Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Stopping an engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 07:25 PM
stevblutu15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stopping an engine

How do you guys stop the engines?, so far i have 3 manuals telling me to pinch the fuel ine, but the savage's manual says not to do that, becaue it will make the engine run lean and put your finger over the exaust instead. The other 3 manuals say not to put your finger over the pipe. They contradict each other.
Whats the correct way to stop the engine, and what are the consequinces of using the pipe meathod?
Old 01-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Mako3

Default RE: Stopping an engine

LOL, I guess im doing the opposite of what hpi wants me to do I see all the guys that race at my lhs pinch off their fuel line so I have done the same I have tried putting a cloth over the exhaust but it keeps running so I just pinch it. BTW can you get burnt if you plug the exhaust pipe because I've always been afraid of that being really hot.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:34 PM
stevblutu15

i guess you could, but if you put your finger over the pipe, it stops withen less than a second, so it isnt like your holding it on there for long. I have never burnt myself
Old 01-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Mako3

Ohh thats wierd maybe its different with a cloth because it takes like 5 sec with the cloth and one time I couldnt even turn on the engine tht way or pinching the fuel line I had to pull off the fuel line from the carb so it couldnt get ne more fuel I was shaking for the rest of that day I think its because when I was priming it it would work so I blew through the fuel line that hook onto the exhaust than I poured some fuel down the carb and luckly I didnt put my air filter back on because a huge white flame came out and even hit my roll bar it was so big but when I tried starting it up again thats when that problem occured that it wouldnt shut off. But I think either way is really fine!
Old 01-16-2005, 08:11 PM
brokenstuff

i stick the tip of my shoe on the flywheel but thats only if its exposed plugging the exhaust would be bad i would think rather pinch the fuel line
Old 01-16-2005, 08:18 PM
ZEWSKI

Straight off of HPI website:

How do I stop the engine?
If the engine is tuned properly (not too rich or too lean), it is perfectly safe to let the fuel run out completely and let the engine die.

If you want to stop running the car before the fuel runs out, use a rag to stick over the exhaust tip to stop the engine. Make sure it is thick enough or bunched up so you do not burn your hand. Do not use your thumb over the air filter to stop the engine, you may push dirt from the filter into the engine.

NOTE: NEVER use your finger or thumb to stop the flywheel of the engine, this is very dangerous and possibly harmful to your hand!
Old 01-16-2005, 08:20 PM
neil.jb

pluging the exhaust is fine, if your just shutting it off for a while it loads a little fuel into the engine so its ready primed for when you start it again, if you are packing away for the day then you should be doing your after run routine so either way plugging the exhaust is ok
Old 01-16-2005, 08:21 PM
Ahab

Mako, that sounds like you are saying you were running without the airfilter on?

if you pinch the line, you starve the engine of fuel - making it lean. Lean means less lubrication - therefore more wear. I suppose for the 10 seconds it runs like this it isnt going to kill your engine, but it wont do it any good.

if you plug the end of the pipe you stop the exhaust leaving the stinger - the only place it has to go is back to the fuel tank, increasing the pressure - forcing more fuel into the engine - making it run richer, and richer till it dies. Richer means more fuel and more lube - richer is safer.

of course there is a third way. It is tricky to do on a savage, but if you stop the flywheel the engine dies instantly. Some claim you can do it with your thumb, and perhaps you can but unless you have hands like an amish farmer i wouldnt advise it.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:35 PM
stevblutu15

so if pinching the line is so bad, how come SH reccommends it, Traxxas, and Associated?
Old 01-16-2005, 08:43 PM
neil.jb

who cares, just stop your engine how ever you like, what ever makes you happy [8D]
Old 01-16-2005, 08:59 PM
stevblutu15

im just wondering if one way will harm the engine or not
Old 01-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Kensaku

Pinch line or plug pipe, both work, both are harmless.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:18 PM
shrapnel

stoppping the engine is not hard....
the safest and best and quickest and easyest way
IS TO BLOCK OFF THE EXHAUST PIPE
i cant just put a rag over it
that will take a while.

MAKE SURE THE EXHAUST OUTLET HOLE IS FULLY BLOCKED.
it will stop instantly.
i always do it with my fingure, sometimes it can be hot. but meh
Old 01-16-2005, 10:39 PM
rustler 1

PINCH LINE = LEANED OUT ENGINE AT END OF PLAY (****ED IT UP BASICALLY AND IT WONT LAST AS LONG)

COVERED PIPE = FUEL STILL IN EVERYTHING AND READY FOR NEXT TIME

* IF YOU STILL WANNA PINCH LINE JUST TAKE BODY OFF AND PINCH CLOSE AND GIVE ABOUT FULL THROTTLE SO IT GOES THROUGH THE FUEL EASY AND DOESNT HARM AS LONG. WE ALL KNOW WITH SAVAGES ANOTHER WAY TO KILL IT IS TO LET IT IDLE FOR 30 SECONDS AND GIVE IT FULL TROTTLE AND IT WILL DIE. WITH MINE IT DOES THAT.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:46 PM
DarkSavageX

i dont think anyway will hurt the engine. just turn the **** off.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:40 AM
nitro_D

The best way is to completely run out of fuel. But use a rag that is slightly moist so the air can't get out. If you get a hankey and wet it then put over a cup full of water the water wont come out.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Lt. DEATH

Just touch the flywheel.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:09 AM
RedBullSSG

I just jam a pencil in the carb. Hit two birds with one stone, turn off your engine and sharpen a pencil!

Seriously, the pipe causes the least chance of damage. I use a end mill tube cap. It fits over the pipe pretty well, and kills the motor almost instantly. I leave it on until the next time I run to keep oil from dripping on my bench. If you know someone that works at a tool shop, ask him to bring home a tube top from a 5/16" or 3/8" (I can't remember off hand) end mill tube...
Old 01-17-2005, 10:26 AM
stevblutu15

well if the pipe is the least harmful, why do companies say it's no good for the engine? It is true that pinching the line leans out the engine, but if you run out of gas in the tank it does the same thing.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:32 AM
DarkSavageX

idk. they all wrong. just through it off a cliff. works just fine.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

My GOD PEOPLE WHY IS THIS THREAD STILL ACTIVE???

I personally plug the pipe or use my thumb on the flywheel, but HPI seems to be a bit confused.... Let me get this straight, it's NOT OK to pinch the line because it starves the engine and it runs lean, BUT it IS OK to let it run out all of the fuel (which likewise does the same...)... That part of the manual must have been written by one of the guys from the ST forum...
Old 01-17-2005, 11:31 AM
ooooo

I don't get what's the matter here....but that may because I'm a Plane/Boat guy. We set up our throttle so that we can start our engines at high idle using the trim. When we want to stop our engines...pull the trim back down...this closes the throttle and the engine dies instantly.\
Ok.....can your engines not be setup the same way so that it stops when the trim is pulled back?
Just a question.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:36 AM
stevblutu15

nope, when you pull back on the trigger, it engages the brake. At 40, 50,60 mph it would take a long time for the car to coast to a stop, therefore, they have a diskbrake that engages when you pull back.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:41 AM
ooooo

Hey quick reply... Kewl. Ok, I was thinking about the trim...not the trigger.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

The trim and trigger control the same channel.... when you go past the engine's idle point the brakes engage. Why on earth would you want the engine to die every time you need to slow the truck a bit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.