Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Hitec 645

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 08:36 PM
parris001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec 645

Okay. Today I made the big plunge and plunked down $42.85 plus tax for this great Hitec 645 servo everybody said I need for the steering on my Savage. I installed it on my truck and immediately saw that the stock servo saver wasn't gonna work with my new servo. Well, I was pissed because I told the moron at the LHS what I wanted the servo for and I figured he should know that I'm gonna need a servo saver also. I went ahead and put on the servo arm that came with the new servo and got the truck buttoned up and ready to go. The new steering felt great and worked better than ever at low speeds. I hit the track and made a few warmup laps, started working the speeds up, and then it happened. I hung the chainlink fence at a pretty good speed and although I could still turn left, I lost the ability to turn right. I checked the truck out and ended up removing the servo. When I took the top off of the servo I found the problem: busted gearset. I was pissed! After all I'd heard about how great and tough these servos are and then I tear my new one up in less than 5 minutes. I took it back to my LHS and told the old dope that it never worked right, right out of the box. He checked it and sure enough, it only worked in one direction. I told him I didn't appreciate him selling me a servo that wouldn't work with my servo saver and he just acted dumb (maybe he wasn't acting) and gave me my money back. I came home and hit eBay and for less that what I paid this dolt I got a humppack and a high torque Futaba servo that will work with my servo saver.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:56 PM
rscharp

Default RE: Hitec 645

You destroyed that servo because you didnt use a servo saver. What you bolted onto it was an arm linkage, not a servo saver. These servos are tough, but can't withstand a plus 10 pound truck smacking into something. They need that spring in the servo saver to save the gears that you tore up. The correct servo saver can be found in your spare parts bag. It has a "24" on the back of it. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDLC8&P=ML]This thing has what you are lookin for, the round part that has the teeth on it to go onto your servo.[/link] When you get your new servo in from the bay, make sure you use this part so you dont strip it out again.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:41 PM
brokenstuff

i had my hitec 645 on my truggy for 6 months hit curbs walls trees car tires even a small dog once and never damaged my servo
Old 01-26-2005, 12:00 AM
rscharp

ORIGINAL: brokenstuff

i had my hitec 645 on my truggy for 6 months hit curbs walls trees car tires even a small dog once and never damaged my servo
Because you used the servo saver I'm assuming. They are included with your kit for a reason.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:06 AM
brokenstuff

nope regular old servo arm

call me mr lucky i guess
Old 01-26-2005, 02:57 AM
Richie-EB4

ORIGINAL: parris001

Okay. Today I made the big plunge and plunked down $42.85 plus tax for this great Hitec 645 servo everybody said I need for the steering on my Savage. I installed it on my truck and immediately saw that the stock servo saver wasn't gonna work with my new servo. Well, I was pissed because I told the moron at the LHS what I wanted the servo for and I figured he should know that I'm gonna need a servo saver also. I went ahead and put on the servo arm that came with the new servo and got the truck buttoned up and ready to go. The new steering felt great and worked better than ever at low speeds. I hit the track and made a few warmup laps, started working the speeds up, and then it happened. I hung the chainlink fence at a pretty good speed and although I could still turn left, I lost the ability to turn right. I checked the truck out and ended up removing the servo. When I took the top off of the servo I found the problem: busted gearset. I was pissed! After all I'd heard about how great and tough these servos are and then I tear my new one up in less than 5 minutes. I took it back to my LHS and told the old dope that it never worked right, right out of the box. He checked it and sure enough, it only worked in one direction. I told him I didn't appreciate him selling me a servo that wouldn't work with my servo saver and he just acted dumb (maybe he wasn't acting) and gave me my money back. I came home and hit eBay and for less that what I paid this dolt I got a humppack and a high torque Futaba servo that will work with my servo saver.
If you read the forums you will know that the savage 21 does NOT have the cam style steering post and does not then have a servo saver...............for the best fix IMO you should up-grade the steering assembley and then you can run with any arm on the servo.

