Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Most bang for buck bashing hop-ups

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 11:29 AM
otterball21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Most bang for buck bashing hop-ups

I got a robinson's racing one.. which is metal and it hasn't showed any problems yet.. my engine has issues.... that's my only problem so far
Old 02-11-2004, 05:26 PM
G1GY

Same deal here. No problems with using a titanium or steel spur ever! As for the plastic spur being supplied for a reason, the reason would be that the cost would have to be passed on to the fickle consumer who might not buy at the increased price. The plastic spur would have been a break point for kit's such as the first Monster Pirate that did not have a slipper clutch, and the next generation MP came with a slipper and a steel spur from the factory. This isn't the only case where the steel spur is part of the stock set up that the mfgr. has supplied.

DaSHiKi,

So if what you are saying is true about plastic Vs. steel spurs (That the plastic is supplied because of the safety margine it gives those who can't do a simple slipper adjustment, and not the cost.) Are the plastic shocks better than threaded aluminun shocks? (You pick the brand.) After all the plastic will break before the aluminum and possibly spare something else. And the plastic tuned pipe is supplied with the Savage 25 because it's superior to all the aftermarket pipes. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

If that's the reason you choose to stay away from steel spurs that's OK, but don't tell others that your reason is a rule of thumb when in fact it's just your opinion.(Take a look at your sig to learn what opinions are like!)

*Edit*= Typo
Old 02-11-2004, 10:22 PM
wolfcire

My question is what is the best combo for spur to clutch bell combo, for the Savage SS
Old 02-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Rcinit

Your comment about his sig was just too funny!!! LMAO
Old 02-11-2004, 10:44 PM
DaSHiKi

well actually 99 percent of the posts on here are opinions you have an opinion on steel I have an opinion on plastic if steel was that much of an improvement remember thats the name of the original post "most bang for your buck" then a plastic 49 tooth gives you the same as a steel 49 tooth and therefore is not a good hop up for the discussion of this post.

would you agree with me on that?
Old 02-11-2004, 10:47 PM
wolfcire

Yes I would agree.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:14 PM
G1GY

ORIGINAL: DaSHiKi

well actually 99 percent of the posts on here are opinions you have an opinion on steel I have an opinion on plastic if steel was that much of an improvement remember thats the name of the original post "most bang for your buck" then a plastic 49 tooth gives you the same as a steel 49 tooth and therefore is not a good hop up for the discussion of this post.

would you agree with me on that?
I would agree that it's all a matter of opinion, But I was replying to your post in which you said:
don't buy a steel spur they are not worth the tranny you have to replace when the spur gear keeps trying to push the transmission you need to have a weak link in the system other wise bad things will happen the cost of a steel spur equals about 10 plastic ones here are the things I would do first:
I didn't recomend the steel spur, but rather I just pointed out (and questioned) your statement so others wouldn't take that info to the bank.

As far as the original post being "most bang for your buck", it was in fact "Most bang for buck bashing hop-ups". Since you don't use a steel spur (for whatever your reasons might be.), I don't expect you to even know how much more reliable they are when it comes to bashing and durability. So allthough they may not provide a real performance advantage, thay do provide a durability advantage over plastic w/o the danger of damaging your transmision as you have said.

So to keep things on topic here, I will say that a steel spur for bashing is much more dependable and durable. This is not my opinion, but rather it is a fact.

And your opinion would be?

*EDIT* Typo
Old 02-12-2004, 06:53 PM
DaSHiKi

fact is no they are not not for the topic of this discussion thank you
Old 02-12-2004, 07:22 PM
G1GY

ORIGINAL: DaSHiKi

fact is no they are not not for the topic of this discussion thank you
Fact is that the topic deals with "HOP-UPS" which stock spurs are not! On the other hand a steel spur is concidered to be a hop-up.

