Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

any good savage first start tips (problems)

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

any good savage first start tips (problems)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 10:09 PM
crazyotto
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any good savage first start tips (problems)

any piticular problems w savages on first start or at early age ??gonna get this started for my girlfriend soon its her truck but you know how it works its the gift that keeps on given....
Old 10-15-2005, 10:20 PM
SmashNBash

Default RE: any good savage first start tips (problems)

Loosen the glow plug 1/4 of a turn.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:10 PM
12Stones

After run oil to protect from dry starts you also can use wd40 just to prevent from premature ware.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:08 AM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Prepare yourself and hope she can drive. Keep us posted.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:23 PM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: SmashNBash

Should never half to do this unless the engine is hydro locked, but with a good prime job you should never hydro lock. First start up I always prime the engine just a tad cut the fuel off to the engine and give her a yank, in most case's you need to up the idle a little bit to get it running when new. If it starts and idles for a few seconds Ill open the fuel line and let it run for awhile, if it doesnt start I up the idle a bit until it does, I always adjust the low speed needle to get that one pull start up but it takes some practice to know what the engine is doing. Not sure if this is what you are asking but this is how I do it.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:44 AM
gerwen

ORIGINAL: adeoliver

ORIGINAL: SmashNBash

Should never half to do this unless the engine is hydro locked, but with a good prime job you should never hydro lock. First start up I always prime the engine just a tad cut the fuel off to the engine and give her a yank, in most case's you need to up the idle a little bit to get it running when new. If it starts and idles for a few seconds Ill open the fuel line and let it run for awhile, if it doesnt start I up the idle a bit until it does, I always adjust the low speed needle to get that one pull start up but it takes some practice to know what the engine is doing. Not sure if this is what you are asking but this is how I do it.
Loosening the plug is actually pretty good advice. I've heard of a few snapped pullstarts on the k4.6 even without a hydrolock. I know mine was darn tight at tdc. Plus someone new is more apt to flood on the prime and this will help with that.

Just make sure that before you loosen it, the area around it is clean. And be sure to tighten it up again after it is running.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:22 AM
RCDadChicago
My Feedback: (34)

My k4.6 fired right up the first day, it still fires up just as easy. I think its a great engine.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Buzzbait

I totally recommend cracking open the glow plug slightly, when first starting the engine during break-in. It makes it a lot easier to start.

I also recommend using something like an O.S. A3 glow plug for break-in, and throwing it away when break-in is over. Glow plugs take a wicked beating during break-in.

Overall, the S-25 engine is a piece of cake to break in. It’s a no-brainer. Much easier than a 4.6.

If it’s cold out where you are, cut the cuff off of a sock, and stick it over the cooling head, to help get the engine up to a good break-in temperature.

To help keep the truck clean during break-in, I attach a foot-long piece of hose to the tuned pipe, to keep the pipe from spitting raw fuel all over the truck. Just measure the inner diameter of your tuned pipe, and pick up a length of fuel hose from the nearest auto parts store, with the same inner diameter. This prevents a lot of sticky gooey mess during break-in.

Also, find yourself plenty of cardboard. Engine break-in is very messy. Unless you want oil all over your driveway, get a few sheets of cardboard to put under your truck and fuel hose.

And don’t be bothered by the power of the engine during the fist half gallon of nitro. The engine gets more and more powerful over the first gallon or two of fuel you run through it.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:27 PM
RCDadChicago
My Feedback: (34)

You have a 12" exhaust deflector?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Buzzbait

It's just a long rubber hose that I use for engine break-in, to keep the exhaust far away from the truck. I run it along the side of the truck and between the rear arms, to toss the exhaust out the back of the truck. It's not flexible enough for real running, but fine for break-in.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Starcraft-IX

In addition to after-run oil, 1/4 turn of the plug and the sock, I also heat it up with a hair dryer for the first several starts in the heat cycle break in. The heat really lessens the stress on the pull start and the connecting rod
Old 10-17-2005, 07:03 PM
crazyotto
My Feedback: (2)

hey guys so you know it is the 25 w roto starter , thanks so much for the ideas seems like you guys are real good people to learn from !!!