Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Your Opinion Pullstart vs RotoStart

Old 01-31-2006, 04:17 PM
tater259

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Opinion Pullstart vs RotoStart

Was talking to a friend a while ago bout pull start vs easystart ( or roto start ) On my nitro stampede I have tryed the pull start. I have alwways had trouble with a pull start. Chord would pull our or it would come un wound from inside never any good luck. I havent got my savage yet its being shiped but wandering how many of you prefer pull start over rotostart and vise versa. I was thinking bout getting a pull start for the savage for the convience factor of not carrying around a rotostart. Whats your opinions of the two?[8D]
Old 01-31-2006, 04:51 PM
DaveG55

Default RE: Your Opinion Pullstart vs RotoStart

Man, you may as well ask Ford or Chevy or Savage or Revo. People like what they like and you won't talk them out of it
The bottom line is every starting system has it's pros and cons. What you should do is look at the +'s and -"s of each method and decide what works best for you.
Personally, I don't like pullstarts all that much. My personal favorite is the ez-start system followed by the shaft style start systems (like Roto start) but I just bash. If I were to race I'd probably have a different opinion.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Neil E

Well I am a pro Roto Start guy. I do not have an issue with the Roto Start. Some say it is a pain to have to lug it around. I start my trucks and cars on the tailgate of my truck. I have had a difficult engine, I am was glad to push a button and not have to pull and pull and pull. All my vehicles are Roto Start. If you look after your equipment it will look after you.

Just my opinion
Old 01-31-2006, 05:10 PM
RCERFE
My Feedback: (1)

my son has a roto start 25. I have a pull start 4.6 I got a roto start for my 4.6. Lhs said to use the pull start for breakin as the roto would have a hard time starting a new 4.6 {I think it would start it juet fine} After useing the pull start i returned the roto. But as you say you always have trouble with pull start go with the roto..
Old 01-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Shoot_RS4MT2

I'd go for the pull start anytime.

I have the rotor start once when i own the MT2, its ok at first but after prolonged use, problem begin to start. First the rotorstart button keeps jamming. Then when the engine is flooded, the rotorstart will get stuck, and i have damage the gears in the rotorstart. Twice so far. And just 1 damn gearing is being sheared off... i have to buy the whole set. Cost me $50 here.

My Savage4.6 has pullstart and i am loving it. Easy to start. Plus I do not need to bring the quite-heavy-rotorstart everywhere i go. No problems..
Old 01-31-2006, 06:10 PM
dark321devil

Roto-start 100%. I've been using mine for over a gallon and works very well. Knock on wood. lol.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Buzzbait

I'm perfectly happy with pullstart or rotostart. Both systems work fine, as long as you know their limitations and what a flooded engine feels like. If I were forced to choose one, I'd probably go pullstart, just because there's less to charge and lug around.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:59 PM
-SomeGuy-

I had a pullstart on my picco .27 when it was new and it was nothing but a painfull experience, i swithced it to roto and been lovin it ever since.My collari had ps but i dropped 85$ U.S. for a roto conversion kit (needs new backplate, one way shaft and roto plate) damn expensive but worth it IMO.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:10 PM
Savage545

ORIGINAL: tater259

Was talking to a friend a while ago bout pull start vs easystart ( or roto start ) On my nitro stampede I have tryed the pull start. I have alwways had trouble with a pull start. Chord would pull our or it would come un wound from inside never any good luck. I havent got my savage yet its being shiped but wandering how many of you prefer pull start over rotostart and vise versa. I was thinking bout getting a pull start for the savage for the convience factor of not carrying around a rotostart. Whats your opinions of the two?[8D]
Sounds like you may have been pulling your pull start chord out too far, which after a short time will break the pull start. Despite a few problems I have encountered with pull starts, I still prefer them. You don't have to carry extra equipment around or worry about another battery. Another reason I like the p/s is because it allows me to "feel" the engine.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:58 PM
savagebeasted

i have a savage 25 and i like the rotostart because you dont get tired from pulling and pulling, but id have to agree that charging and carrying it around can be a pain.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:00 PM
gixxernoob

i started on a roto start system when i began my nitro hobby and just purchase the LRP z.28r engine w/pull start... i must say after the frustration of pulling that damn thing to oblivion plus all the cuts on my fingers from that tight spot... i prefer my rotostart :0)... eventhough its a little pricey the convinience is well worth it...
Old 01-31-2006, 10:25 PM
SavageHoon

What a great topic, pull cord versus push button.

a pull is great for only having to lug a glo starter in your pocket.

ever had trouble starting with a string on a 40 + celcius day. you'll wish for a rotostart.

I carry a small bag attached to my waste with a few tuning tools and roto in. too easy.

Yes you can strip gears and maybe even damage a con rod, if you know the sound of a flooded engine, DON'T FORCE IT with a rotostart. Think of it as a pull start that won't give up unless you let go of something.

