Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

LSN wont tighten

Old 02-20-2006, 02:11 AM
SavMT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSN wont tighten

Every since I've got my Savage LE I've had nothing but trouble. My LSN wont tighten at all so I can't set it back to the base setting, it just screws in forever and ever and goes in too far it seems without stopping. I tried to take the needle out to see if it was crushed, but it wont come out either. What's going on here? It's making it impossible to tune because I cant set it to LSN to the base setting, it always bogs down when I accelerate at WOT and any attempts at leaning it out just makes it stall.

I'm starting to really hate this hobby and I'm close to getting rid of this truck already. Any help would be appreciated...
Old 02-20-2006, 07:35 AM
DaveG55

Default RE: LSN wont tighten

Since you've already screwed the lsn in so far you will probably have to unscrew it quite a ways to get it out far enough to clear the slide. You'll have to do this before you can reset the lsn.
To reset the lsn you have to do a few things. First you need to back out the idle screw (the angled one on top) so that you can completely close the carb slide. Next, hold the carb slide shut with one hand while gently screwing the lsn in until it bottoms out then back it out the reccomended number of turns. If you don't hold the carb closed then all you do is open the carb slide with the lsn. And finally reset the idle screw until you have a 1.5mm to 2mm opening.
Now, reset the hsn to factory settings and you'll be ready to tune the engine.
When tuning it's very important to make a short high speed run before you start tuning and between every needle adjustment. When tuning the lsn you need to let the truck idle for 5-10 seconds before you do the high speed run.
To tune the engine, start with the hsn. Tune it in 1/8 turn increments until you quit getting performance improvements then back the hsn back out 1/8 turn.
Now tune the lsn by turning the lsn in 1/16 turn increments until you quit getting performance improvements then back it out 1/16 turn.
Finally, adjust the idle needle until the truck will run but not try to move forward.
Tuning can be frustrating but once you learn it's not really all that dificult.
Keep in mind that any hobby has a learning curve. If it were too easy it would not be as much fun and that goes for ANY hobby.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: SavMT

Every since I've got my Savage LE I've had nothing but trouble. My LSN wont tighten at all so I can't set it back to the base setting, it just screws in forever and ever and goes in too far it seems without stopping. I tried to take the needle out to see if it was crushed, but it wont come out either. What's going on here? It's making it impossible to tune because I cant set it to LSN to the base setting, it always bogs down when I accelerate at WOT and any attempts at leaning it out just makes it stall.

I'm starting to really hate this hobby and I'm close to getting rid of this truck already. Any help would be appreciated...
The reason you cant "tighten" your LSN is because once you screw the LSN to a certain point, the CW turning motion actually causes the carb slide to start backing itself out. Turn your LSN CCW until it's flush with the linkage barrell. Now start turning the needle CW, take a 1/16" drill and drop it inside the slide gap in the carb. As you are turning in the LSN you will start to feel the drill "drop" this is the carb slide opening. STOP. Now you have the LSN "closed" . Most of the time setting your LSN flush with the linkage barrel is close enough to get your engine to start and run.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:10 AM
SavMT

I backed out the idle screw as far as I thought I should, the carb wont close anymore and it's still about 1/2 a mm open but the idle screw doesn't close the carb any further the screw just starts coming out above flush. I dont have any drill bits so I cant try that method Polar_Bus.

I just cant get it to the base setting, no matter what i do. I tried all of your suggestions, the LSN wont tighten and it wont "bottom out" it just screws in forever and gets a bit tighter to turn but it doesnt bottom out at all. Turning out the LSN 3 turns from this position isnt even close to the base setting and it wont start. It's still way screwed in, so I have no clue how to put it at the base setting because I cant get the LSN to stop going in! I'm just blindly unscrewing it until the truck will start and by the time I get to that stage I have absolutely no clue where it's set at and the truck runs really badly and any adjustments richer/leaner from that point and it just stalls or bogs down and accelerates slowly. I also have air bubbles in the fuel line which wont go away and I don't know why even if I prime it before starting...

It's annoying me, I've never once had good run because of these issues. Simply cannot reset LSN at all... If I get it to start, it smokes alot and either stalls or bogs down and runs slowly off the line and no amount of needle adjustments in either direction make this go away. It either bogs down on accleration or just stalls completely and there's no happy medium between these two.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:33 AM
SavMT

I also can't take the LSN out to check if it's damaged, doesn't come out and won't tighten in all the way... I'm not enjoying this hobby, it's just making me angry.

Just a photo of what the LSN "should" look like at the proper setting would be helpful...
Old 02-20-2006, 09:49 AM
MaRtInHAHAH

buy a new engine?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:53 AM
SavMT

Yeah great advice, not... Truck is barely out of it's run in tanks, it's brand new.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:01 AM
tndiverdown

Sounds like you may have stripped it. Time for a new carb or a new hobby.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:50 AM
SavMT

It's done this ever since it came out of the box, never once been able to tighten the LSN...
Old 02-20-2006, 12:19 PM
-SomeGuy-

Contact hpi im sure they will help...
Old 02-20-2006, 12:34 PM
kurtf5

you cant start this hobby and expect all to go well. Things much worse than that will occur as time goes by, tell HPI and they should send a new carb, or try to get the screw out somehow, it could be the screws thread thats been damaged, its unlikely to be the carb anyway.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:40 PM
SavMT

I emailed HPI but got a message saying not to expect a reply for several days I live in Australia so there is no local HPI to contact either, man this really sucks...
Old 02-20-2006, 06:23 PM
:Green:

Calling them on the phone works best. I bet they would give you a number and tell you to send them the carb and they will send you a new one.

sounds like it was broke when you got it.

LIGHTLY snug next time...