Also if they where not for the topic of this discussion, why did you feel it so important to state your opinion on how bad they are?
Old 02-12-2004, 07:28 PM
YanBooth

OK! We get it, every has there own preferences, and I must say I, umm, well, my preference would be more toward the plastic's... But WHO CARES?!?!? The person asked the question, give your oppinions, and let THEM decide!!!
Yan
**My opinion may be complete BS, and please note that it is not mine in any form or way!!!**
Old 02-12-2004, 07:32 PM
G1GY

That's right. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what they want to buy or not buy. But if you state false facts to make your opinion seem more ideal, that is wrong. Don't you think?
Old 02-12-2004, 08:16 PM
diirtbag
My Feedback: (3)

you only need a steel spur when you put some real power in the truck such as a dynamite , picco ,sirio or one of those pull start converted high power buggy engines with some power if you tighten the slipper to much it blows out the shifting cam so with a plastic one under real power you will quickly melt out the middle .that might be why someone that has been through that a few times would recommend it as indespencible .but if youre just running around pretending like you know what a tough truck is and have never seen real power in one you probably wouldnt see its neccesary
Old 02-12-2004, 08:25 PM
diirtbag

ooooohhh and I forgot if you like to beat on youre truck the biggest wast of money is aluminum body posts anyone I know that bought them had to remove them after they rolled a few times and the posts got bent and scratched they quickly look horrible those are for the shelf queens
Old 02-12-2004, 08:49 PM
YanBooth

ORIGINAL: G1GY

That's right. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what they want to buy or not buy. But if you state false facts to make your opinion seem more ideal, that is wrong. Don't you think?
... That is true... In some cases, but I don't care anmore... I'm gonna stop arguing, anybody gonna join alaong with me??
Yan
Old 02-12-2004, 08:58 PM
wolfcire

I Have just acquired a new Savage SS Frame and I was wondering (anyones opinion)
on what would be a great engine to start off with in it. I have no engine currently, but like the Subject is most Bang for the buck, I would like the best I could get for a descent price.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:14 PM
diirtbag

what do you mean in some cases how about always. people that dont know ask questions and to feed them just whatever you dream up is no help .I know what its like to be ignorant about the hobby and I would not want anybody to waste the amount of money I have just to learn what works we arent talking about racing wieght is not an issue so the fact is steel will out last many many plastic gears and will not hurt the tranny and wont leave you pulling youre motor to swap youre burnt out spur just to finish youre tank so dont be posting silly cenarios about what you can dream up lets stick to how things actually work so the people asking dont get to lost Im not even stating my opinion I am saying what works and its not just what I think there is 6 high powered savages that I run with this is basic common knowledge to all of us because we all found out the hard way
Old 02-12-2004, 09:21 PM
diirtbag

hey wolfcire the.26 picco is awesome and a resonable price 3 of my friends are running it and the one that gave it a gallon for break in just kills them all you will spend more on parts cause you will find the weak spots
Old 02-12-2004, 10:24 PM
G1GY

ORIGINAL: YanBooth

ORIGINAL: G1GY

... That is true... In some cases, but I don't care anmore... I'm gonna stop arguing, anybody gonna join alaong with me??
Yan
Very good reply when your at a loss for a reasonable retort.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:41 PM
G1GY

Hey wolfcire, are you new to the nitro r/c hobby? If you are, you'll be very impressed even if you put the stock 25 engine in the Savage.

I don't race or anything like that, I'm into bashing so I alway's wear out the stocker engine before I upgrade.

Make sure to post a thread on the engine you pick and let us know what you think of it.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:07 AM
wolfcire

Default RE: RE: Most bang for buck bashing hop-ups

I was into it about 6-7 years ago, a friend of mine had one and we would always drive it. I am back in thogh and know its my own
Old 02-13-2004, 05:02 AM
matster

I agree with GIGY, The stock .25 hpi lump is a beast. I was out of 'the game' for about a year, and when I returned all the engines had expanded beyond my wildest dreams. The 25 stock engine has plenty of torque and power and its fairly cheap.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:20 PM
diirtbag

good advice a fellow I know bought a savage was worried about keeping up so upgraded to a picco right away it was his first engine and he hasent broke it in properly it is sad to see it run it will never have the power it should now he would have been better learning with the stocker the .25 wails
Old 02-13-2004, 03:29 PM
diirtbag

but if you dont have the stock engine .the most bang for youre buck is the picco I have a dynamite in mine which is good as well more low end than the picco but not as fast
Old 02-13-2004, 03:46 PM
wolfcire

I don't have the stock engine, so I am looking for a great engine that wont break me(cost wise)
Old 02-13-2004, 10:38 PM
wolfcire

What about the orion Wasp.26 same or better than Picco .26

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.