Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

MT2 - first time owner... Spares?

Old 07-10-2006, 11:53 AM
poor judgement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT2 - first time owner... Spares?

Hi,

A friend of mine just got an MT2 for his 40th birthday... Hes aware of the basic hopups, ie 6v battery, decent servos, failsafe etc - but what commonly breaks on these? Any ways to avoid breakages other than the obvious "tight screws and dont crash"?

Ive had the displeasure of owning a Cen MT for many a year, and know nothing about HPIs MTs. Are we just talking CVs and watch the engine mount screws? Or is it a case of more care than that?

Any help much appreciated.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Sparco

Default RE: MT2 - first time owner... Spares?

my friend just got one too, so far the engine head is scraped, put zip ties at the top of the head to protect it. get some REAL turnbuckles,the stock ones are plastic and WILL break. some 50-60wt shock oil to prevent sagging and give clearence oh yeah if you have a savage DON'T run over it
Old 07-10-2006, 01:26 PM
poor judgement

OK... turnbuckles. Ive got some nice fat ones here that will do.

We will see how he likes the handling before changing any suspension setup, I reckon.

Anything else to watch out for?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Sparco

get an exhaust delfector and aim it up ! oil gets all over the wheel and suspension. 4 bevel gear conversion
Old 07-10-2006, 03:07 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Being the MT2 is a stadium truck and not a monster truck you would do better in the stadium truck form. There is a 270 some page thread in it on just the MT2. I have one I race and you need to get alloy knuckles as with mine I keep pulling the screws out.
Here is a link to the MT2 thread
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1505231/tm.htm
Old 07-10-2006, 03:08 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: got_nitro632

get an exhaust delfector and aim it up ! oil gets all over the wheel and suspension. 4 bevel gear conversion
They do not make a 4 bevel gear conversion for the MT2.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:12 PM
46u

Is it the RTR run or the SS? If it is the ready to run there is a lot he needs to do.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:03 PM
jpolidore

A-arms, get aluminum knuckles and c-hubs. I would start there. I bought 4 packs of a-arms when I was first starting to drive. I hit everything, mailboxes, trees, fences, you name it I hit it. But by far the most common part I broke was the a-arm, I still have a spare set (LOL). A couple of my best upgrades were, c-hubs, knuckles, 6v batt pack, stronger steering servo and Lunsford titanium turnbuckles. That should give him something to do...
Old 07-10-2006, 04:13 PM
46u

I personally never had a problem with my A arms or C hubs just my steering knuckles. Mine original was a MT1 Racer but I have up graded it to just about the specifications of the SS other then the radio box and upper deck. Since the up grade I have around 3 or 4 gallons run throw it. If it is the RTR you need to shim the differentials and get 2 sets of heavy-duty ring and pinion gears, as you sooner or later will need them. I really like mine as it handles so much better then a 2-wheel drive stadium truck to the point I hardly drive my 2-wheel one any more.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:59 PM
poor judgement

Many thanks guys - apols, I didnt see or think of an ST forum/thread.

It will be mostly run on flat smooth grass, as theres a school playing field the other side of his garden wall... wont be needing any alloy arms, but knickles/hubs seem to be a point, thanks for that.

This was the kind of info I was after - hes 40, not 14... just the basic wear and tear items is all Im after, we wont be trying 20 foot jumps, backflips, OS .30s or any of that.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:07 PM
poor judgement

Its the RTR as far as I am aware - its just for a bit of gentle summer bashing, not racing or hardcore bashing/trying to kill it!
Old 07-10-2006, 05:57 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: poor judgement

Its the RTR as far as I am aware - its just for a bit of gentle summer bashing, not racing or hardcore bashing/trying to kill it!
Then I would run it till something breaks then worry about it. Glade to help how ever I can and have fun.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:31 AM
poor judgement

Cheers for the help.

Ive found some knuckles and C hubs in alloy, might grab him some for when he returns from his birthday hols - mud plugging his Land Rover in France, cant be bad eh?

Thanks again, Ill pop back if we hit any issues. Cant wait to see his face when he takes on my .28 Cen Funfactor tho...
Old 07-11-2006, 11:44 AM
46u

Cheers for the help.

