Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage run times?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 08:50 PM
moab_crawler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage run times?

I've heard alot of people saying that they can run there savage's for along time just add fuel when it gets low. But mine I can only get like around 1 tank in before the engine shuts off and i can't start it for like and hour. Is there something i need to do or is it just big talk i heard?
Old 10-15-2005, 09:14 PM
crop

Default RE: Savage run times?

that's not a big talk.most engines will probably have a hard time in restart due to the high tem after a period of running. what's the engine on your savage? if it were SH motor or other engine with an aluminium carburator, it won't start in a long time. aluminium carb sucks because it absorbs the heat from the engine. though it could keep itself cooled by the fuel and air when running, it vapors the fuel into it as soon as it reached the carb and that's why it can be hardly restarted when still hot. and for plastic ones it won't be too hard to restart as plastic doesnot transfer heat so much.
if your running an engine with plastic carb, look into the needle tune as well as the way you start the engine. it might be either that the engine overheated which cause it hard to start or you didnot open 1/4 throttle when pull the engine which could make it easier to start. and one more thing, don't try to restart the engine if it measures over 110-120 degree Celsius, allow it to cool down to below 40 or so.you can aslo spray some ethanol to cool it especially at the aluminium carb.in this way you can restart the engine very easily.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Stablock

ORIGINAL: crop

that's not a big talk.most engines will probably have a hard time in restart due to the high tem after a period of running. what's the engine on your savage? if it were SH motor or other engine with an aluminium carburator, it won't start in a long time. aluminium carb sucks because it absorbs the heat from the engine. though it could keep itself cooled by the fuel and air when running, it vapors the fuel into it as soon as it reached the carb and that's why it can be hardly restarted when still hot. and for plastic ones it won't be too hard to restart as plastic doesnot transfer heat so much.
if your running an engine with plastic carb, look into the needle tune as well as the way you start the engine. it might be either that the engine overheated which cause it hard to start or you didnot open 1/4 throttle when pull the engine which could make it easier to start. and one more thing, don't try to restart the engine if it measures over 110-120 degree Celsius, allow it to cool down to below 40 or so.you can aslo spray some ethanol to cool it especially at the aluminium carb.in this way you can restart the engine very easily.
That is one of the worse advise I've ever read! NEVER spray ANY type of liquid to cool your engine down!! Doing so may cause warping! PREVENTATIVE measures of not allowing it to over heat is far better then cooling it because it's overheated.

It sound as though you are running alittle too lean. Running lean means running hot because you are not providing enough lubricant to properly lube and protect the internal components. That, plus Savages tend to run leaner at half tank to empty. Add those together and you are over heating your engine when your tank runs out. It's very hard to start an over heated engine. Richen your high speed needle a bit and get those temps down. Also, if it's properly tuned, you can easily start it when it is at it's hottest temperature. Shouldn't be more then 275F (or 135C).
Old 10-15-2005, 11:19 PM
crop

perhaps i didn't make myself clear enough.it's true pouring liquid at the cooling head or engine body may cause long term damage either when the engine is still running overheated or spay immediately after the engine is shut down. but i said spay ,not pour, for with a spray can the average surface,rather than only a spot of the engine is cooled. also i emphasized SPRAYING at the ALUMINIUM CARB, that's what they do during race as an emergency aid for an overheated and hard to restart engine. to be more detailed, it's safe to do so when the engine is shut off for a while and the piston not at the top dead end. if i haven't made myself clear enough, that's because i'm too slow at typing English which is not my first language and that i'm trying to abbreviate my words.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:55 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Can you say crystallize piston sleeve! No way will I put any fluid on my engine weather it was my RC, motorcycle or car engine when hot and not running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If an engine is tuned properly it should start hot cold or what ever. I have no problem running my 4.6 out of fuel then filling it up and starting it right up with out waiting.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Stablock

ORIGINAL: 46u

Can you say crystallize piston sleeve! No way will I put any fluid on my engine weather it was my RC, motorcycle or car engine when hot and not running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If an engine is tuned properly it should start hot cold or what ever. I have no problem running my 4.6 out of fuel then filling it up and starting it right up with out waiting.
46u, you mentioned crystallize piston sleeve before. Can you explain that?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Geeza!

I also don't have any probs re-starting my Savages, when they're out of juice, i just fill up, prime, and that's it away we go!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:52 PM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Stablock

ORIGINAL: crop

That is one of the worse advise I've ever read! NEVER spray ANY type of liquid to cool your engine down!! Doing so may cause warping! PREVENTATIVE measures of not allowing it to over heat is far better then cooling it because it's overheated.

It sound as though you are running alittle too lean. Running lean means running hot because you are not providing enough lubricant to properly lube and protect the internal components. That, plus Savages tend to run leaner at half tank to empty. Add those together and you are over heating your engine when your tank runs out. It's very hard to start an over heated engine. Richen your high speed needle a bit and get those temps down. Also, if it's properly tuned, you can easily start it when it is at it's hottest temperature. Shouldn't be more then 275F (or 135C).
Thats everything in a nut shell, if the engine is running to lean when shut down it will not start for some time. I can run a gallon of fuel through my truck with out any starting/running problems, its all in the tuning, when you find the sweet spot, you should have no problems. by a temp gun of some sort and monitor the temps this will help you some, but unless racing I wouldnt recomend running more then 2 tanks in a row with out a cool down.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Stablock

ORIGINAL: 46u

Crystallize piston sleeve?????????? Does anyone know what he's talking about?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Starcraft-IX

I have run my savage for over an hour straight without shutting it off - just put more fuel in it when it was low.

As for crystalizing, cooling metal down too quickly will cause it to be brittle. Spraying any type of liquid (especially ethanol which cools even faster than water) on any metal part that is very hot will cause problems.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Stablock

ORIGINAL: Starcraft-IX

I have run my savage for over an hour straight without shutting it off - just put more fuel in it when it was low.

As for crystalizing, cooling metal down too quickly will cause it to be brittle. Spraying any type of liquid (especially ethanol which cools even faster than water) on any metal part that is very hot will cause problems.
Yeah brittle but he said Crystallize??? I don't think so.