the otherone pictured before.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-15-2017, 09:02 PM
X savage

You may have a crack in your engine plate , all u need is a few mm of flex and it will reck your spur gear
Old 11-16-2017, 07:45 PM
thesmilingpirate

Ditch the plastic spur gear and stock clutch bell and replace it with a Robinson steel spur gear and Robinson hardened clutch bell. You can use the stock HPI slipper pads or upgrade to the ceramic HPI slipper pads if you can find them.