Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New Savage

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 12:58 AM
bsmith9510

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Savage

Finally got my Savage today. I bought the 25RTR. Just finished running a tank while it sat on a cinder block. The thing is awsome. I love and haven't even driven it yet. If anyone else buys one, I learned a couple of things. The directions look like they came from a previous version. They mention a non existant fuel priming bulb on the tank. I put my finger over the exhuast and cranked the rotostart and it primed fine(got that advise reading another thread, thx.) Also the LSN was set WAY too lean. I had to back it off alot, almost a full turn. I live in houston, its about 30deg. and very humid. Don't know if that mattered. I'm going to do two more tanks like this and then drive it slowly for a couple more. Send any advise. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84524.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	214921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83892.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	214922  
Old 01-14-2005, 03:18 AM
NitroDriver

Default RE: New Savage

The instructions must be from an earlier model. From what I understood, the tank with the primer was on the Savage 25. Mine is an SS, but it didn't have a fuel tank primer either. It is a blast to drive, I only drove mine once since the break in (only nice day we've had in a month), and only for about half an hour, but I can tell that when it stops being freezing and snowing/raining, this thing will be sweet for jumping. Enjoy your new truck.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:39 AM
savageman90
My Feedback: (12)

it is weird i have a ss and it has a primer
Old 01-14-2005, 07:56 AM
bsmith9510

You're right NitroDriver. It is from a Savage 25. Only the engine manual though. The truck manual is OK. The engine manual talks about the pull start and primer.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:33 AM
stevblutu15

the primer was on the .21
Old 01-14-2005, 09:45 AM
neil.jb

i think some of you are a little confused, let me clear it up for you,

when the very first savage 21 came along it had a fuel tank with a primer, then when the ss was first released it also had a primer, then the savage 25 was born with the primerless fuel tank, then they started putting primerless fuel tanks in with ss kit (there were also a few other changes to the specs between the kits but im keeping it simple)
Old 01-14-2005, 11:17 AM
rcpants

I think we all forgot to congratulate him on his fine purchase!!

Way to go, welcome to the club....
Old 01-14-2005, 11:26 AM
disasterofdaeast
My Feedback: (1)

im about a week away form getting my savage25RTR also. we are going to the bank today!!! i cant wait till i get it.[>:][>:][>:]
Old 01-14-2005, 07:57 PM
bsmith9510

Two more tanks and some slow driving on the fourth. Love that sound![8D] Gotta play with the settings now. It likes to die when i open the throttle and also when I apply the brakes. It does idle pretty good although it is always wanting to move.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:59 PM
ratpower396

take your time breaking it in the longer you take the better it runs.. I took about 9 rich tanks(progressively leaning it out ofcourse) before i let it rip & it does rip at that.,.Do yourself a favor & get a rechargeable hump pack & switch with built in charging lead & you will love it even more..With the battery you will get great amount of runs in before you have to recharge batteries verses changing alkaline batteries after every 5 to 6 tanks& you will have more power to your brakes to stop better 9eliminating brake mods) & your steering will be better too. Good luck you have an excellent truck to have fun with
Old 01-16-2005, 12:23 AM
sledmanass
My Feedback: (2)

welcome to the club, i suggest once you get used to the truck you upgrade the pipe, if you do get the Hpi ribbed one, youll get more low end torq and the sound will be awsome.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:38 AM
bsmith9510

On the ninth take I decided to let loose a little off road and ended up breaking the engine mount. See thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Sava...2542874/tm.htm

So my first mod was an after market engine mount. Now I am paranoid about the engines safety so I think I'll be getting a roll cage. They look really cool with the truck and SUV bodies anyway.

Oh yeah, I ordered the receiver hump pack. Found an old airplane flight pack in the closet and stole the charging jack/switch. I'll live with the 4.8v version for a couple days.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:01 AM
nitrocurt

just took order of my savge 46 do u think i made the right choce if so whats the speed on the things and is it easy to get parts