Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Nitro engines. Whats still available?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:20 AM
bryan1984

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro engines. Whats still available?

Hey guys, got a few questions on nitro engines for a savage or just engines in general. I have 4 savages all with a little different combos for power. I have a X with F4.6, X with a Axial .28 spec 2, a 21 with a K4.6 and a XL with a K5.9. They all seem to run good and are decent engines. My preference of the 4 is the Axial. I have a SH 28 that came with the savage 21 but needs a 1 way bearing and I haven't messed with it yet. I run VP master basher 20% fuel in them with either #4 or #5plug.

I have read about everyone saying a Picco .28 is best for power, then I read that LRP is best for power/tenability for the price. But those pots ar a few years old. Im wondering what is still available? I have looked for the Picco .28 and some of the LRP stuff and don't find much on Picco at all and LRP I find a little. I mainly bash with these but enjoy racing them around our track as well. Im getting ready to build a XL with FLM extended chassis and mid tank setup. I was wanting to put a real powerhouse in this xl. I realize bigger is not always better. I was looking at the Axial .32RR-1. But on there website they say its discontinued? I have had good luck with my Axial .28 spec 2 other than the mid needle on the carb. People claim the 32RR-1 with out preform the .28 Spec2 on low end and top end but some of the the older posts I read claim the Picco .28 will stomp pretty well everything in its equal size range or a little bigger?

So what im asking is what Is still available now days or is there a outlet for the Picco and older engines that I am not aware of?
Old 11-12-2015, 03:16 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LRP 30, Picco 28 and Novarossi 28-8

I offer all 3 of these modified versions...... All are badass !

here is my gen 1 mod LRP 30 ( My latest is about 20% more potent )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHRiEJY7Dy0

the absolute most powerful is my Nova 28-8 RT

Old 11-12-2015, 03:54 PM
supertib

Here is a dyno graph of a stock vs Gen 2 modified LRP 30

Old 11-12-2015, 04:27 PM
bryan1984

Neal, thanks for the reply. Which one of your engines would you recommend for a xl savage build? Mainly used for bashing but a little possibility it might be raced if I can get a track put together. Also looking for something that can hold a tune an has good longevity as well.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:34 PM
supertib

Originally Posted by bryan1984
Neal, thanks for the reply. Which one of your engines would you recommend for a xl savage build? Mainly used for bashing but a little possibility it might be raced if I can get a track put together. Also looking for something that can hold a tune an has good longevity as well.

Either a Novarossi Rex Legend 28-8 or LRP 30...both offer phenomenal value for the money...the Novarossi is better built, but the LRP costs a little less..... both a killer powerful and will do everything you ask of them

Old 11-12-2015, 05:42 PM
bryan1984

Ok sounds good, I will be in touch soon. Just for comparison your lrp 30, where does it stack up on hp an rpm compared to a stock hpi f4.6 or a axial 28 spec 2 with a lrp screamer 93 pipe and header? Just wondering if you have ever dynoed them for comparison?
Old 11-12-2015, 07:16 PM
supertib

Originally Posted by bryan1984
Ok sounds good, I will be in touch soon. Just for comparison your lrp 30, where does it stack up on hp an rpm compared to a stock hpi f4.6 or a axial 28 spec 2 with a lrp screamer 93 pipe and header? Just wondering if you have ever dynoed them for comparison?
Screamer 93 is not a pipe for a LRP 30 , it is meant for their OS based .21, it would be too restrictive for a big engine......

my LRP 30 will be in a entirely different world then the stock K4.6...would seem like a 100% increase in power and another added 10 000 RPM

Old 11-15-2015, 07:21 AM
sparky 25

You back At the modified engines Neal?

i was looking you up for a modded engine a little while back but clockwork engines didn't have any motors listed,
Old 11-17-2015, 03:56 AM
supertib

Originally Posted by sparky 25
You back At the modified engines Neal?

i was looking you up for a modded engine a little while back but clockwork engines didn't have any motors listed,

www.thenitroshop.com

I had to shut down my part of Clockwork and walkaway due to unreasonable issues with my ex business partner............ I currently have nothing to do with the CRE website...........
Old 11-27-2015, 06:33 AM
sparky 25

Good to see you back at it again,

going right now to purchase one of your modded lrp30 engines,

thanks.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:58 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I think it's kinda funny how Neal used to bash LRP (SH) engines saying they were trash engines.... Yet he sells them now. Huh... Interesting.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:16 AM
supertib

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I think it's kinda funny how Neal used to bash LRP (SH) engines saying they were trash engines.... Yet he sells them now. Huh... Interesting.

