Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Revo OR Savage?

Old 07-02-2005, 06:25 PM
RCKid1992

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo OR Savage?

I am just wondering if there is ne one here if they have both the savage and the revo and if they could tell me which one is better unbiasly to the savage or revo. oh btw an savage 4.6, ss or other
Old 07-02-2005, 09:05 PM
miltmo

Default RE: Revo OR Savage?

I had both. I really liked the REVO but the 2.5R wouldn't hold a tune here in 90 degree/% humidity Georgia. When it was tuned properly it was awesome. Fast...handles great...very good design. I really should have kept it and put a different motor in.

I got my Savage25 and couldn't be happier. I haven't touched my adjustment needles in the last 4 tanks of fuel. It starts up right away and will go anywhere. I abused the bejeebers out of it today going over a 4 foot dirt mound and crashed it many times. I have yet to break anything. Very tough.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2005, 02:01 AM
jeepsavage

Bashing----Savage

Racing----Revo
Old 07-03-2005, 08:48 AM
RCKid1992

yes thanks guys that clears things up a bit
Old 07-03-2005, 12:49 PM
rustler 1

well, my friends has a .23 revo and until he put that motor in, it was a crappy truck.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:35 PM
RCKid1992

LOL oh ya a crappy truck sure
Old 07-04-2005, 12:23 PM
rustler 1

IF IT WASNT FOR THE .23 ENGINE THEN HIS TRUCK WOULD HAVE GOT RAN OVER BY MY SAVAGE ON THE TRACK ALL THE TIME. THATS WHAT HAPPENDED, AFTER A JUMP ID LAND ON HIM AND CRASH INTO HIM BECAUSE I COULDNT HIT THOSE CORNERS BUT I COULD JUMP AND STUFF BUT O MAN THE STRAIGHT AWAYS WERE FUN BECAUSE HIS TRUCK GOT HIT BY A FEW BUGGYS AND THEN ME. I GUESS ALL I AM TRYIN TO SAY IS THAT THE .23 ENGINE IS NEEDED OR A BIGGER ENGINE WITH THE BIG BLOCK KIT.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:31 PM
alvinm

You could say the savage needs a bigger engine too
Old 05-31-2008, 11:57 AM
munster truck

So the Revo is better for racing. Is the 3.3 engine harder to tune than the Savage 4.6?

Which is more fun to jump?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:09 PM
twomanytoys

The savage can take some huge jumps. Both trucks can jump very well. The revo will outhandle the savage stock for stock but if you get a set of stretched adn lowered tvp's teh savage handles great.

The 3.3 engine has lots of power for a small block and moves teh revo around very well but the 3.3 is mechanicly weak. They use a 2.5 crank and rod in the 3.3 and have been known to fail alot. The F4.6 found in the X is kinda hard to tune but a hella lot of power and when tuned right it flat out screams. The K4.6 found in the X SS kit is alot easier to tune but not near as fast as the F4.6. My son has the X with the F4.6 and I have teh X SS with the F4.6. I get him off the line every time but about 50-75 yards he passes me real easy and he is running more on the rich side while Im more on the lean side to squeeze every last bit of power out of the K4.6. I really like the F4.6 and once tuned it keeps a tune really well.

The 3.3 is kinda hard to tune but also keeps tune well once tuned. If you want something that handles like a revo but is a great basher like teh savage then go with the LST2. I did look at the new revo and it looked very nice but I will never buy a traxxas truck again.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:45 PM
munster truck

Thanks for the reply. So the Savage is tough to keep tuned.

I just liked the idea behind the Revoshock towers not braking as opposed to a T-Maxx type truck with the 2 shocks to each wheel.

