Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage won't roll back. Is this NORMAL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 11:35 AM
C32AMG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage won't roll back. Is this NORMAL?

Just installed the engine on my 4.6SS. Without the engine the chasis rolls front and back just fine.
Now that I installed the engine it rolls foward but will not roll back, is this normal?

With the wheels off the ground if I roll one of the real wheels, the front wheels turn in the same direction just at a slower rate. The other rear wheel spins in the opposite direction.
With the wheels off the ground I can spin the wheels in both directions foward and backwards (ofcourse the other rear wheel spins in the opposite direction).
Old 02-18-2006, 01:28 PM
jkrustchinsky
Banned
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Savage won't roll back. Is this NORMAL?

dude i dont think thats normal, something sounds really wrong there,
Old 02-18-2006, 01:30 PM
benzzyo5

yeah,see if ur spur gear is stuck or jammed?
Old 02-18-2006, 01:44 PM
-SomeGuy-

This happened to me once and the problem was that my spur was missing 2 teeth at one spot and it was catching on the bell.
Your wheels should be turning in opposite direction when you manually turn them as long as your diff is intact, with all the wheels off the ground your back wheels shouldnt even turn if your turning the front one unless your blocking the other one then it will transfer to the back.

Check the spur and if thats not it then you have to strip it and have a look in the diffs, unless its from the tranny but i wouldnt know because thats the only part of my truck i havent touched yet but it doenst sound like tranny trouble to me...
Old 02-18-2006, 02:56 PM
jkrustchinsky
Banned
My Feedback: (7)

you might have a gear broken inside your transmission?? i have no idea why its doing that, i think he would notice if spur teeth are missing cause they usually make noise, maybe your clutch shoes are put on wrong and they are grabbing the clutch bell when its rolling backwards??
Old 02-18-2006, 02:59 PM
MaRtInHAHAH

man... thats a easy problem to fix, i think ur diff is ****ed up or sumthing
Old 02-18-2006, 10:33 PM
mt2DirtMan

I had this SAME problem and just got it fixed tonight. Ended up being user error. I got my savage used and it would not shift into 2nd. Well I adjusted it and messed with the wrong screw or something. The set screw had worked its way out, catching on something. We put the set screw back in nice and tight and wham-o, problem solved.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:27 PM
C32AMG

sounds like I wont be breaking it in today. Thanks for the feed back I'll start taking bits apart to see what I find.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:03 PM
C32AMG

Here's what you guys think could be wrong. The brakes was obtained from a diferent thread (someone else is having the same problem) and they think the brakes might be grabbing when call rolls back.

Spur Gear
Clutch
Diffs
Tranny
Brake

Just did some tinkering with the truck, here's what I found. I removed the engine the truck rolls back and forth just fine. So I think it's something I put together So it has to be someting on the engine or that the egnie is touching. Clutch, Spur, Brake. Tranny and diff work fine with the engine off (truck roll back and forh)

With the engine off I tried turning the spur gear, It turns fine in both directions with little effor and all the teeth are there. When I turn the spur the truck does roll back, so I dont think it's the spur gear.

With the engine off I rmove the clutch bell I thought it migh be touching the brakes and might cause them to engage. with the clutch bell off the truck rolls back and forth.
But it also means the clutch has nothing to engage against so it could still be the clutch and or brakes.

Next I removed the clutch and put the clutch bell back on. TRUCK WILL NOT ROLL BACK. So it's not the clutch since there's no clutch. So at this point it looks like it's the brakes or the clutch bell rubbing something.

Any Ideas.