Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Spare parts to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 03:11 AM
SavMT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare parts to get?

I am getting a new Savage 25 Limited Edition and I am wondering what parts should I get spares of?

I've read on here some people suggest to have a spare clutch bell and glow plug. I will be running 40 series wheels/tires so I think I will upgrade to the 3 pc. Aluminum Clutch Shoe Set aswell to help. What are some other things I should keep spares of just incase or upgrade from stock right away? I wont be doing any serious bashing, but I would like to have the most reliable truck possible.

I dont know alot about Nitro Trucks and I'm still learning, if anyone has any general tips and advice on what I should look for when setting up and operating this truck it would be cool!
Old 12-15-2005, 03:40 AM
boydie1

Default RE: Spare parts to get?

Get a couple of spare spur gears, a spare glow plug is always handy and maybe a spare fuel tank for those messy landings whilst learing to jump
Old 12-15-2005, 04:56 AM
SavMT

What spur gears exactly? Metal or Plastic? I saw on the HPI website there's a few different ones, what's best for the Limited Edition?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:35 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: SavMT

I am getting a new Savage 25 Limited Edition and I am wondering what parts should I get spares of?

I've read on here some people suggest to have a spare clutch bell and glow plug. I will be running 40 series wheels/tires so I think I will upgrade to the 3 pc. Aluminum Clutch Shoe Set aswell to help. What are some other things I should keep spares of just incase or upgrade from stock right away? I wont be doing any serious bashing, but I would like to have the most reliable truck possible.

I dont know alot about Nitro Trucks and I'm still learning, if anyone has any general tips and advice on what I should look for when setting up and operating this truck it would be cool!

You don't need a spare clutchbell, I have never had, or heard of one failing. Here is what I carry for spares: A 49, and 52T spur, a pair of upper control arms, a glow plug, some misc Savage machine screws, and a spare shock. You don't have to have all this stuff, but this is stuff that will break when you really start to pound the pi$$ out of a Savage jumping, and bashing with other Savages.

Old 12-15-2005, 06:56 AM
nd_s

i would just get spare spur gears for now, i prefer to see what breaks then get something better to fix it.
But thats your call
Old 12-15-2005, 07:00 AM
DaveG55

I pretty much second Polar Bus.
Spare glow plugs - a must for any nitro vehicle.
Spare shocks - 1 or 2 or enough parts to rebuild a couple.
Extra screws
I also keep a couple of spare tie rods, mine were popping off for a while.
Spare axel nuts, hexes & pins.
Extra battries for the tx, rx and roto start.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: nd_s

i would just get spare spur gears for now, i prefer to see what breaks then get something better to fix it.
But thats your call
If you mean upgrade a component that failed to an aluminum replacement, all you are doing is passing impact stress to a neighboring plastic component causing that piece to break. I am dead against bling aluminum simply for that reason. The stock composite Savage parts have some "give" to them absorbing stress. Not to mention bling is $$$$$
Old 12-15-2005, 12:49 PM
XtmSucks

ORIGINAL: Polar_Bus

If you mean upgrade a component that failed to an aluminum replacement, all you are doing is passing impact stress to a neighboring plastic component causing that piece to break. I am dead against bling aluminum simply for that reason. The stock composite Savage parts have some "give" to them absorbing stress. Not to mention bling is $$$$$
Could not have said it better myself....good call polar!

Spares....
Shocks deffinatly....mainly shock shafts and shock rod ends
Spur gears....plastic is the way to go....i keep a 49 and 52
Stock lower A-arms....Never broke one in 3 years but like to have one just incase.
One way bearings and pull starts. You'll goof up sooner or later and break one of them.

Other then that just some extra screws and your set. The savage is pretty tough so you dont need awhole lot.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:40 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also pick up a spare upright. I broke on just the past weekend jumping in the cold. It's the first part I have ever broken on my Savage. It was not a real high jump, just landed fully on the right front wheel and I heard something snap. The upgrights are universal, so if you buy one it will work for either wheel.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:42 PM
SavMT

Thanks alot guys, really helpful.