I have not bashed the LRP engines for many many many years ( please find where I bashed them and prove me wrong if you can, I challenge you ! )........... I have however argued that the LRP weren't the bestest engines on the market which to the rabid fanboys is the same as bashing them....... In fact I have recommended the LRP to guys for many years now.....I just haven't started modifying them till this last year ......... why do I work on them now ? customer demand..... I still prefer the higher quality engines like Nova but if my customers want LRP I will give them LRP !
Old 12-26-2015, 05:57 AM
supertib

Here's Enzo...he is now about 14 months old.....top pic is most recent ! at one year he was 151lbs....happiest puppy alive, very good temperament so far.....

Last edited by supertib; 12-26-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:30 PM
mjg3

ok so after that little rant can we get back on the topic. I'm also looking for a new mill for the savage X
Old 01-10-2016, 07:04 AM
supertib

what are you looking for in a engine ? there are lots of really powerful engines out there....LRP 28,30,32, Picco 28, Novarossi 28............ as well as modified versions of each of these engines
Old 01-10-2016, 08:05 AM
-SomeGuy-

Do yourself a favor and avoid doing business with this guy. Just read the crap he spews over and over. Not someone you want to deal with in case something goes wrong. Plus the average backyard basher has no need for high revving insane racing engines. They will be more of a pain than anything else. I like picco engines and run em unmodified. They require a higher level of tuning skills and much more break in time. Is a 1 to 2 gallon break in really something you want to do? I don't know, maybe. The payoff is great but you can have lots of fun and reliability with ease of break in and tuning with a simple LRP engine for example. Those can be had NEW on ebay for well under 200$. I saw a .28 SH selling for 127$ brand new. The Z.28 was around 175$. You don't need to drop 300$ to 400$, that's just crazy.

That being said, and as much as I dislike Neil, he does do great work. Just not needed in a savage or any other non racing rig. The savage is way more fun with a good, reliable yet strong engine. Too much power makes it uncontrollable. A stock Picco .27 (still have 2 new ones) or .28 is borderline in my opinion. Novarossi and Picco make great quality engines but the price is really up there. What Neil suggests would be like putting an Italian bred racing engine in a Bronco. Overkill to the tenth power plus a wad of cash in his pocket.

One of the best lessons I got from RC is always have two of everything cause downtime sucks. Go on Ebay and get 2 LRP's for less than one of Neil's engines, you will thank me in the long run.

P.S. Took this vid off Neils site, its a perfect example of what I'm talking about. He thinks he's showing off the AMAZING power! Instead he's showing how its now overpowered and uncontrollable. Plus it'll be much more prone to breaking and will cost you a small fortune in parts. And aaaall that downtime... Yuk! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gknQU2EytM
Old 01-10-2016, 08:26 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

You can get a Novarossi Legend 28 for $120 from Novarossidirect.com. I haven't seen an SH based .28 cheaper than that, EVER. Though I don't think the fit and finish of the SH based engines is all that bad, I do think if a Novarossi and SH were the same price, I'd get the Nova. I'm in the process of selling some stuff to acquire a Nova .28 for an LST2 truck I'm doing some speed mods to. http://novarossidirect.com/LEGEND28-8_p_3226.html
Old 01-10-2016, 08:39 AM
-SomeGuy-

