Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Maintenance before play?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 08:33 PM
latebloomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance before play?

I have an old school HPI Savage .25 & I replaced the fuel lines on it today & checked the glow plug. It looks pretty orange after all these years, but I might get a new glow plug & spur gear tomorrow if the hobby shop is open. I tried to get the gear off tonight but no luck until I watched youtube, because I knew there was an easier way. I haven't run my savage in I think 10 plus years & apart from watching all the "start a nitro engine" videos, would it also be a good idea for me to take apart the drivetrain to add new grease, as per the photos in the instruction book? I'm also going to change my roto start from Tamiya plugs to deans plugs, as I don't have the attachments I made when it comes to charging stick packs.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2019, 02:42 PM
latebloomer

I didn't have any luck getting a spur gear for my savage at the hobby shop yesterday afternoon. The guy said I would have to order a stainless steel gear along with a clutch bell. I never thought to ask him how long it would take to come in. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft...ationFlag=true I'm starting to think about getting a different brand of nitro truck or even downsizing to a 1/10 scale. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft...ationFlag=true http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft...ationFlag=true I know that life gets in the way of fun, or things have to be ordered as in my case & we can't control the weather. I just wanna do some outdoor bashing this summer, rather than looking at a paperweight with wheels.
Thanks

Last edited by latebloomer; 07-02-2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: to make a better comment
Old 07-19-2019, 06:03 AM
jdiamond

I was in the same boat, truck sat for nearly 10 years. I can tell you that the grease was very "stiff", and that the engine felt almost seized due to the oil having thickened considerably. Little massaging though, and everything came back to life.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:35 PM
latebloomer

I ordered a stock spur gear through Amazon & have yet to install it. Its a 47 Tooth so I'm thinking I might have to get a different clutch bell to go with it. I remember the guy at the hobby shop mentioned about getting a 48 T gear with a 16 T clutch bell. I've got grease for my truck, but I forgot that loctite is required when building in this hobby except I don't think I'll need it for what I'm doing. I noticed a couple ads on Kijiji/Ebay where a savage .25 is going for $100 & the other ad 2 Savages are for sale for the same price. I think both ads are good deals, yet I live too far away if I chose to make a purchase