YES HPI make a good rotostart with a ****e switch that goes with the stock Savage 25, but it is easily fixed or upgraded by many brands. I just swapped the ****ty little under rated switch with a 10 amp micro switch and off you go again.

pull starts wear and are cheaper to replace in most cases if only a string is damage/worn.

rotostarts have a habbit of prematurely wearing the o/w bearing and shaft if your motor if it is contankerous or a real biatch.

When I run in my motors and they stall ever 5minutes till you get the idle settings right, much prefer a rotostart.

If you race then Weight is always a concern. depending on who makes the mechanism, it may be a consideration.

Priming the Engine is easier with a roto start. block the stinger and 3 seconds on the button and your off racing

personally rather not be tugging on the back of the engine at 30cm lengths, jam it home and turn it on!!!

Old 02-01-2006, 03:58 AM
Cyberfyn

Roto for newb's.
Pull for pro's.

Ian F.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:18 AM
SavageHoon

Well I guess thats why a rotostart cost more.. Pro's have no money coz they spent it on tugging their engine.

Hey if you want to pull your truck, good luck but this guy really wanted a run down on the pro's and con's.

Go Pull I SAY, I'll just press the right button!!
Old 02-01-2006, 05:29 AM
:Green:

If you have a good tune and know your truck you wont have to "pull and pull and pull" mine starts on the first pull, second if its cold outside.
I havent had a single issue with the pull start..

and FORD all the way.... [8D]
Old 02-01-2006, 05:45 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: tater259

The #2 most argued topic p/s vs. r/s

The rotostart is extremely simple for the novice to help get an engine started.
The rotostart has many needed components to get the whole system to function.
The rotostart can and will leave you "crankless" if you don't have a spare CHARGED stick pack.
you can do damage over-cranking a flodded engine with a rotostart.
rotostarts beat the CRAP out of oneway bearings

p/s are simple in the sense they have a simple chord and a handle to get them to function.
p/s take far more practice and PAITENTS to get them to function dependably day to day.
p/s do break, and when they do, it usually means the end of the day.
p/s almost ALWAYS break from improper novice starting methods, not the p/s's themselves.

This is about the best I can sum them up from my experiences with both. I use both on a daily basis, I like them both, and sometimes I hate them both. For the beginner, I definately recommend the rotostart.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:24 PM
RCMaddict

Well personally I would prefer the pull start, as the roto only kills the OWB and you need to carry around the stuff. GO PULL!
Old 07-15-2008, 04:37 PM
one-syk

the people that have problems with pullstarters, are the same people that dont know how to use a pull start.

you dont need to pull the cord all the way out to spin the engine over, just pull it a few inches above the top of the coolong head.

your not trying to get the thing to hit 40k rpm....you just trying to rotate the engine enough to get compression, and ignition.

i always sell my new rotostart's and use the $ to buy 2-3 pull starter's...i like having spare's.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:56 PM
dadirtsavage

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Man, you may as well ask Ford or Chevy or Savage or Revo. People like what they like and you won't talk them out of it
The bottom line is every starting system has it's pros and cons. What you should do is look at the +'s and -"s of each method and decide what works best for you.
Personally, I don't like pullstarts all that much. My personal favorite is the ez-start system followed by the shaft style start systems (like Roto start) but I just bash. If I were to race I'd probably have a different opinion.
Well, rotostarts bust alot more. you have to cary more supplies. charge it and buy battery charger. pull start lasts longer. you dont gott a have any suppllies.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:10 PM
JuiceMT2

My MT2 has Roto Start and I always hated bringing it with me and charging the battery. I think I'll put a pull start on my Savage X 4.6.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:44 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i had a pull ended up ripping the cord out i got a roto, i was gunna get one anyways but hadn't ordered it, after spending 10-15 min pulling and gettin scraped nuckles and blisters i was an easy conver the battery thing is annoying but i got hpi's big ol' rollin' pit bag (thanks dad) so i can dump it all in thier today i did have 3 batts give me trouble but they all need to be cycled all my packs could use some quality time on the zapper, but other than that no going back to pull i just gotta figure out a way to get a roto back plate on my choas

the lug
Old 07-16-2008, 12:03 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Cyberfyn

Roto for newb's.
Pull for pro's.

Ian F.
IMO, other way around.

Rotos are good at masking tuning issues on startup. If you're a newbie, you're gonna yank that pull cord a couple times, and say "***?" and figure out why it's not starting...whereas with most newbies, they'll hold that rotostart button for a minute if it doesn't start right away.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Jaybo

Rotos are good at masking tuning issues on startup.
you say that like it's a bad thing?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I vote Roro. It eliminates user error that many pull starters suffer. (I know first hand, I runied too many pull starters by my own mistakes.)
Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Wisconsin Nitro

pull are ftw

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.