When I am finished setting up my truck I might do a beginners guide or something like that for my own purposes and also to help other learners. Using these forums and the search button finds alot of stuff, but being new to Nitro MTs there is alot of things which to me seemed a little hard to find out about and it would of been nice to have a single page with start to finish "required parts & accessories" and other things. Like lubricants and other fluids, best fuel, accessories needed after buying a RTR etc.

I'm sure with some heavy searching you could find every question asked at least once but a complete learners guide would be really nice and helpful I already have a semi-done list of to-dos so I'm already on the way for my own research purposes.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:53 PM
TyBryner

If you don't have a rotostart, I'd suggest an extra pullstart assembly. I broke three during the summer.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I should have just put the money from those pullstarts into a rotostart setup.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:05 PM
keith01

the roto starts are great but i would just buy the plate and the shaft because the gears strip easy in the roto box i use a cordless drill to start mine no sweating from pulling the cord or getting angry cause sometimes it seems like to much work
Old 12-16-2005, 04:32 AM
SavMT

The truck I am getting comes with the roto start system pre-installed from what I've read, so that's good. It also comes with a starter kit which includes the following:

Nitro Fuel Fill Bottle
Glow Starter C Cell type
Batteries: 12 AA and 2 C High output batteries
Battery: 7.2V battery for Roto-Start
Battery Charger: AC Wall Charger for Roto-Start battery

For spares so far I have got 3 x #8 OS glow plugs, and I have got on order 3 x 49T plastic spur gears. Hopefully I'll have all the parts I need to get going. I might upgrade to the Aluminum 3 pc. Clutch Shoe Set at a later date, but I will see how I go with my base setup. I am getting some Big Joes and 40 series rims aswell, but I will be bashing around the truck in it's stock form for a while. Hopefully I dont have any serious problems, for me just learning to set it all up and get it running will be my first real objective!

Old 12-16-2005, 05:27 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: keith01

the roto starts are great but i would just buy the plate and the shaft because the gears strip easy in the roto box i use a cordless drill to start mine no sweating from pulling the cord or getting angry cause sometimes it seems like to much work
The gears on the rotostart do NOT "strip easy". As a matter of fact it's almost impossible to strip those two gears, they are made of heavy duty steel. I have 6 different engines all equipped with rotostarts, and the only downfall of rotostarts is dirty/oily oneway bearings that slip. Your biggest mistake is using a high torque cordless drill on a rotostart, WAY too much torque to be putting to your engine, if your engine floods, you could very well break or bend an internal engine component from a hydro-lock
Old 12-16-2005, 11:11 AM
cavv123

I also have a Savage 25 LE, the spare parts that I got when i first bought it were, besides all the other needed stuff to get the truck running, glow plugs, stock shock shafts, shock oil.

Cavv123
Old 12-16-2005, 04:03 PM
cchrider

glow plugs,
batteries
misc.screws
shocks
aarms
and what ever you would like to throw in there
cchrider
Old 12-16-2005, 05:19 PM
SavMT

Thanks guys, when I am done I think I will compile my list online for other learners. I really would of found useful a complete start to finish beginners guide listing everything required to get operational from the basic parts to get running to spare sparts, maintainence and lubricants etc aswell as a tip section for basic mechanical tips.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:55 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: keith01

*cough cough*

the only way to strip them(they are metal), is to have the engine hydro-locked, and then to try turning the engine over with a drill. This will eat those gears to pieces.

shock shafts. Prone to snapping
Old 12-18-2005, 07:54 PM
the dog

i live in very cold and remote area so i have alot of spare parts.
3 spur at 52 teeth(plus pads)
2 at 49 teeth(plus pads)
extra batteries for all needed places
extra plug ignitor
2 lower arms
4 upper arms
one way bearing
new pullstart(i use rotostart)
4 plugs
extra fuel line
fuel filter
extra servo
lots of screws
lots of fuel.(probably to much)
it could take weeks for me to get parts so i keep the important stuff availabe.