Hope this helps
Old 01-26-2005, 05:40 AM
parris001

There wasn't a servo saver in the kit. Trust me, I'd have used one if it was available. And I don't have any extra parts with my truck, I bought it used
Old 01-26-2005, 09:42 AM
stevblutu15

Although it is a 10 plus pound truck, you must have hit that fence hard to strip those gears. Metal Gears in a servo really are not taht easy to strip, like plastic. But if a servo turns left, but not right, there had to be something else wrong, because stripped gears would not allow any movement in the servo correct? However i think it is still your fault for not using the servo saver. I myself have also had bad hobby shop experiences, so i know what you mean.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:19 PM
customsavage.26
My Feedback: (-2)

hey parris011, thats exactly what happen to my 645 i bought it for $40 plus tax and came out splay with it for 15 minutes and the metal gears busted on me. I went back to the lhs and asked the old man to refund my money, he said to me that he don't care if i bought it 2 minutes or 10 minutes ago he is not going to refund my money and he tried to sale me a new set of gears for $20 plus tax. i walked out the door and i have never come back to that lhs again.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:15 PM
sledmanass
My Feedback: (2)

I have had this servo and crashed into a few things and i never have had any problems with it, its the best servo i bought in my life.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:54 PM
geo8498

The servo saver that comes with the Savage is an integral part of the arm, if I am not mistaken. It should also have different inserts for the brand of servo you're using. I'm not certain of that, since it's been a while. Soon after I built my SS, I ordered an Ofna linkage set to replace the stock servo saver anyway. I also had a Kimbrough on there for a little while too.

I think the 645 is infact a good servo, but they are not indestructible. When I first got my 1/8 buggy, I destroyed a 625 and 2 645 servos before I learned that I shouldn't be bashing into curbs and through snow and puddles. The last 645 I bought is over a year old and still in my Savage. Doesn't HiTec have a good replacement warranty anyway?
Old 01-27-2005, 12:58 AM
brokenstuff

i never learned not to drive through puddles or bash into curbs and tree's my 645 which i bought used from a racer at the local track is still going strong it was on my truggy now its on my savage as well as the hs 311 when i go to replace the throttle servo i will buy a hitec and when i go to buy new servos for my truggy i will buy hitecs

hitec's are the best servo's i have ever bought!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 06:16 AM
parris001

ORIGINAL: stevblutu15

Although it is a 10 plus pound truck, you must have hit that fence hard to strip those gears. Metal Gears in a servo really are not taht easy to strip, like plastic. But if a servo turns left, but not right, there had to be something else wrong, because stripped gears would not allow any movement in the servo correct? However i think it is still your fault for not using the servo saver. I myself have also had bad hobby shop experiences, so i know what you mean.
It would only turn one direction because the broke teeth were being held to the gear with the factory grease, not allowing movement in that direction. And I'll admit that maybe I shouldn't have used the servo without the servo saver, but after all I've heard about how great these 645s are I was surprised at how easily I broke it. No, I was amazed at how easily I broke it. It's like the gears in there were made out of balsawood instead of metal.

Oh, and the guy at the LHS told me that this servo had all STEEL gears. Well, they're a mix aluminum, maybe a steel one in there somewhere, but the gear that rides on the motor (the one I always strip on a plastic gearset) is still just plastic!?! What's up with that? You spend all that money for a servo that everybody brags about having metal gears and they put a plastic one in there. What good does that do?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:07 PM
brokenstuff

i think you got a bad one i dunno about the plastic gear causeive never had a problem with mine to have to take it apart
Old 01-27-2005, 02:21 PM
mziadeh
My Feedback: (1)

I've had my 645mg now for about a month and I run my truck pretty hard. I also have the three 645mg's in my 3D airplane (elevator, rudder, and ailerons) which have been in there for over six months now. None of which have servo savers on them and flying 3D is very demanding on the servos. The kit should have had extra servo horns so you can use the stock servo saver which is what I did and have yet to run into an issue. You can't beat Hitec servos, they are the best value for the money.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:10 PM
rscharp

ORIGINAL: mziadeh

snip...None of which have servo savers on them and flying 3D is very demanding on the servos.
Ok, but your not crashing a 10 plus pound object into the servo in the opposite direction of the servo movement. Slamming into a curb or fence while steering will destroy a servo, metal, plastic, titanium, whatever. These teeth on the gears are millimeters thick, not really strong enough by itself to withstand an impact like that. Flying does put a beating on the servos, but they do not require savers because they are not slammed to go in the opposite direction when the user is holding them to go the other.