Shows I've been out of the game for a little while. You couldn't get a rossi for under 300$ back in the day. I see the one you linked has a regular price of 300$+ so I guess its still the same deal except for sales now and then?
Old 01-10-2016, 08:50 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by -SomeGuy-
Shows I've been out of the game for a little while. You couldn't get a rossi for under 300$ back in the day. I see the one you linked has a regular price of 300$+ so I guess its still the same deal except for sales now and then?
This "sale" has been going on for quite some time then. When I see online "sales" that list the "original" price and a "sale" price that doesn't change for a long time, I equate the "original price" to a "list price" and the "sale price" to a "net" price. Look at Traxxas - their "MSRP" of a 3.3 Engine is like $250, but a trade-in price ("sale price" that never changes") of $130. The fact is, any company wanting to sell something has to lower their prices to compete with the Chinese imports. Novas were always out of reach for me because I didn't want to spend $400 on a basher MT engine since I could get an $80 SH variant that I won't ever wear out. Since the pricing has gotten more competitive, I'm more willing to spend the money on a better engine for a few reasons. One - for something new. Two - because I want to confirm or deny the claims that a Nova will tune easier, hold a tune better, and just overall run better than an SH engine. Three - I'm tuning/modifying an MT for speed and want a higher revving engine. Piccos are more expensive than Novas right now - I considered a Picco too.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:26 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Alright fellas.. Take it to PMs..... Please? We aren't doing the fellas that need help any favors by keeping this crap going in the general forum. Or at least stop mudding up this other fellas thread. I was guilty of it myself as well, but I'm done with it. These he-said she-said arguments are meaningless and just turn folks away.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:39 PM
-SomeGuy-

My last word on this; nobody needs an engine that costs as much as the truck or more than twice its value, that's just insane. I've read many posts that hail the great quality of Neal's engines so just know I'm not knocking that one bit. Last thing I'll say about him is he should have standard engines for the casual hobbyist because what he has to offer is more geared towards the high experienced hobbyist and professionals.

I honestly believe that if someone new to the hobby gets an engine that's overpowered for what they have, they will end up with a broken rig more often than not. And THAT will get newbs to back out of the hobby fast. We all get into it to have fun, spending more time fixing and upgrading gets costly and kills the fun for a newb. Its always good to keep it as simple as possible at first. Get to know your truck inside and out a little at a time. You don't want to have to tear it down because one of your diffs gave in early because it wasn't ready for the excess power. Plus for a newb, its better to learn and maybe kill an engine that costs as little as possible. You don't want to overheat a 300$ to 700$ engine and ruin it. The smart thing is to wait till you have the tuning skills in the bag before you consider something with a high price tag on it. Plain common sense.

My 2 cents worth.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:02 AM
sparky 25

Have you visited the Tns site?

Neal sells stock motors, as well as modded ones,

i wouldnt try try talking anyone out of buying a modded motor,
If that's the sort of power they wanted then people can make their own judgement
as to weather it justifies the higher price,

ive ran stock motors all my life but was never truly impressed with their performance,
ive had piccos, 26/27/28 sh21/28 sirio 27, lrp21/28/30
plus loads of rc manufacturers branded mills

The piccos had good rpm but not a lot of bottom end,
the lrp30 was probably one of the engines I was most happy with,
great bottom end midrange, but fell a bit flat on top rpm
The force 28 is also a decent motor in stock form,
run one in my truggy and it's perfectly matched for my driving,

ive a Tns modded lrp30 purley for the ease of tuning and for the extra upper rpm they give,

Last edited by sparky 25; 01-16-2016 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:42 AM
supertib

I dont push my engines onto newbies...in fact that is the last thing I would do....... I come to this forum to prevent newbies from getting bad tuning and setup advice from the so called forum guru's. ...right now these basher forums are full of fakes pretending to be engine gurus who are spitting out all sorts of goofy doodle information ............

I have a stellar reputation for a reason, if i sold my engines to newbies these forums would be littered with complaints and troubles which they are not.....so either I would have to spend hours and hours teaching them to tune, or I just don't sell to them....either way there isn't a single complaint anywhere on any forum of me selling my engines to someone new to the hobby so stop slandering me with false accusations as obviously you have no clue whatsoever about me and what I do and don't do.........
Old 01-16-2016, 06:57 AM
supertib

As a business I cannot discriminate someone by telling them they can't buy something.....I offer my recommendations but I leave the decision to them what they choose....there is a fine line between offering good advice and offending someone by not selling them something they want......... Not everybody out there is on a tight budget, in fact many guys prefer to buy higher end gear, .probably more then you would expect ... You guys on this forum are acting like a reverse elitist and attacking anything and anyone who represents anything other then the basic RTR engines you yourselves run....Your sitting there telling people what they should and should not buy simply based off your own personal budgets....assuming everyone is int he same position as you......... I will tell you that it isn't like this out there, a majority of the hobbyist I deal with have no issue spending money and buying nice gear,...I prefer to lay out all the facts then let the consumer make their own decisions....
Old 01-22-2016, 07:31 AM
sparky 25

Should be a "LIKE button on this site!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	2142800