Ive found some knuckles and C hubs in alloy, might grab him some for when he returns from his birthday hols - mud plugging his Land Rover in France, cant be bad eh?

Thanks again, Ill pop back if we hit any issues. Cant wait to see his face when he takes on my .28 Cen Funfactor tho...
Just a suggestion make sure they are billet and not cast, as billet is much stronger. Like I said in over 5 gallons never had a problem with my C hubs just the steering knuckles.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:17 AM
poor judgement

Hi again.. alls been good during run-in. A failsafe and 6v pack have been added as cheap insurance too.

Once it was broken in as per the enclosed instructions, we let it rip - ran perfectly. Till it stripped the front and rear diffs. Opened up the diff casings and its obvious that the diffs need a fair bit of shimming to prevent this.

The diffs were lost on the 3rd tank (post run-in) and the truck is only a couple of weeks old - would they be covered by the warranty?

If it is the RTR you need to shim the differentials and get 2 sets of heavy-duty ring and pinion gears, as you sooner or later will need them.
Youre not kidding, but I expected more life from them than 3 tanks of pretty sensible driving. We have shims at the ready.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:51 AM
46u

Hi again.. alls been good during run-in. A failsafe and 6v pack have been added as cheap insurance too.

Once it was broken in as per the enclosed instructions, we let it rip - ran perfectly. Till it stripped the front and rear diffs. Opened up the diff casings and its obvious that the diffs need a fair bit of shimming to prevent this.

The diffs were lost on the 3rd tank (post run-in) and the truck is only a couple of weeks old - would they be covered by the warranty?

If it is the RTR you need to shim the differentials and get 2 sets of heavy-duty ring and pinion gears, as you sooner or later will need them.
Youre not kidding, but I expected more life from them than 3 tanks of pretty sensible driving. We have shims at the ready.

I recommend you call HPI to see what they say. I know here in the states they give excellent service. Sorry to say on the RTR the differentials are very weak and why I made the suggestion I did above.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:27 AM
buggymangp

hi guys
i got the mt2 18ss kit on sunday
i had money burning a hole in my pocket
and i wanted a smaller truck than my savage.
i only opened the box. i think i`m going to wait for a rainy
day to build.
is there anything i should know about building or runnig this truck??
anything i should upgrade before i start building???
Old 07-18-2006, 12:34 PM
46u

Good radio, high torque steering servo, alloy steering knuckles, good tuned pipe. That is all I can think of right now. There are other things you can do but this is what I recommend first. All so there is a MT2 forum with over 270 pages that you should skim over in the stadium truck forum. The MT2 is not a monster truck but a stadium tuck. You will get much more help there.
Good Luck and have fun.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:22 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

I've been trying to break my MT2 since november when I got it. So far, I managed to get about a 200 yard run, and kinda hit a tree full throttle (I misjudged the distance), anyhow, the tree managed to reach out and remove both of the suspension arms on the left side.. this is the only parts I've broke, sunday I was running it up a jump talller than me and the truck was loving it!!!

the kit version (MT2/SS) does have the upgraded gears in with the package...

Old 07-18-2006, 02:48 PM
buggymangp

hey guys
thanks. yea i know the mt2 is not a mt.
i`m just to lazy to look at 270+ pages.
but i will go over the pages when i got time.
thanks again.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:05 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: thestratcat

the kit version (MT2/SS) does have the upgraded gears in with the package...

As well as all the heavy duty drive train, Savage CB and more.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:03 PM
poor judgement

ORIGINAL: 46u

I recommend you call HPI to see what they say. I know here in the states they give excellent service. Sorry to say on the RTR the differentials are very weak and why I made the suggestion I did above.
Got to be honest - I forgot to tell him about the shimming... doh!

The shop is replacing the stock gears for free, on return of the dead gears, and offering the HD set - front and rear - for just £15. Cant say fairer than that!

Shims are sorted too, he knows about the steering knuckles also.

Thanks again for the help, its spot on info. And big up to HPi for having good distributors with faith in their product... not something you see very often.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:55 PM
46u

One of the reasons I have 4 HPI vehicles is because how good there customer service has been. Not that I needed it much but when I did they where very good at rectifying the problem very quickly. I have heard the same thing from MANY people. Go for the HD pinion and ring gear shim and you should not have a problem. Keep us posted.