Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Aluminum Gears???

Old 03-27-2005, 01:25 PM
Robsimprza00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Gears???

I was out driving my savage when the engine started to revv. I saw that the big gear was spinning but not the metal clutch inside it, After fixing that issue and purchasing a new clutch pad i drove it today. It seems that the nut that holds the big gear to the metal clutch housing, it keeps digging into the gear, i think its cause the gear heats up and it just spinns, SO whenever i tighten the gear = the more the nut aand screw digs into the gear. Should i buy a metal 49tooth gear???
Old 03-27-2005, 06:42 PM
bashking

Default RE: Aluminum Gears???

There should be a spring between the nut and the spur gear. Have you missed this part out?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:35 PM
cincyroughneck

I have had the same problem with my SS 4.6. I have melted 2 spur gears. I took the nut all the way in and backed off like the instructions stated in the manual. Then I learned to back off less about an 1/8 of a turn here on this site. It worked for about a week and I really smoked this last one. Plastic was melted to the metal disk this time.. I would like to know too if a metal spur gear would do better. And what will happen if you tighten down the retaining nut all the way and left it???? Would this smoke the tranny???
Old 03-28-2005, 07:44 AM
rockinmindless

i was having that problem alot then i bought the robinson racing steel spur/clutch bell combo and its great. i did chip the first one up, but that was because my engine plate was loose. so i sent it in and they sent me a new one. i got the spur/clutch at my lhs for $43. they are not indestructble, so make sure you get it meshed good.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

If you run your spur all the way tight, you run the risk of bending transmission shafts. It is only a risk and it has not happened to me.

I run a SH.28 and 1/8 turn backoff (Have tried running all the way tight for several tanks) and have never smoked a spur. I even have Aluminum clutch shoes. Are you sure that your mesh is set properly?

If it is, check the slipper pad and the aluminum plate that it contacts for any foreign material (Maybe some grease, dust, oil, etc.) Spray them both clean with carb cleaner or polish them up a little with a mild grit sandpaper.

Make sure that the metal ring in that equation has 2 good nubs to sit on and that it is on those nubs when assembling.

A metal gear will only change the material, not the problem. It may not melt, but if the heat is still there, the trans bearings may be getting cooked.

Try to identify the exact cause of the problem. Take the slipper clutch assembly apart and inspect each component looking for anything out of place. Is the slipper pad within the grooves? Is there only 1 slipper pad (I've heard of this happening when there were 2 slipper pads).
Old 03-28-2005, 04:58 PM
pjk91

ORIGINAL: Nitronutt
1. Are you sure that your mesh is set properly?

2. If it is, check the slipper pad and the aluminum plate that it contacts for any foreign material (Maybe some grease, dust, oil, etc.)

3. Make sure that the metal ring in that equation has 2 good nubs to sit on and that it is on those nubs when assembling.

4. A metal gear will only change the material, not the problem. It may not melt, but if the heat is still there, the trans bearings may be getting cooked.

5. Try to identify the exact cause of the problem. Take the slipper clutch assembly apart and inspect each component looking for anything out of place. Is the slipper pad within the grooves? Is there only 1 slipper pad (I've heard of this happening when there were 2 slipper pads).
1. Mesh is set nearly perfect. Ran a piece of paper between the gears to set the spacing.
2. Will check plate out
3. Will check THis too...
4. Good info. I think I'll just get a plastic gear then, until we definitely figure out what is going on here.
5. What do you mean by slipper pad?

I'm Rob's brother btw