Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage too loud

Old 05-27-2006, 11:17 AM
crankshaft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage too loud

Ive had my savage 25 for a while and started getting a bit bored with the performance. I recently did some port work to improve flow and increase port and induction timing duration. the engine runs great and the truck is FAST. it has a ridiculous top end. the problem is that now it makes a awful scream and it is about twice as loud as before. it is driving the neighbors crazy and somebody called the cops the other day. does anybody know of a tuned pipe with baffles in it or something to reduce noise? I know back pressure will reduce performance, but i have to do something to make it quieter. if anybody knows of some way to reduce noise any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Chronic

Default RE: savage too loud

Noise ordinanaces usually don't come into effect until 9:00pm. Legally, you should be able to tell them to go to hell if it's just the noise that's bothering them.

On the flip-side, I don't run my Savage around the house for more than a few minutes just out of courtesy to my neighbors. It's twice as loud as my LST2 at full throttle.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:43 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Try using an [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD636&P=ML]exhaust deflector[/link]. Using a dB meter, the sound dropped around 3dB at 2 metres. Not much, but its a start. Also, I read somewhere about making a muffler from a 35mm film canister. I have mine somewhere, and it dropped the sound level almost 20dB (quieter than a gasoline powered push lawn mower), but it put too much backpressure on the engine and preformance went down the toilet. I think maybe if you used the film can idea with [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJF43&P=7]silicone exhaust tubing[/link] and filled the film can with steel wool and paper towels surrouding the exhaust tubing, then it might help reduce noise and not hurt preformance since a film can isn't much longer than a exhaust deflector. Or, if all that fails, consider getting a brushless electric truck. Noise is standard equipment for nitro R/Cs.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Timmahh
Banned

3bd at 2 meters or 6 ft is HUGE. in an audio sitiuation 3db is HALF as loud damn near beleive it or not.. i have a nice club pa rig, 15000 watts. 4 dual 12 horn type subwoofers,( love these things, you can feel the kick drum hitting you in the chest like someones there hitting you with their fist, not hard but hard enough at 100 feet) 4 dual 15 in mid range cabs each with a 2 in horn.. it runs about 135 db just UNDER unity. im useing about 2/3rd the amp power i actually have... to get to 138 DB and do it cleanly so theres near nill distortion and the sound stays pristene, i ll need to add twice as many cabs and amps.... 3db sounds like a small step but actually getting there it an undertaking...
the use of a deflector is great, even with noice ordenances there is a differance in a public NO and a commercial NO. Zoneing were you live is the key, and i dont mean the zoneing after fireing one up....... look to your county clerk for you zoneing codes for your place, if commercial you have more leeway, if residential, you still can be ticketed, but with that said, its not any different than a chain saw, weed whacker or lawn mower... they re whining. talk to the cops when they come out, and i doubt highly there will be anything they can actually do as long as your with in the laws. Radidio Schwack sells ok db meters for about 30 bux. and your Count Clerk will have the zoned db limits and timeframes for your area.
hth
Timmahh
Old 05-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Mech747

make a cherry bomb sliencer it works really well if it is made correctly cause i made one for my savage with the ribb pipe and the sound level is now less than a revo, but it still hauls[>:]
Old 05-27-2006, 02:25 PM
HeadRush ROB.21
Banned

[quote]ORIGINAL: Chronic

Noise ordinanaces usually don't come into effect until 9:00pm. Legally, you should be able to tell them to go to hell if it's just the noise that's bothering them.

yup dats true if ur running from noon-6pm who gives a F*** wat they say ur just trying to have fun and let them call the cops wat r they gonna do take u to jail or give u a ticket for running a lil r/c nitro truck

keep running
Old 05-27-2006, 02:30 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Mech747

make a cherry bomb sliencer it works really well if it is made correctly cause i made one for my savage with the ribb pipe and the sound level is now less than a revo, but it still hauls[>:]
Explain?

My Savage is too dang loud with the ribbed pipe also..
Old 05-27-2006, 05:17 PM
savageman90
My Feedback: (12)

you could also try the CVEC pipes for the savage....
Old 05-27-2006, 07:05 PM
crankshaft

I have an exhaust deflector. it did help, but not not near enough. I hadnt thought about just making a muffler. I might be able to do something with baffles that wouldnt make too much restriction. i could put it between the header and tuned pipe. like you said, ibrakefornobody, something about the size of a film canister. i like the sound of 2 strokes, but mine is ridiculous. you could probably hear it half a mile away. thanks for your suggestions, I dont think ill even bother trying to find out exactly what the laws are, im just going to try the muffler idea. but what is a cherry bomb silencer?
Old 05-27-2006, 08:06 PM
rcnitrohead

I took some plastic clear tubing and used it as a deflector but it actually amplified the sound[>:][X(]
Old 05-27-2006, 09:24 PM
boydie1

I recently put a SH (Golden Lion) pipe on my savage with the SH engine. It seemed to improve the engine performance and is a lot quieter than the HPI tuned alloy pipe.
Ribbed piped I'm sure were only invented to pi$$ of the neighbors
Old 05-27-2006, 10:08 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: boydie1

I recently put a SH (Golden Lion) pipe on my savage with the SH engine. It seemed to improve the engine performance and is a lot quieter than the HPI tuned alloy pipe.
Ribbed piped I'm sure were only invented to pi$$ of the neighbors
Well thats good to hear because I found a deal on a SH pipe so I'm gonna give it a try. I don't really know which SH pipe it is though. Anything should be an improvement over the HPI ribbed one though.