Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

K4.6 engine issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 02:31 AM
Thesavagebeast-2017

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K4.6 engine issue

Hi I have just broken in my new piston and sleeve in my hpi 4.6 nitro engine and have got the high speed needle set by going up and down in straight lines but when I go round in circles clockwise there is no smoke coming from the exhaust and the engine sounds like it is screaming but if I go anti clockwise it does the complete opposite and goes much slower and has lots of smoke coming from the exhaust but if I drive back in straight lines it sounds like it should on hpi website (only been driving these for about 6 months)any help would be appreciated
Old 04-18-2017, 07:29 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

The high speed needle controls overall fuel flow into the engine with most of its effect on he higher rpm range of the engine (about the last 30-40% of throttle travel) and the idle needle affects the idle and midrange mixture (idle up to about 60-70% of throttle travel).

Set the the high speed needle first for best top end performance - clean running and no misfiring at the top rpm. Once you get no better running on top, back the high speed needle richer 1/8-1/4 turn. Now set the idle mixture so it will idle for 10-20 seconds and only be slightly loaded up yet still rev up and clean out. If it revs slow and then quits, it's too rich. Lean it 1/16th turn and run a WOT pass to clean it out and test the idle again. If you are too lean, your head temp will spike and/or the engine will cut out. If this happens, richen the needle 1/4 turn and test again. It's always better to start out rich and work leaner.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:18 PM
sparky 25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Set your idle gap to approx 1mm,
the low end needle controls only what the engine idles at, providing you have the 1mm idle gap set,
use the high speed needle for all the remainder of tuning,
this is the most effective form of tuning,
i used 1qwksport2-5r tuning method for years but the method I use now is easier and more precise,