Also on a side note... there are no plastic gears in a 645. There is aluminum and brass.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:38 PM
brokenstuff

i have however crashed a 10 pound plus truck into a curb while steering the other way and my 645 was fine

i still think he got a bad one its bound to happen
Old 01-27-2005, 06:40 PM
neil.jb

ORIGINAL: parris001

ORIGINAL: stevblutu15

It would only turn one direction because the broke teeth were being held to the gear with the factory grease, not allowing movement in that direction. And I'll admit that maybe I shouldn't have used the servo without the servo saver, but after all I've heard about how great these 645s are I was surprised at how easily I broke it. No, I was amazed at how easily I broke it. It's like the gears in there were made out of balsawood instead of metal.

Oh, and the guy at the LHS told me that this servo had all STEEL gears. Well, they're a mix aluminum, maybe a steel one in there somewhere, but the gear that rides on the motor (the one I always strip on a plastic gearset) is still just plastic!?! What's up with that? You spend all that money for a servo that everybody brags about having metal gears and they put a plastic one in there. What good does that do?

i think i know your problem, your an idiot who shouldnt be allowed to own an R/C,

what the hell do you expect running a servo without a SERVO SAVER (now i know you may find it hard to belive but there is a clue in the name)
Old 01-27-2005, 07:00 PM
mziadeh
My Feedback: (1)

For the record, I HAVE hit a boulder at a 45 degree angle and a WOT (Wide Open Throttle for those who don't know) and only suffered a broken A-Arm. No damage to the servo because Servo Savers are there for a reason, and if you don't run one then that's your problem. And if you don't think that 3D flying isn't hard on a servo, then you should take a look at what's left of the 4 planes I've lost to the gears in servo for the elevator or rudder stripping or breaking completly.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:15 PM
PhatMuffin518

Parris im assuming since youre from franklin Tn that youre lhs is hobby town is cool springs. The guys there are not idiots and are in fact very helpful and knowledgeable about R/C. I agree you should probably have used a servo saver, especially on a servo that cost that much. Its just a mistake you'll learn from and teach us not to make
Old 01-28-2005, 01:52 AM
EG1

Actually there is 1 plastic gear in those servos, its smart because it creates a weak link to save the rest of the servo.

Your a member on these forums so I say your just as much to blame as the lhs worker. Didn't you do any research on here about your Savage? The servo saver that comes w/ the savage is junk you need to pay the 20 bucks for a quality one. Ignorance is bliss...
Old 01-28-2005, 05:43 AM
parris001

ORIGINAL: PhatMuffin518

Parris im assuming since youre from franklin Tn that youre lhs is hobby town is cool springs. The guys there are not idiots and are in fact very helpful and knowledgeable about R/C. I agree you should probably have used a servo saver, especially on a servo that cost that much. Its just a mistake you'll learn from and teach us not to make
Who said I bought the servo from Bobby at my local HobbyTown USA? I didn't. I happen to work in Whites Creek and there's a thief there that has a little shop and I bought it from him.

Several posts back someone said that the 645 has all metal gears. Well, the one I took back didn't. The gear that ran against the motor was plastic. I know that for a fact. I took it apart (after I tore it up) and looked in there. Why the "heck" would you mix a metal gearset and a plastic gearset? And I wouldn't be surprised if the guy that runs this LHS might not have took this servo apart and pieced together a gearset out of junk he had laying around. He's that kinda guy. He buys junk off of eBay and then puts it in his display and sells it as new.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Dave33
My Feedback: (2)

And I wouldn't be surprised if the guy that runs this LHS might not have took this servo apart and pieced together a gearset out of junk he had laying around. He's that kinda guy. He buys junk off of ebay and then puts it in his display and sells it as new.
If you know he's doing this than why are you buying from him. You really don't have anything to complain about. Buy a good servo saver and you won't have any problems.