Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Coverting a Savage to Electric ???

Old 03-07-2005, 09:49 PM
rustlemauser
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coverting a Savage to Electric ???

Yes, I'm ready for the nitro bashers' hate mail, cause I want to convert my Savage SS to dual brushless motors. Has anyone ever done this before? I'm going to have a mount made to secure an Emaxx motor plate in back of the spur. Think I'm crazy??? We'll see...
Old 03-08-2005, 10:11 AM
emu

Default RE: Coverting a Savage to Electric ???

Did you try the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/searchpro.asp?phrase=Savage+Electric&author=&forumid=250&topicreply=combined&message=both&timeframe=%3E&timefilter=0&language=single&top=500&criteria=AND&minRank=0&sortMethod=d&submitbutton=+OK+]search[/link] button.

-emu
Old 03-08-2005, 04:38 PM
bashking

Look the whole point of having a savage is the NOISE when you thrash it. Silent movies never hit the big time and IMO a silent savage is even worse. Why not save time and money and get a Colari .30.

From a Nitro basher
Old 03-08-2005, 04:40 PM
stevblutu15

in my opinion, a brushless savage can haul *****, however whether dealing with tuning an eninge, or dealing with batteries, i choose the engine. Batteries are the only thing i have against electrics they're such a pain
Old 03-08-2005, 04:55 PM
RabidRacer

rc boyz had a conversion for brushless savage. its like 170 bucks
Old 03-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Vortec_Rat

Looks pretty easy. Here's the pic from rcboys. Looks like a really neat conversion. Extra weight from the batts though. Maybe do all cf chassis and plastic to balance the weight. Hell, I'm giving myself ideas!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62920.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	241064  
Old 03-09-2005, 04:39 PM
RabidRacer

there also is a rippsaw e-savage conversion that uses emaxx tranny and moter. its preaty cool but not my taste in rc style
Old 03-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Smokin240sx

[&:]why?[&:]I'm confused why would you want to convert a savage into electric
Old 03-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Rccarfreak33

good luck rustlemauser just out of curiosity what type of bl motors were you planning to run in your e-savage?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Vortec_Rat

Now that money's tight I could see a reason. Nitro costs around $30 for a gallon of MH, glow plugs costs between $2 and $7 each. With my truck, I can go through half to three quarters of a gallon in a few hours bashing and I have to replace the plug before every session. It doesn't cost much to charge some batts and go running. I've been running my x-mod around the house for $0 just waiting for the snow to melt. Besides, it's different. Not many people have an electric savage. I saw an e-maxx race truck a while back and it was wild to see it running the track without any noise. That guy got a good fifteen or twenty minutes from a charge and had a pile of batt packs on deck.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:44 AM
electrogoneglow

So your gonna try to make a HPI E-MAX[]

Well to each his own I guess

But at the same time I have to give it up for electros, I've been running them for about 15 years, and seen a lot of models come and go, and the technology has advanced tremendously brushed and brushless alike.

Before I bought my Savvy I ran an Associated RC10T4 with brushless conversion (the latest of my electros) and it ran with my friends stock out of the box Nitro Rustler, especially on the tight tracks, then again I've been driving RC for 14 years longer than him so some of that was experiance, but they ran together in the straights.

only thing about electros is that even with 3300MAh batteries after about 10 to 12 mins. of hard track running the power starts to taper off where nitro runs at the same power output level untill it runs out of fuel, thats why you will never see the 2 race together in a sponsored race.

Jason.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:34 PM
tndiverdown

I just ordered a Savage SS 4.6. I'm going to part out all the nitro junk and tranny then drop in a twin force tranny and a feigao 10L/Warrior combo. It will be ultra sweet. It will look like it was susposed to be electric all along - not like most of the hacked up conversions I have seen with exception to the ripsaw. It will probably be faster than nitro and definetly quicker.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:56 PM
bashking

"It will probably be faster than nitro and definetly quicker. "

???????????????????
Old 03-31-2005, 02:57 PM
tndiverdown

Fast as in top speed and quick as in off the line acceleration.. Do I have to spell it out.....
Old 03-31-2005, 03:09 PM
bashking

It looks like it yes. Maybe you were talking in American because in English quick means the same thing as fast (almost) Quicks literal meaning "to do something fast"

I wasnt trying to make fun of you just couldn't quite understand what you meant, as for the electric savage i dont doubt that you can make one or that there is a possibility of it having more top end speed or acceleration but i would like to see a video confirming this expecially if the nitro savage has had the same amout of hopup money spent on it as your electrics and batteries are gonna cost

As i said i eagerly await the video
Old 03-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Super Corsair

ORIGINAL: rustlemauser

Has anyone ever done this before? I'm going to have a mount made to secure an Emaxx motor plate in back of the spur. Think I'm crazy??? We'll see...

Here you go.
http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic7580.html and http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic15587.html+electric

Old 03-31-2005, 03:29 PM
tndiverdown

ORIGINAL: bashking

It looks like it yes. Maybe you were talking in American because in English quick means the same thing as fast (almost) Quicks literal meaning "to do something fast"

I wasnt trying to make fun of you just couldn't quite understand what you meant, as for the electric savage i dont doubt that you can make one or that there is a possibility of it having more top end speed or acceleration but i would like to see a video confirming this expecially if the nitro savage has had the same amout of hopup money spent on it as your electrics and batteries are gonna cost

As i said i eagerly await the video
No problem. To us yanks, quick and fast are two different terms in car speak. I'll definetly get a vid going and will take lots of pictures. I had a vid of my brushless twin force on rcpics.net, but it was deleted. I suppose all the hits were using up too much bandwidth since it was over 15MB in size.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:32 PM
bashking

Nice one. Keep us updated
Old 04-03-2005, 12:06 AM
rustlemauser
My Feedback: (20)

I just posted pics of my electric Savage on a new thread in this forum, but here they are anyway!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23564.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	253180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89396.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	253181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv52993.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	253182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18882.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	253183  
Old 04-11-2005, 10:31 AM
gizmo200118

ORIGINAL: BL_Force

I just ordered a Savage SS 4.6. I'm going to part out all the nitro junk and tranny then drop in a twin force tranny and a feigao 10L/Warrior combo. It will be ultra sweet. It will look like it was susposed to be electric all along - not like most of the hacked up conversions I have seen with exception to the ripsaw. It will probably be faster than nitro and definetly quicker.
Hey can I have all of that "nitro junk" I will pay for shipping!

seriously what are you going to do with it?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:36 AM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Lets see some video when you are done!