However, I like the 1/8 scale of the Savage.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Medrivfast

I have both the Revo 3.3 and the Savage XL. 2 completly different trucks. The Savage is great on jumping and the 5.9 in it is a beast. It also keeps it's tune. The Revo's motor is junk. I always have to re-tune it whenever i take it out. I also have a Revo with an OS18TM in it and i never need to touch the needles to tune it. If your bashing than just go for the Savage. I'm done with Traxxas products!!!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 01:03 PM
munster truck

So the Savage is the best basher for just running in the backyard on grass as opposed to the Revo?
My ideal truck would be large enough to run in the grass but not too much tinkering.
Always having to adjust it or not getting it started is a pain.
I was also thinking about the E-Maxx because of the waterproof parts. It rains a lot here.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Mspeed

I have a savage x and a revo 3.3. If your considering the E-maxx it will be a step down in top speed plus you will lose the realizm. But the electric are easier to maintain and like you said the e maxx can go through water. I would recommend you go to a hobby store and look at the trucks and ask questions. Go visit different forums about the trucks your looking at and ask questions. I ended up with both trucks cause the first one was not the right choice for me.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:34 PM
munster truck

MSpeed,
You said that the first truck wasn't for you...which one was that...the Revo or the Savage?
Do you race your trucks or just backyard bash them?
Old 05-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Clymer122693

The revo's engine is not junk. Traxxas has updated the 3.3's bearings and head,most of the people to blow up the 3.3 are noobs or just dont know how to tune. If the 3.3's were junk then why does almost all of the revo racers run 3.3's? I'll take my 3.3 with an 11k carb over my 18tm any day,the 3.3 has a smoother power band and a little bit more top end.

The Savage x (or x ss) isn't a true 1/8th. It's just like the Revo it's inbetween 1/10th and 1/8th.

Here you can see the Revo has more ground clearence and can be set up about 1in taller then the savage.

Both trucks at shafts level

As you can see the Savage has WAYY more HCG. You can't go wrong with either truck. If you plan to race sometime I reccomend the revo just so the option is there. Also see what your lhs carries more parts for,my lhs carries parts for Traxxas and HPI thus I own both and I race my Revo so it was a pita to be changing setups every weekend from racing to bashing and waisiting diff and shock fluids etc before they were even used,so I got a Savage X SS for bashing.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Mspeed

I just bash them and my first truck was the savage, alot of people are going to be upset with that on this forum, but I am not loyal to any company, I buy what I like according to how it functions and holds up. I can give you details on my experience but in the end they are both good trucks, just a few things swayed me to like the revo better. In the beginning the savage was extremely fun, just got stick of a few things and decided to try something else and did alot of research this time and ended up likeing the revo more.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Mspeed

Since clymer has already supported the 3.3, I guess I can tell you my experience with it. I have owned four 3.3's in my time, I am going to be breaking in a 5th one this next week. I have owned other nitro motors and do see the difference in quality, but for the price I have been happy with the 3.3's and what they have to offer. Sure they are not top of the line and there are better motors, but for the money I have gotten alot of fun and use out of them. I was afraid to say my experience with them cause this is a HPI forum and most will just say I dont know what I am talking about. I like the idea of having a lighter truck like the revo, and still having the option of running a small block or bigblock. The savage is heavy and yes it looks stronger bigger and needs to have a big block to really move its weigtht. I got sick of the gas guzzling bligblocks for a while and just went back to my 3.3 in my revo with buku rear exhaust(works for me). The savage carries more weight and applys more force on impact so it needs the extra strength. I got the savage cause everyone said it was the better basher and would be stronger. After finially purchasing the revo, I was surprised how strong it really was, I wasnt having some of the problems I hated on my savage, but traded a few different ones that I have fixed on my revo. Over all they are both good trucks and I have had some hard bashing with both.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:09 PM
munster truck

So it sounds like in the long run, the Revo is better. It looks like it can be setup to have the stance of a monster truck. It may even be more reliable in terms of starting and tuning?

