Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Half Tank Lean

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 08:41 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Half Tank Lean

I just ordered the New Era tank to fix the half tank lean issue with my Savage. I know a lot of you guys have done this fix. How hard is this to install and are there any pointers you can give me? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Dave33
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Half Tank Lean

Very easy to install. Make sure you use thread lock on all the screws.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:06 PM
alvinl

Thanks Dave33. I was hoping there were no gotchas with installing it, but sounds simple enough. Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:22 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just don't understand the whole "half tank lean" thing. []

Why is the New Era tank so much better than the stock Savage tank? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 11-22-2005, 09:28 PM
alvinl

From what I have read on numerous posts here, the problem with the stock tank is the shelf at the top of the tank. Honestly, I don't fully understand how it all works either. I just know that I suffer from the 'half tank lean' problem and the new era tank is reported to fix it. I think the shape of the Ofna tank that comes in the New Era kit provides a more consistent pressure in the tank.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:49 PM
icecreamslick

I have heard of the "full tank bog", too. Apparently when the tank is full, fuel will enter the line during left turns (I think that is right), so you need to loop the line towards the left side of the truck or something to avoid it. []

Who knows!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:31 PM
azzman

Theres always the "Header Tank Mod" that fixes the problem as well.....
Old 11-22-2005, 11:48 PM
skipstr

As I have 3 years now with the savage I have come to see it as the shape of the tank.. Its fat up top and then turns into a box half that size.. thearfore screwing up the pulsating presure.. every other normal shaped tank is great.. Thats one reason people do mid tanks.. Also when we bash we rip the stock tanks off and then bang the crap outta the tank gaurds.. One thing is that you need a tank gaurd with that tank.. Its out there even further I belive than the stock tank..

Old 11-23-2005, 12:32 AM
David236

Okay i'll try and shed a little light on this whole half tank lean issue.......It is normal for a nitro powered vehicle to lean out a little as the level in the tank drops and the engine temperature rises but it should not lean out excessively. If it does lean out excessively at half tank I have found that it usually means the Low Speed Needle is too rich and the High Speed Needle is too lean. I have found that alot of people basically tune their motor with the HSN only and what happens alot of times is they overlean the HSN to compensate for an overich LSN so basically the motor is getting a richer mixture at low speed and as you apply throttle the mixture leans out and burns the fuel off. But as the engine temperature rises and fuel level drops during the middle of your run when your running mostly high speeds your engine runs significantly leaner. If you lean out the Low Speed Needle some and richen the High Speed Needle it will greatly reduce the "half tank leaning effect" and your motor will perform better too.......TRY IT
Old 11-23-2005, 10:45 AM
icecreamslick

David236, I have been tuning exactly the way you are describing, so maybe that is why I have not really noticed or had problems with the half tank lean....thing.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Starcraft-IX

The half tank lean issue is real - and the majority opinion on the forums is that it can't be fixed by simply tuning the low end needle. The shelf does cause the surface that is being pressed upon by the pressure line to be cut in half and thus you start to run lean.

IMHO, if you aren't noticing it with the stock tank, then you aren't paying close enough attention. I've heard that the header tank has fixed it for some, but the Ofna tank mod is what finally did it for me. I do still run slightly leaner at the bottom of a tank (~10 degrees hotter), but way better than the 70+ degree swings I saw with the stock tank.

BTW, I run the ribbed pipe, and it makes the lean issue even more noticeable on the stock tank
Old 11-23-2005, 01:23 PM
savageman90
My Feedback: (12)

Its not fixable. All tanks do it. Smaller tanks are just less noticable. When the fuel reaches about half way, the pressure is less in the tank, which means less fuel flow in the fuel lines. You should be able to hear when it starts to get leaner, and/or see the temps rise a bit. You'll just have to get used to richening it up when it gets like that. Or you can just fill the tank half way, that way there wont be much of a difference.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Orlando69

I have always wondered why this has been happening with my truck and at least I now know that I am not the only person who "thinks" they are having this happen:-).

When I run my Genesis through the 1st 1/3-1/2 tank it seems like the engine is alittle rich and sluggish. Then after that, the engine response is instantaneous and the power is unbelievable. Don't get me wrong though,, the engine always has mega power but until it reaches that point in fuel tank level it seems like I have a supercharger installed on my engine. Engine temps. are always within spec too. I have never put much thought into it other than to think it has something to do with engine temperature,,, but after reading all your posts it makes more sense to me. I need to investigate further with my Genesis. Thnx "O"
Old 11-23-2005, 08:20 PM
alvinl

I was not aware the Genesis suffered from this problem. You describe my symptoms exactly. The only question I would ask is, if you run the tank till almost empty, then pull your Genesis in and refuel with the motor running, does your motor bog back down? Mine goes back to being bogged down pretty quickly. Then around 2/3 or 1/2 tank it runs like a bat out of hell. I have heard the Genesis takes a long time to warm up.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:24 PM
bagged97

