Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage X parts question

Old 06-02-2015, 10:54 AM
ebrouwer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage X parts question

Hi guys,

I'm jumping back into RC with both feet! I have an OOOOOLLLLDDDDD electronic Trtaxxas Rustler, but I'm looking at trading for a nitro Savage X. Not sure what model or how old. Anything I should look for before trading? The guy says it has some brakes issues he's working on, but as long as it runs when I look at it, any reason NOT to get it? Are parts across Savage X models interchangeable? Will I be able to find replacement parts if needed? That's the best part about my 15+ year old Rustler; I can use parts that are on today's model.

Thanks!

Eric
Old 06-08-2015, 05:21 AM
madmax22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the newer savages are more beefy and larger, some parts are interchangeable but they still offer parts for the older models readily. I have an older savage X 4.6 and have gotten parts that were stocked at the LHS still. If not just about any big online retailer has what you need. Brakes are easy on these, its a simple design. mine does stoppies if I jam em. Ask how many gallons is on the motor, usually 9-12 gal's is about all you'll get before the engine has low compression & gets hard to tune/ is sluggish. Spin the wheels off the ground and make sure theres no funny noises, see if the differentials work correctly (opposite wheel your turning will go the opposite way). I got my savage that needed quite a bit of TLC for about $100, check out the PICS OF YOUR SAVAGES thread, mine is the last post in there. I wound up doing new servo's a new piston, a new differential, new wheels & tires, new shock towers, some other odds and ends and a lot of cleaning.