However, in all the videos I see of the Savage-the thing seems to respond well to the basher.
However, I have had a similar truck- T-Maxx when they first came out and broke shock towers and shafts pretty quickly. I like monster trucks though so hopefully a Revo can be configured for a monster truck look. I think if I went with the Revo I would buy the Grave Digger body to make it look more monster "truckish".
Old 05-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Vigilante212

ORIGINAL: jeepsavage

BashingSavage

RacingRevo

This thread should have been over with after this quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Mspeed

If I had to decide between a T-maxx and a Savage, I would take the Savage cause of all the problems in the design of the T-maxx. The T-maxx has giving the revo a bad name in my opinion. The revo has a much better design over the T-maxx and holds up alot more in durability and handling. I would not say the Revo is a better truck than the Savage, its just what you like better. For me I like the Revo better for bashing and racing. Its all opinion, no matter what truck you buy you will have problems, just in different ways. The savage and revo have less and perform better than some of the others. I traded my savage problems for the revo issues and fixed them, then never looked back. Probably a better idea to find out what the problems are on each then that might help you decide which to get. I liked the adjustabliity of the revo out of the box. You can set it up with the included long travel rockers and springs to make it a true monster or set it back to a race track performer.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:51 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I had a Revo, and have two Savages (one is really just a box of parts right now, but you know what I mean)

The Revo...I didn't care for the 2.5R in it one bit. But a big block kit with a decent high RPM engine really wakes the truck up. install RPM arms on all 4 corners the first time you break a suspension arm, because if you break one, you'll break em all.

The Savage...apart from adding aluminum clutch shoes and a THS pipe...I ran mine bone stock for a long time, and it is a GREAT truck.

MY opinion...the Savage is just more fun to drive. It's more truckish to drive, jumps a bit better, and is about as quick stock vs stock. the Revo has more top end, but IMO not enough to make a hill of beans of difference.

Now put the same big block in both trucks (IE XTM .247 Pro) and that levels the playing field, but still improves both trucks greatly.

Either one, I wouldn't recommend running the stock radio for long. When you upgrade you'll understand. Ditto the servos.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:10 PM
beer=food
Banned

Well l have both, l recon you should post this in the traxxas section too.
Savages are tough, thats about it.
Revos are pretty tough also , anyone who says they aint for bashing, LOL needs bashing !
l preffer my revo over my savage, both hold a good tune IF run-in properly, both are easy to tune, theres nothing in it there.
A revo will absolutely out handle a savage in any terrain, it will be capable of travelling over that terrain faster with control than a savage. Is why there so good at racing, a revo , in my field experience on a concrete skate bowl, will break less parts in dead stop flat landings on cement.Handles jumps much better, is way better balanced, and probably should be a bird except they forgot to put wings on it !
And to that spinna who went CAP mad saying the revo was crap until he put a larger motor in it, LEARN TO TUNE , revo's pop wheelies with TRX motors.

Anyways, both tune good, hold a tune, are tough, big machines, they are both a quallity brand, you really cant go wrong either way you jump.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Mspeed

I had a simliar experience with my savage landing on the roof on hard surfaces. Broke that weak alum. motor plate like nothing everytime. I added a roll hoop that protected only the motor(not a fan of the cages, but had to do something)and it just bent that in after a couple landings. Found out later the power of my axial .32 was just too much for the plate and cracked it upon just acceleration. My revo tended to handle the hits on the motor better with out breaking things; however, it doesnt have the give away plate as a failsafe so if you hit really hard your going to break the engine mount on it. I ended up putting a wing on my revo and it protects the mount and motor enough for me to be satisfied. The lighter weight really seems to make a difference on the revo, in terms of surviving some of those motor hits. Didnt have the brake issues like on the savage or the slipper issues or the steering issues. Material traxxas uses on their brakes and slipper pads and just less sloppy steering even after both trucks have simlar high torque steering servos.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:41 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: beer=food
revo's pop wheelies with TRX motors.
and my 60cc 3 wheeler could pull wheelies when i was 5. Doesn't mean it was fast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.