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what I did after break-in. 1st: lowered LSN till the engine sputtered at idle. 2nd: adjusted idle set screw till idle dropped to normal (wheels not spinning, but motor still sputtering). 3rd: raised LSN to the point just after sputtering at idle stopped. 4th: Closed HSN till engine sputtered at WOT. 5th: Opened HSN till sputtering stopped at WOT and smoke was clearly visible. 6th: Opened HSN till temp could be maintained between 240-280. Now I'm not the type to pull WOT passes back and forth in the yard either. My throttle goes WO only in short bursts the way I drive. Maybe that's why my motor stays in tune and in temp. But by doing it this way I have not had to touch my adjustment screws in almost two month's of every day driving.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: azzman

Theres always the "Header Tank Mod" that fixes the problem as well.....
It's true, it has worked for some, vut it didn't for me, and it brings it's own headaches with it. But it does get +1 for keepoing the truck running when upside down.

ORIGINAL: savageman90

Its not fixable. All tanks do it. Smaller tanks are just less noticable. When the fuel reaches about half way, the pressure is less in the tank, which means less fuel flow in the fuel lines. You should be able to hear when it starts to get leaner, and/or see the temps rise a bit. You'll just have to get used to richening it up when it gets like that. Or you can just fill the tank half way, that way there wont be much of a difference.
It's true, all tanks do it some.... but the design of stock piece REALLY encourages it. There is a large variation in head pressure. As another user stated, I have seen 1st hand on a number of trucks that the ribbed pipe exaggerates the issue. It's design feeds much less pressure back to the fuel system. It also makes a good tune stutter lean from going WOT to idle at once.

I tried Uni-flow setup, 2nd tank mod (hayes 2oz header), sealing the engine and replacing the lines over and over. The New Era tank is truly a blessing. This tank, combined with a good pipe will give very consistent tuning; dramatically different than stock.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:07 AM
alvinl

Talk about fast service. I placed my order on Monday around 6:00 PM. USPS tried to deliver it today, but they want a signature so I will have to pick it up on Friday. Wish the package I ordered last Friday from Toyhaus that is being delivered FedEx would get delivered... New Era rocks! Great service!

And since when did the US Postal Service start providing faster delivery that UPS and Fedex?????
Old 11-24-2005, 01:50 AM
David236

I have a 4.6ss and I'm still using my stock tank and I had a significant half tank lean issue at first but after I leaned out the LSN and richened the HSN a bit the problem went away.........But the 4.6ss comes with a HPI aluminum pipe so that may have something to do with it too.......I have about 5 gallons through my 4.6 and so far I really like this engine. It is easy to tune, starts easily, and has more than adequate power. I bought this truck just to bash and attempt some insane jumps and so far I have been amazed at what this truck can do and how much of a punishment it can take.............
Old 11-24-2005, 01:54 AM
azzman

mmmmm....insane jumps......aaarrrggggggggg......
Old 11-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Orlando69

Hey again and HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!

My truck runs very well through the whole "half tank lean" process so I have become accustomed to the whole richer in the early part of the tank and supercharger on the later 1/3-1/2 tank. I know that as my tank is emptying, the engine is getting more powerful and more responsive. When I get to the last 1/8th tank of fuel I know (and see) the effects of this. I love it. But I would assume that you must have precise high speed needle and low speed needle adjustments to do this with each type of engine.

The engine is paired up with a CVEC pipe. Note: The engine has way too much power anyways (5hp). I run the center lock block and have the truck set up as a monster truck,, high and locked. Doing this though has it's problems. I run around with this REVO and we will jump a ramp at high speeds and drive around on-road and off-road with turns and such. When my fuel tank is in the last 1/2 tank, my engine is punishing my drivetrain, especially when I jump long and hold the throttle down. It is BAD BAD BAD for my truck and I try never to do this. If I do allow this to happen I will eventually break something in my drivetrain. If I run a open center differential this is not much of a problem. But I love the MT and that's how I have set up my Genesis.

Since this is a HPI area,,,, I was wondering how are those HPI's? They look awsome and have some awsome performance from what I've seen. I wish I had enough time to buy every nitro rc and put it together and mod it and drive it like it was meant to be drove[8D]. Someday,, LOL "O"
Old 11-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Mr. R0§E

cool i might get a savage cause' it one of the most duriblr trucks, but this was holing my back. now i know how to fix it.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Mr. R0§E

http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?part_id=1704 this one?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:41 PM
alvinl

That's the one. I am going to install mine today. They ship very quickly, but require a signature by the postman.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:00 PM
alvinl

QUESTION FOR THE GUYS WHO HAVE INSTALLED THIS MOD

Did you use some kind of sylicone or other sealant when you installed the nipples into the tank? I did not use a sealant for now but I did not know if that would cause an air leak later. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:25 PM
alvinl

Thought I would post an update since installing the New Era tank and mount. The installation is easy. The bracket installs in the same holes the old tank mount used. The results, my half tank lean problem is all but gone. I seen no more than a 10 degree difference from a full tank to a completely empty tank. I would recommend this mod to anyone still running the stock Savage tank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.