Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Steering Problem, Maybe?

Old 01-07-2004, 05:30 PM
SJMILLER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Problem, Maybe?

Hello all,
My savage has about a gallon through it. First let me say how impressed I am with this truck. I have been running it like a madman since about 1/2 gallon and it is indestructable! (So Far ). Anyway, about two tanks ago i noticed that with the truck sitting still when I turn the wheels they set ther and click,click,click. The truck still runs great and steers fine, but this strikes me as odd. I am a veteran RC Airplane guy and I am brand new to MTs. I don't understand what the wheel on the servo is, I am assuming this is where the noise is coming from. Any input?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Planet-RC

Default RE: Steering Problem, Maybe?

wow i have never seen one that will click sitting still but give complete steering moving. have u changed batteries(dont know why it could be this but just a thought). have u looked into the servo to see if anything is starting to strip. what kind of tire/wheel combo do u have?
Old 01-07-2004, 05:41 PM
SJMILLER

Put fresh batteries in because I had the same thought. Everything is stock.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:42 PM
tegwin

Well i have the stock wheels and steering linkages on my savage 21, but i have a hitec 645MG servo and my turning circle seems to be huge, what could be wrong???

Should the wheels turn when the truck is not moving?

on a flat surface what is a good turning circle?

Could my servo saver be broken perhaps??

This sucks.....
Old 01-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Planet-RC

i would say it is the settings u have your camber and caster at. also maybe your just not getting enough volts to the steering servo for it to perform its best. try using a 5 cell hump pack.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:46 PM
dirtsavage

I've been running RC cars and trucks for over 15 years. This is the classic sign of a gear stripping inside of the servo. You may still get steering action when the truck is moving. But when the truck is sitting still, the pressure that is exerted on the servo gear will cause it to skip cause of the teeth that are stripped on the gear in the servo. Hence the "clicking" noise. If you think about it, on a real car without power steering, it is hard to steer the car when sitting still. Once the car moves forward of backwards it is easier to turn the wheels. Well the same applies to RC trucks. Plus the larger the size of the tires, the more stress and pressure the servo gears undergo.

You should swap out the steering servo for a high-torque metal gear servo. This will vastly improve and bullet proof your steering set-up.

Hope this helps!
Good Luck!!
Old 01-07-2004, 07:55 PM
Planet-RC

ha so i was pretty much right. i was thinkin it was steering servo because well i just had the same thing happen to me at the track a couple of weeks ago. no steering sitting still. all steering in the world at a moving pace. i reccomend a hitec 645mg steering servo
Old 01-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Baroncowboy
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys.... Anyhow about the Savage steering problems.... I work at a local hobby shop and have had the cahnce of running about ten of these guys bran-spankin new...So anyhow about the steering setting still deal... The savage's standard servo really has no torque from the get go and would be one of the first things I would replace... The reason that the wheels dont turn while setting still si because the truck has to much traction with all 11.5 pounds of weight pushing down... So what happens in return is that the servo saver is taking all the pull of the servo,being the fact that the stock servo saver is pretty lose for just this reason....I put futaba metal gear servos in the steering unit,and go with a stiffer servo saver...The reason for the stiffer servo saver is the fact that it handles more precisely and the metal gear servo can take that kinda punishment... The two other things that I recomend changing imediatly is the stock shocks with alluminums since Ive seen a few stocks bust at the seam and leak everywere not to menchen having weak springs...The next thing I would concider going with is getting some aluminum upper A-arms since they'll most likely be the first thing
you'll break when you land hard sideways... Other than that I will take me a good ol Savage over a decked out T-maxx any day!
Old 01-07-2004, 10:21 PM
SJMILLER

Hey guys,
Thanks for the input. Upon further consideration I reached the same conclusion, stripped servo. The servo saver had me stumped but after tearing the thing apart I think I see what is going on. Anyway, time to replace the servo. I have several airplane servos hanging around and one of them will be used for a temporary replacement, but I would like some recommendations for a permanent replacement. Specific brand and type if available. I don't want to drop $100 bucks on a servo, but I would like to get a decent one. Thanks for all the tips!
Old 01-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Planet-RC

i reccomend a hitec 645MG high torque servo for both steering and throttle/brake. this servo imo is one of the best out there for the price. only 40 from ace hardware hobbies
Old 01-08-2004, 11:36 AM
SJMILLER

Ok, I will check it out. FYI, I installed an old Hitech 425BB servo and it is giving me twice the steering capability of the Stock servo. Is the stock servo that weak? I have one of the newer Savages, got it for christmas. I thought they where supposed to have a higher torque steering servo, but it wasn't much apparently. This hitech is only rated at like 40 oz, but it sure woks well. I will be getting a metal geared servo though for the durability issue.
Thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 05:33 PM
tegwin

Tee hee

I found out the cause of my problems.

The D/R was very low and the servo wasnt moving atall, now i have altered the D/R it works like a dream.

Is the stock savage steering servo savaer suitable for the hitec 645MG servo??

Dunc
Old 01-27-2004, 08:12 AM
matster

Not really. The stock servo saver can't really cope with the torque from the Hitec 645mg. I would suggest upgrading to a 'Monster Pirate' steering servo saver. it is pretty much a straight swap for the upright linkage arm. I don't have a link for the part but I do know that the SC store on www.savage-central.com sell them.

P.S. Once you have done this upgrade you can swap the servo arm for a nice ally one.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:56 AM
savageness

i hav the hitec 625 and a 4 cell battry pack so theres 4.8v goin through it, this gives 76oz torque, is this enough????
P.S. PLEASE REPLY!!!